Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 04:19 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Thou shalt not kill is a mistranslation. From the Hebrew it reads "Thou shalt not murder." But further than that, I think it really is beyond disgusting that people think they have the right to say that is or that person is doomed to hell because he or she killed himself or herself due to mental or other illness. That type of pontification by bystanders rooting from the benches is truly evil. They should hang their heads in shame.
OOOOK, let's see...you can sit there and say we have no right to say someone is doomed for hell (more or less that we are trying to "judge" them), yet YOU judge those that do not agree with YOUR philosophy and we/they "should hang their heads in shame"...hmmmmmm

As for the "mistranslation"...tell me, what's the difference between someone pointing a gun at someone else and pulling the trigger or them pointing it at themselves and pulling the trigger? Ok, as a whole one is malicious and intended to hurt/kill someone ELSE and one is intended to hurt/kill one's SELF! So are you saying that it is murder to "kill" someone else, but cannot be considered murder (at least in the eyes of God) to kill yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 04:22 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,511,188 times
So if someone is mentally ill and kills him or herself, that is not suicide? What is it then? Is there a new name for it? I mean, I could see saying that so and so died from mental illness which is actually more apt, but that is not how people use the term suicide. I hear "religious" people at work speak of depression as a weakness not an illness. It would seem to me to follow that if depression is not an illness but a weakness or lack of belief than all suicide is a sin and we are back to square one.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:28 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,511,188 times
You have the right to say whatever you think and you are correct that I am making a "judgement" It just seems cruel to say this about someone who is/was in pain and to the family. Maybe I am kinder than you are. (I don't want to say more Christian.) There is a huge difference in the translation of that one word, in a legal, spiritual and moral context.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:32 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
So if someone is mentally ill and kills him or herself, that is not suicide? What is it then? Is there a new name for it? I mean, I could see saying that so and so died from mental illness which is actually more apt, but that is not how people use the term suicide. I hear "religious" people at work speak of depression as a weakness not an illness. It would seem to me to follow that if depression is not an illness but a weakness or lack of belief than all suicide is a sin and we are back to square one.
yes it is suicide but it wasn't a willful act made by a sound mind therefore is forgiveable

Just like...let's say.... someone takes pain medicine they go to sleep and wake up an hour later but don't remember they took the meds so they take more
possibly they OD and die
Is that suicide
Technically yes

WAS IT WILLFUL......NO

Old 05-06-2007, 05:59 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Nowhere in the Bible does God compartmentalize sin and reserve grace only for those who commit "acceptable" sins. If the person who committed suicide, at some time accepted Jesus death on the cross as payment for their sin and asked Him into their life, they are forgiven. But even though God's grace is sufficient and forgiveness is available in suicide, it should never be thought of as permission to follow through with the temptation to commit suicide. It is an act of rebellion against God and it does violate the Ten Commandments. But God is faithful to keep His Word, if a person has ever taken a step to receive Christ as Savior,nothing can alter the truth that has children of God we are forgiven. Does God forgive suicide, yes He does.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:12 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
yes it is suicide but it wasn't a willful act made by a sound mind therefore is forgiveable

Just like...let's say.... someone takes pain medicine they go to sleep and wake up an hour later but don't remember they took the meds so they take more
possibly they OD and die
Is that suicide
Technically yes

WAS IT WILLFUL......NO
Thank you, I couldn't have said it better.
Webster, there is a big difference between killing intentionally/willingly and killing out of malicious intent and rebellion.
As for being "kinder" than me, if that's what you want to believe, go for it. I have nothing to prove to you and there are plenty of other people on here that know me better than that

Old 05-06-2007, 06:49 PM

158 posts, read 868,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I was always taught, and still truly believe, that suicide is the ONE sin that God cannot/will not forgive. Why you might ask? Because, as it is written "thall shalt not kill". What is suicide? It is a person KILLING himeself. If he kills himself, he can no longer confess his sins and ask God for forgiveness. Now, I suppose that MAYBE the person could talk (pray) to God and ask for forgiveness before he actually takes his life, and therefore I guess that would be between him and God thereafter...HOWEVER, if someone was really desperate enough to kill himself and if at the last minute he did decide to pray to God, I think God would give him a change of heart and show him that life can be GOOD! It's a matter of seeking God's Will...and I really do not believe that God WILLS ANYONE to kill themself!

That is a good point. You can not ask for forgiveness once you are dead. Every one has alot of good points. I guess after reading all this What I am thinking is being a Christian as long as you believe Jesus died on the cross to save us for our sins and accept him in your heart you are going up. Now maybe the person that commited suicide did not accept him? Or maybe they did not know any better.

I just want to say I am in now way judging who goes and who does not I just try my best to know what the bible says and believe that.

I think people break commandments all the time and that does not mean they are going to hell.

I really like reading alll these replys they are very informative/helpful. I have alot to learn

Old 05-06-2007, 06:54 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIL View Post
That is a good point. You can not ask for forgiveness once you are dead. Every one has alot of good points. I guess after reading all this What I am thinking is being a Christian as long as you believe Jesus died on the cross to save us for our sins and accept him in your heart you are going up. Now maybe the person that commited suicide did not accept him? Or maybe they did not know any better.

I just want to say I am in now way judging who goes and who does not I just try my best to know what the bible says and believe that.

I think people break commandments all the time and that does not mean they are going to hell.

I really like reading alll these replys they are very informative/helpful. I have alot to learn
I think you are very intelligent. You've got the best idea, study the Bible and let God speak to your heart. And we ALL have a lot to learn!

Old 05-06-2007, 08:32 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I have never read anything in the Bible that says suicide will keep you out of heaven. Only not trusting (unbelief) in Jesus Christ do that. Now...did the person trust Jesus as his Savior? That is between him and God and none of us can judge that.
The Bible does not specifically address the issue of suicide. I agree with Fl TN Nana here. Gods know the heart. Any conclusions we might make about suicide are inferred from other scriptures.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:46 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
I think the Truth lies in these Saints' responses below.

Bottom line: The decision regarding the judgement of each person, suicidal or other wise, is God's.

Great posts, ILNC, Nana, and Kaykay

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Nowhere in the Bible does God compartmentalize sin and reserve grace only for those who commit "acceptable" sins. If the person who committed suicide, at some time accepted Jesus death on the cross as payment for their sin and asked Him into their life, they are forgiven. But even though God's grace is sufficient and forgiveness is available in suicide, it should never be thought of as permission to follow through with the temptation to commit suicide. It is an act of rebellion against God and it does violate the Ten Commandments. But God is faithful to keep His Word, if a person has ever taken a step to receive Christ as Savior,nothing can alter the truth that has children of God we are forgiven. Does God forgive suicide, yes He does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I have never read anything in the Bible that says suicide will keep you out of heaven. Only not trusting (unbelief) in Jesus Christ do that. Now...did the person trust Jesus as his Savior? That is between him and God and none of us can judge that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
The Bible does not specifically address the issue of suicide. I agree with Fl TN Nana here. Gods know the heart. Any conclusions we might make about suicide are inferred from other scriptures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality