Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2007, 05:33 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art R View Post
solidsquid

BRAVO!!!!!
I'll second that!

Old 05-31-2007, 05:39 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
We have immigration problems because we have a good economy relative to central america and rural asia.

We are a tremendous force in the fields that you mention, but a huge proportion of our PhDs are awarded to foreign students.

You might say that our technological prowess is being maintained on the backs of others.
I thought this was interesting, so I started a new thread...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...tml#post803060

Old 02-02-2010, 05:21 PM

86 posts, read 106,759 times
Ther is one way to convince somebody that we humans evolved from animals.

We've got cells just like any other animal. We have hair like mammals. We have eyes, ears, noses & other senses. We have brains. We have systems and skeletons.

So? Are we not animals?

Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsquid View Post
The "ample dose of ignorance" paragraph was actually a joke. However, it cannot be ignored that in many areas of science and technology we are no longer the only "player". Empires do not fall in just one day but one thing history has shown is that they usually collapse from the inside.

I'm not here to change anyone's mind simply to do what I can to contribute accurate information - as much as I can at any rate.
Solidsquid! How nice to meet you again!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:21 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havik View Post
Ther is one way to convince somebody that we humans evolved from animals.

We've got cells just like any other animal. We have hair like mammals. We have eyes, ears, noses & other senses. We have brains. We have systems and skeletons.

So? Are we not animals?
Unfortunately, Havik, there are still people on this very forum that believe there is a 4000 year old wooden ark sitting on top of a mountain that once housed 2 of every land animal.

Until you can convince these people that the above scenario is not possible, then you will never be able to convince them of evolution. That is why I refuse to even debate it anymore.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Great post, Solidsquid!

A book such as Evolution for Dummies would most likely not be read by those who most need to read it, unfortunately. They would shy away from it as a source of cognitive dissonance.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 AM

218 posts, read 397,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
The link below is interesting. The US ranks very low in first world countries in its belief in evolution. Comparitively, the US also ranks very low in its understanding of biology. Is there a link?

Low? According to whom?

Last night my wife and I sat down and watched the T.V. documentary on the NASA moon landings of 1968-1973. It was terrific, especially when the crew of Gemini 8 read Genesis chapter one to the people of planet earth as they orbited the moon. I broke down in tears remembering that very special moment. It was the first time I had heard it in 42 yrs.

Evolution is scientific FACT. There is a quote in this site that states "if you don't believe in evolution, then you may aswell believe that the earth is flat". It is a fact that we evolved from earlier species. There is no debate on this point.

When Jesus Christ returns to earth and the belief in evolution is finally destroyed forever I will shout for joy.

Why is it, than only 40% of Americans accept evolution?

Answer: beause we creationists have been using scientific fact and God's word to expose that ridiculous position for what it is: an enormous lie.

U.S. Lags World in Grasp of Genetics and Acceptance of Evolution | LiveScience

P.s My wife is American and we are moving to california, so please don't think this a "lets have a go at America" type thing.
Then this is what you should do about 'evolution' when you arrive in California:

Old 02-03-2010, 08:32 AM

218 posts, read 397,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Unfortunately, Havik, there are still people on this very forum that believe there is a 4000 year old wooden ark sitting on top of a mountain that once housed 2 of every land animal.

It's more like a 4400 to 4600 yr old ark. And yes, I believe what Moses said about it. I don't believe what skeptics who live four milleniums AFTER-THE-FACT have to say about it. What do they know?

The evidence is there for all to see its just that evolutionists have their heads buried in the sand and refuse to see what has been made available by creationists for decades.

like marine fossils found in the Himalayas:

Water ripple marks in the mountains of Germany, Utah, and Colorado:

Fossils by the billions...many of which were in the act of giving birth, eating other fish, or fighting with other organisms, all of which bespeaks of instantaneous burial by a great cataclysm that once destroyed the earth.

Polystrate fossils of trees extending through what is supposed to have been sediment and rock laid down over millions of years. Did all those trees actually stand for that long waiting to be covered over inch by inch with dirt and rock? No way.

Until you can convince these people that the above scenario is not possible, then you will never be able to convince them of evolution. That is why I refuse to even debate it anymore.

You aren't going to convince us because you have neither the Bible nor scientific fact on your side to begin with.
Best wishes.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:39 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
Best wishes to you as well Kirk.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwhisper View Post
Best wishes.
You know that I and others already posted explanations of these fossils in mountains and Polystrates and so on and argued that they actually disprove a flood rather than prove it. You do know this, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.