Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 11:26 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
Yes it's very real and if a person claims to be Christian but denounces any part of the BIBLE then they are not true Christians for example some belive HELL is not literal or the same thing this thread is about because if they belive there is a part of the BIBLE they denounce then they are calling GOD a liar which he is not.
The problem with that is the bible is interpreted differently by many different people. This alone explains the differences in Christian religions around the world. It's all based on interpretation so maybe they don't believe EXACTLY what you do, but they still believe. Once again, religion is something people use to prove to themselves that they are right. What I don't understand is how such a small minority of people on earth are "Christians" yet they seem to think they are the only ones going to heaven. The even funnier notion is that, for the most part, this entire "saved" thing is almost exclusively an American thing. I find it funny how people could think that practically everyone else on the face of the planet will be here after they disappear into thin air. Sounds like more of a twilight zone than anything to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 07:49 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,079 times
Quote:
Yes it's very real and if a person claims to be Christian but denounces any part of the BIBLE then they are not true Christians for example some belive HELL is not literal or the same thing this thread is about because if they belive there is a part of the BIBLE they denounce then they are calling GOD a liar which he is not.
Who said it wasn't real? Speaking in tongues (ie other languages) was definately very real as was demonstrated by the disciples who spread the gospel of Christ through this gift.
However babbling incoherently is not speaking a new or another language to spreak God's word.
The question I would ask regarding what is "real" or not is: Is whether "speaking in tongues" which now a days conotes not another languages but babbling is real. . .

Old 08-08-2007, 03:53 PM

292 posts, read 933,866 times
I beleive in speaking in tongues! It is the evidence that you have been baptised in the Holy Spirit. From what I can see, there are two different kinds of speaking in tongues. One is a gift from God where you receive it after being baptised in the Spirit, as a prayer language between you and God. The other is also a gift from God but is used out in public as in "tongues and interpretation."
I received my prayer language years after receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit and have also received the gift of tongues and interpretation.
Yes speaking in tongues is for today!!! I find when I pray in tongues more revelation comes to me.
There had been a time when a certain pastor and his wife were trying to tell me tongues were wrong. Yet I was always intrigued and open to it. Never afraid. I find most that are against it have just not experienced it.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:29 AM

404 posts, read 711,064 times
What about softly spoke spells?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:15 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,393 times
Quote:
I hate posts like this. Someone has their own interpretation of every jot and tittle in the Bible and if anyone falls out of line with this then they aren't a true Christian.

I've got news for ya buddy--if you study the original Greek and Hebrew you would find out that your belief in a hell of literal fire is heretical and unscriptural, and in addition it shrinks the power of God (the "fire" described in "hell") to mere physical flame. Do some research before regurgitating what the pastor said last Sunday.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:44 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
I very much see your point here Jeff! Fanatics scare me because they misrepresent Jesus on every level.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I hate posts like this. Someone has their own interpretation of every jot and tittle in the Bible and if anyone falls out of line with this then they aren't a true Christian.

I've got news for ya buddy--if you study the original Greek and Hebrew you would find out that your belief in a hell of literal fire is heretical and unscriptural, and in addition it shrinks the power of God (the "fire" described in "hell") to mere physical flame. Do some research before regurgitating what the pastor said last Sunday.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:18 AM

329 posts, read 1,442,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildebi View Post
Doesnt the bible say that there will be an enterpeter when someone has the spirit of God speaking thru them in unknown tounges?Gift) Does everyone in the building have the same gift at the same time even small children jumping and yelling along with the adults?or isnt it supposed to be an organized house of worship?
God is not the author of confusion. When a word goes forth during service there is an interpreter. There is an annointing, usually after Praise and Worship when this takes place. The church will become very still and this happens in an orderly fashion. When the word is false and not of God it doesen't witness to our spirit and one can sense that. Children are in their own service at my church, and babies are in the nursery. It isn't a big free for all. I realize I am just touching on this, but you could read 1Corinthians, Chapter 14 if you like. Or PM me. That is the Gift of tongues which is different from speaking in tongues for our own prayer life.

As believers we can all ask for the Baptism of the Holy Spirit so that we may receive the imparting of speaking in tongues. It is our heavenly prayer language. It is for self-edification, when we don't know how or what to pray for. It's a wonderful gift. I received it the night I was saved, just by asking for it. I know it is extremely difficult for some to comprehend, but I can assure you that there is no science behind it. It is my belief that one needn't speak in tongues to be saved. Pentecostals, Assemebly Of God, Non-denominational Chrstians and many more do believe and practice in churches where the "gifts of the spirit" are in operation. This would being fundamental Christians.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:50 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,079 times
I'm a non-denominational Christian and we don't believe in tongues today. We do believe that the 1st Christians had this gift as a way to spread the gospel. Again, the word "tongue" in Greek simply means "language." So the early Christians had the gift of speaking in a new language, a language unknown to them to help spread the word.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:03 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
However babbling incoherently is not speaking a new or another language to spreak God's word.
The question I would ask regarding what is "real" or not is: Is whether "speaking in tongues" which now a days conotes not another languages but babbling is real. . .
What you consider "babbling" is another language, It may sound like mumbo jumbo but doesen't any foreign language sound that way? Millions of believers speak in tongues, some having totally unique tongues, a lot being the same. It is real.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:00 PM

401 posts, read 685,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FROMCATOGA View Post
I've heard of Christians that dismiss the fact that Speaking in Tongues is still real. They believe it died out in the 1st Century...

If you are a Christian, do you believe in Speaking in Tongues, or do you think it's out-dated?

I for one believe it's real, and just like the Bible states, it's praying in the spirit, communicating perfectly with the Father.

I was baptized in the Holy Spirit, with the evidence in Speaking in Tongues back in 2003, and when I first started, it was as if I was learning a new language, just like a baby does... But now, I speak in the spirit, as if my new language is becoming fluent.

While I believe speaking in tongues can happen I don't believe that the garbled nonsense allot of "preachers' spew is the real Mc Coy.

Acts 2: 4-8 Describes tongues being spoken, the people were speaking real language that people from foreign countries understood. It wasn't yelling words that no one understands. A case can be made in scripture for speaking a language only God understands but that language is for God to hear and for personal edification, not to fill the collection plate.

Speaking in tongues is mostly a missionary tool. If you have people in the room that speak a foreign tongue speaking in tongues can be a great thing, but if it is abused to the point that Church services turn into circus acts it scares true seekers away from the Church. And to me turning a person away from God is one of the worst things a person can do.

Last edited by wzippler; 08-10-2007 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Changed a perfectly innocent word to something else because it was **** out and made my post look dirty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality