Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 05:45 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingpinl View Post
I really want to know if you find yourself debunking other religions the same as Christianity. If you meet a Muslim on the street and he starts talking about Allah, do you treat him the same as you do a Christian doing the same thing? Just curious. I find a lot of anti-theists and atheists demonize Christians FAR more than any other religion.

In fact I've even heard some say that people are entitled to their own beliefs when referencing someone of Hindu or islam belief, but if it's a Christian, they are unintelligent, uneducated and intolerant.

Am i the only one who see this?
Speaking as an "anti-theist theist", if a person refrains from shoving their religion down people's throats, athiests, we non-Abrhamic Theists, and others refrain from "attacking" them and/or their beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 10:41 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default The Truth of Their Beliefs Shall Set You Free (if you listen)

In case my fellow atheists missed it: from the link of lkingpinl 's earlier post, above, this "gem" of tolerance and intellectual understanding:

"Without God, you have no morality, no meaning, no hope and no recovery, that is the atheist’s life which is unlivable. With God, and more importantly, with the person of Jesus Christ you get all four."

Oddly, literally billions of us normal atheist human beings "live" and exist in a moral, considerate manner, absent the ravaging influences of enforced, mandated and strictured Christianity.

The tiresome lists of historic barbarism of a few atheists simply demonstrates the narrow mental capacity of the name-calling, schoolyard bully mentality of Christian apologists.

(BTW, To boot, they even get it wrong: Adolph Hitler was, at least on record, a Christian. As were, of course, the countless ministers of The Spanish Inquisition, one of the most treacherous outbursts against the common man ever documented.)

This all tells me that if they had their way, there would be, indeed, enforced participation and acceptance of fundamentalist Christianity in our society. Just look at what the Muslims have forced on their enslaved society. The abject lies, the needless violence and sacrifices. Horrifying.

In other words, religion itself is unlivable. It celebrates ignorance, intolerance, power-mongering and persecution. That's been proven time and again, in documented history of man's continued suffering at it's hands.

Quite the convincing argument, huh? Thanks, lkingpinl! Oh, and Hail Mary. You'll need her.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:49 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
In case my fellow atheists missed it: from the link of lkingpinl 's earlier post, above, this "gem" of tolerance and intellectual understanding:

"Without God, you have no morality, no meaning, no hope and no recovery, that is the atheist’s life which is unlivable. With God, and more importantly, with the person of Jesus Christ you get all four."

Oddly, literally billions of us normal atheist human beings "live" and exist in a moral, considerate manner, absent the ravaging influences of enforced, mandated and strictured Christianity.

The tiresome lists of historic barbarism of a few atheists simply demonstrates the narrow mental capacity of the name-calling, schoolyard bully mentality of Christian apologists.

(BTW, To boot, they even get it wrong: Adolph Hitler was, at least on record, a Christian. As were, of course, the countless ministers of The Spanish Inquisition, one of the most treacherous outbursts against the common man ever documented.)

This all tells me that if they had their way, there would be, indeed, enforced participation and acceptance of fundamentalist Christianity in our society. Just look at what the Muslims have forced on their enslaved society. The abject lies, the needless violence and sacrifices. Horrifying.

In other words, religion itself is unlivable. It celebrates ignorance, intolerance, power-mongering and persecution. That's been proven time and again, in documented history of man's continued suffering at it's hands.

Quite the convincing argument, huh? Thanks, lkingpinl! Oh, and Hail Mary. You'll need her.
Another thing people like the other poster don;t seem to grasp is their complete ignorance of the entire human history prior to the rise of Jehovah and Christ.

Even giving some major padding to be nice, Jehovah's only been around some 4 thousand years, compared to the hundred thousand plus years humanity's been stomping about the earth.

Such people also seem to hope that the people they attempt to insult conviniently forget that over half of the world's popualtion doesn't look to their gods and varous religions either, and live quite nicely, thank you.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:21 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I really don't have a problem with anyone, as long as they leave me the crap alone. It seems like everyone is overly concerned about what everyone else believes religiously and politically, and when those beliefs are different from theirs they cry "idiot" and act as thought they cannot believe someone else isn't exactly like them. In fact, just this morning I witnessed some of my coworkers running another coworker through the ringer because they found he voted for Obama (after prying the info out of him). The idea never occurred to them that maybe everyone doesn't think exactly like they do, and that this is okay. My coworker doesn't call them idiots for thinking differently than him, why must they do so?

Old 11-08-2009, 10:39 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,398,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Well, you're at least not the only one who hasn't really thought it through logically.
Religion and logic are a oxymoron like military and intelligence, politician and honest, etc.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:19 AM

598 posts, read 917,329 times
An atheist is simply someone who holds a denial position regarding God/religion. With that said, an atheist can not start denying anything until someone start advocating God/religion first. Guess who in America advocating God/religion the most? Christians. That's why you see Christians being on the other side of the debate with atheists most of the times.

Many Muslims are far more brainwashed than Christians. But, they keep their religious matters to themselves most the times.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:30 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
An atheist is simply someone who holds a denial position regarding God/religion.
No! it is not the denial position, but the realistic position. No gawds, no heaven, hell, purgatory, limbo, 72 virgins or any of the other hokus pokus of any of the worlds fictitious belief systems, that is the reality as seen by those that don't have their head filled with the delusion of gawds.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:20 PM

598 posts, read 917,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No! it is not the denial position, but the realistic position. No gawds, no heaven, hell, purgatory, limbo, 72 virgins or any of the other hokus pokus of any of the worlds fictitious belief systems, that is the reality as seen by those that don't have their head filled with the delusion of gawds.
Realistic position = denial position, in this case.

Yes, agreed.

(If I defined atheist as someone who is realistic, theists would have a problem with it.)

Old 11-08-2009, 01:36 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Quote:
I really want to know if you find yourself debunking other religions the same as Christianity. If you meet a Muslim on the street and he starts talking about Allah, do you treat him the same as you do a Christian doing the same thing? Just curious. I find a lot of anti-theists and atheists demonize Christians FAR more than any other religion.

In fact I've even heard some say that people are entitled to their own beliefs when referencing someone of Hindu or islam belief, but if it's a Christian, they are unintelligent, uneducated and intolerant.

Well, I think it's all relative as to where one lives, isn't it? I'm a lifelong resident of the United States--except for my military years--so I'm surrounded here by far more Christians than any other religion, since Christianity by far the largest religion in America. I don't turn on my TV and see Muslim or Buddhist evangelists, nor do I read som many of their posts on CD as I do from christian fundies. Thusly, I simply have more opportunity to "debunk" them more than other religious zealots. (BTW--I found it interesting that you used the term "debunk" which means to expose as a falsehood.)
But rest assured, if a Muslim were to press his deranged views in my face I would gladly and enthusiastically debunk him as well. Ya see, I'm an equal opportunity debunker.
And I don't consider all Christians as stupid or ignorant. Many are fine people. I live in a very conservative and Christian-oriented city. I myself consider Jesus to have been one of the great teachers in history; just like Lao Tsu or Siddartha Guatma (Buddha) or, say, Martin Luther King. But it ends there: JC was a man. Thus, I consider some of my fundamentalist friends to be smart and well-meaning, but alas, sadly delusional.
And rather than "bunk" I consider Fundamental Christianity to be more of a bloodstained hoax.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:38 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times
Quote:

You are referring to Lefty/liberal types. They hate whatever is seen as being "on top" and love anything that is seen as having less power or adherents. In other words, they love the underdog. Hence, given that Christianity is the main religion of the U.S., they criticize it. But, given that other religions are in the minority they praise them or at least give them a pass.

I'm not a liberal. I can say that I despise all religions and all belief systems equally. Belief systems are for the weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality