Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 12:54 PM

158 posts, read 868,756 times

Advertisements

Does it say anywhere in the bible that if you take your own life you will not go to heaven? If so does anyone know where.

I am a Christian. A happy non-suicidle one. I was just wondering because well not recently but in the past I have been to funerals where the person commited suicide and people there are always saying things like 'Oh, he is in a better place now" and so on. I was told growing up that you do not get in to heaven if you do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 01:02 PM

253 posts, read 640,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIL View Post
Does it say anywhere in the bible that if you take your own life you will not go to heaven? If so does anyone know where.

I am a Christian. A happy non-suicidle one. I was just wondering because well not recently but in the past I have been to funerals where the person commited suicide and people there are always saying things like 'Oh, he is in a better place now" and so on. I was told growing up that you do not get in to heaven if you do that?
Well, in the ten commandments it says "Thou shall not kill" the real question is whether or not you count suicide as a type of murder. But I think that if you kill yourself, you are not allowing God to fulfull the plans he had for you. Think of if Moses were to have become depressed after he killed the Egyptian and so depressed that he killed himself. Why, the Jews would have never been liberated and we wouldn't have the ten commandments. I think God just doesn't like it when we play around with the power to take people in or kick them out of this life, this is why there are such commandments about procreation and murder in the bible. It's as simple as "wait your time" because when God feels you're ripe enough, he'll pick you up.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:09 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,097,299 times
I have never read anything in the Bible that says suicide will keep you out of heaven. Only not trusting (unbelief) in Jesus Christ do that. Now...did the person trust Jesus as his Savior? That is between him and God and none of us can judge that.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:18 PM

253 posts, read 640,816 times
No, I'm not saying that somebody who commits suicide is going to Hell, I am in no position to say where anybody is going, nobody is but God. I am just saying that I believe God would prefer for us to just endure and let him take us when he will, because no one of us knows what God has planned for us.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:32 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,244 times
The Ten Commandments is a start.

"Thou shalt not kill." (Exodus 20:13)

However, we can go on from there. Before we do let's look at the motives and practices of the devil. All would agree that satan is an enemy of God and Christians, and certainly is in no way going to be with God in the end. So, what does it say?

"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." (John 10:10)

"Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." (John 8:44)

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:" (1 Peter 5:8)

Look at what satan attempts to do.

"Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple, And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone." (Matthew 4:5,6)

"And ofttimes it [the demon] hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us." (Mark 9:22)

And look at this.

"And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers." (Romans 1:28,29)

But our Lord comes to give life.

"For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them…." (Luke 9:56)

So, now we come to the below verse to contemplate.

"Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him." (1 John 3:15)

Great question!

Old 05-06-2007, 03:19 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
Quote:
I have never read anything in the Bible that says suicide will keep you out of heaven. Only not trusting (unbelief) in Jesus Christ do that.
So maybe I can kill myself but my atheism is what's really going to keep my out of heaven. I don't believe in heaven anyway but consider what someone who does commit suicide might be going through. Sometimes you'll hear about a kid at school who's picked on and bullied to the point that they just can't take it anymore and they take their own life. Sadly, it happens fairly often. So is God going to pick up where the bullies left off and punish this kid for eternity? I don't believe in any of that but many people do.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:33 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,211,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIL View Post

(1 Corinthians 3:16-17 NIV) [16] Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? [17] If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple

(Romans 14:79 NIV) [7] For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. [8] If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. [9] For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. This passage shows that our lives are in Christ's hands. We live for Christ and we die for Christ, not for ourselves.

God is the One who is to decide when and how a person should die. To take that power into your own hands, according to the Bible, is blasphemy to God.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:47 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,360 times
I was always taught, and still truly believe, that suicide is the ONE sin that God cannot/will not forgive. Why you might ask? Because, as it is written "thall shalt not kill". What is suicide? It is a person KILLING himeself. If he kills himself, he can no longer confess his sins and ask God for forgiveness. Now, I suppose that MAYBE the person could talk (pray) to God and ask for forgiveness before he actually takes his life, and therefore I guess that would be between him and God thereafter...HOWEVER, if someone was really desperate enough to kill himself and if at the last minute he did decide to pray to God, I think God would give him a change of heart and show him that life can be GOOD! It's a matter of seeking God's Will...and I really do not believe that God WILLS ANYONE to kill themself!

The body is the temple of God and is to be honored.
1 Corinthians 6 19-20
19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? 20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body[c] and in your spirit, which are God’s.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:09 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,512,816 times
Thou shalt not kill is a mistranslation. From the Hebrew it reads "Thou shalt not murder." But further than that, I think it really is beyond disgusting that people think they have the right to say that is or that person is doomed to hell because he or she killed himself or herself due to mental or other illness. That type of pontification by bystanders rooting from the benches is truly evil. They should hang their heads in shame.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:13 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,211,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Thou shalt not kill is a mistranslation. From the Hebrew it reads "Thou shalt not murder." But further than that, I think it really is beyond disgusting that people think they have the right to say that is or that person is doomed to hell because he or she killed himself or herself due to mental or other illness. That type of pontification by bystanders rooting from the benches is truly evil. They should hang their heads in shame.
Oh it is definately not that Webster suicide is a sound minded willful act for selfish purposes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality