Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:15 PM

63 posts, read 103,372 times

Advertisements

I really want to know if you find yourself debunking other religions the same as Christianity. If you meet a Muslim on the street and he starts talking about Allah, do you treat him the same as you do a Christian doing the same thing? Just curious. I find a lot of anti-theists and atheists demonize Christians FAR more than any other religion.

In fact I've even heard some say that people are entitled to their own beliefs when referencing someone of Hindu or islam belief, but if it's a Christian, they are unintelligent, uneducated and intolerant.

Am i the only one who see this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 01:22 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
I dont think I demonize any of them. Being that my husband and his family have followed a religion that is completely misunderstood and feared by Christians, I understand the importance of tolerance. It is only when they start preaching and telling us what sinners we are and we are destined for hell that I get pissy. I have met a few Christians that have been very tolerant and very nice and many that dont push the creationism and Young earth concept on me. I try to treat them all the same. Same with the Muslims, many I meet never even mention their beliefs to me and if they do and I tell them mine, many just move on to other topics.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:27 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Same as Nea. I never go out of my way to ruin the day of a fellow human being by trashing their thelogical world. But the answer would essentially be yes - we would have the same issues with Mormons, Muslims, and Orthodox Jews as we would with a Christian just the same, and given greater access to debate and discussion with those groups, you'd find many of the same irritations.

I prefer the live and let live philosophy. Respect me for my decisions and I'll respect you for yours. Respect my family by not telling them they're going to hell or that they're a bad person for not believing in Your God, and I won't tell you that I don't believe there is one.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:44 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingpinl View Post
I really want to know if you find yourself debunking other religions the same as Christianity. If you meet a Muslim on the street and he starts talking about Allah, do you treat him the same as you do a Christian doing the same thing?
Yes.

Quote:
Just curious. I find a lot of anti-theists and atheists demonize Christians FAR more than any other religion.
Who is it that is most likely to knock on my door and try to convert me? Gosh...could it be...Satan? *church-lady moue*

Quote:
In fact I've even heard some say that people are entitled to their own beliefs when referencing someone of Hindu or islam belief, but if it's a Christian, they are unintelligent, uneducated and intolerant.
I agree, a lot of christers are unintelligent, uneducated, and intolerant. Hint: learn the difference between "christer" and "Christian" when used by someone like me.

Quote:
Well, you're at least not the only one who hasn't really thought it through logically.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:47 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
I really want to know if you find yourself debunking other religions the same as Christianity. If you meet a Muslim on the street and he starts talking about Allah, do you treat him the same as you do a Christian doing the same thing? Just curious. I find a lot of anti-theists and atheists demonize Christians FAR more than any other religion.

I think it is just your persecution complex at work here... I treat all beliefs the same...I don't see anybody "demonizing" Christians or any others...Some just get called on their whacky beliefs, their dishonesty and their hypocrisy.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:57 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
"[C]hristian atheists"! Give me a break.

I am against all supernaturalism equally. Christianity is the majority religion here in the USA, so naturally most rationalist statements are aimed its way. If Isam were dominant, they would be aimed its way.

Everyone is entitled to his/her own belief, of course. I am entitled to my lack of same.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:00 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,195,502 times
Quote:

If somebody comes up to me on the street (and unfortunately here it does happen pretty damn regularly) and starts talking to me about God, Allah, YHWH (yes, I know, all of those three are one in the same before anyone wants to jump me for that), Krishna, Zeus, Thor, Aphrodite, or any other deity of choice I'm going to say the exact same thing.. "I prefer to not discuss religion. Have a nice day."

Some Christians are unintelligent, uneducated, and intolerant. So are some Muslims, atheists, Pagans, Hindus, Buddhists... Some people are just jerks, regardless of their religious inclinations. And yes, you're the only one who sees that.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:20 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Interacting on CD is not comparable to interacting on the street, IMO.

However, differences aside, it is very easy to be caught up in self defense here on these boards. I'm learning to look the other way or to try to diffuse useless anger here. I strive to avoid creating more chaos... these days. But it's SO easy to play devil's advocate! Too tempting sometimes.

Keep that chip balanced & it won't crash so easily.

Kate

Old 11-06-2009, 02:21 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
I really want to know if you find yourself debunking other religions the same as Christianity. If you meet a Muslim on the street and he starts talking about Allah, do you treat him the same as you do a Christian doing the same thing?
Yes. However, Christianity is far more prevalent and affects my life much more than any other religion (if you include Mormonism in with Christianity), so there just happen to be more opportunities to respond to Christianity than other religions.

But often my criticisms can be much less specific; like when talking about a dictatorial creator that demands worship, it generally covers Christianity, Islam and Judaism at the same time.

And to tell you the truth, unless it is a door-to-door religion salesman, I avoid face-to-face religious debates (unless invited).

Old 11-06-2009, 02:29 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Bollux

You guys are christian atheists. Your acceptance of other religions is an exercise of your multi-cultural championhood.

The eloquent defence will begin now.
I think there is something to that.

Religion directly influences culture and your world view from both a macro and individual level. Even if you later reject your religion, it still effects how you think and how you function. There is no getting away from it entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality