Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:53 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
How are they LESS qualified? It seems to me that if a person has a degree in physics, they would be more qualified to teach science. Or english, or geography.

They may be poor teachers for all that, but how are they less qualified?
Just because you have a degree in something does not make you a good teacher. That is a fact. I have seen many teachers who can't teach worth a darn..hence they are not qualified to teach.
If you worked in the school system you would know exactly what I am talking about, sadly most parents send their kids of to school thinking they will get a good education, but our schools and teachers are failing miserably.

Not saying that some teachers are not great, and some schools are very good, but most fall way below the mark, and what they are producing proves that.

MBG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 03:56 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
kawgpz550, that has nothing to do with home schooling, but everything to do with poor parenting. I bet anything these kids would be anti-social terrors in school if they atteneded.
I know many home schooled kids who do fine in public high school. But chances are those kids will be a discipline problem, as they likely would have been anyway. Shame really!!
You are probably right on here. I cannot say for sure. All I have ever known is them being homeschooled and their complete lack of social skills. I cannot think of one person that hasn't at some point raised their eyebrows to these kids. It really seems that they REALLY needed (maybe too late now) more exposure to outside influence than what they are getting. One day a week in church is simply not enough. However, you may be right...maybe they would have turned out the same way if they were brought up in public school...in that case I am thankful that the parents chose to keep them at home
I'm sorry, I know that was bad and probably UNChristian like, but you would really have to know these kids . I guess I had better shut up before I get deemed as "intolerant" lol

Anyway, you did give me food for thought...thanks!

Old 05-13-2007, 03:58 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,701 times
Quote:
Just because you have a degree in something does not make you a good teacher. That is a fact. I have seen many teachers who can't teach worth a darn..hence they are not qualified to teach.

MBG
I see. So you are changing the definition of qualified.

Knowledge of a subject area is one way a teacher is qualified. Knowledge of teaching strategies is another. Ability to pull all of that together and be effective is yet another.

Your original statement contrasted people with only a high school diploma as being more qualified than people with a degree. This may be the case in terms of dedication, but is completely irrelevant to subject area knowledge, and is therefore a red herring.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
You are probably right on here. I cannot say for sure. All I have ever known is them being homeschooled and their complete lack of social skills. I cannot think of one person that hasn't at some point raised their eyebrows to these kids. It really seems that they REALLY needed (maybe too late now) more exposure to outside influence than what they are getting. One day a week in church is simply not enough. However, you may be right...maybe they would have turned out the same way if they were brought up in public school...in that case I am thankful that the parents chose to keep them at home
I'm sorry, I know that was bad and probably UNChristian like, but you would really have to know these kids . I guess I had better shut up before I get deemed as "intolerant" lol

Anyway, you did give me food for thought...thanks!
I have had kids like that in classes I taught, and it is not unChristian to say that their parenting is lacking. Facts is facts.
Depending where we move we may very well, put our son in school. But he is well adjusted and has respect for authority. He also has many publicly educated friends, so if we decide to, with some guidance he should be fine.
That is only if we can find a good special education program, they are awful here.
MBG

Old 05-13-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
I see. So you are changing the definition of qualified.

Knowledge of a subject area is one way a teacher is qualified. Knowledge of teaching strategies is another. Ability to pull all of that together and be effective is yet another.

Your original statement contrasted people with only a high school diploma as being more qualified than people with a degree. This may be the case in terms of dedication, but is completely irrelevant to subject area knowledge, and is therefore a red herring.
I am not changing the definition of anything. A monkey could take a prepackaged curriculum and give it to kids, and that is about all many teachers do.
A person with a passion for their child's education(regardless of their own) is MORE QUALIFIED to teach that child than someone who could not care less!
Many teachers are teaching subjects they never even took in college...
So you have nothing.
MBG

Old 05-13-2007, 04:15 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,701 times
Quote:
I am not changing the definition of anything. A monkey could take a prepackaged curriculum and give it to kids, and that is about all many teachers do.
A person with a passion for their child's education(regardless of their own) is MORE QUALIFIED to teach that child than someone who could not care less!
Many teachers are teaching subjects they never even took in college...
So you have nothing.
MBG
No. Qualification has to do with credentials and accomplishments, not a passion for their kids. That is good in and of itself, and may lead to good results, but that is not qualification.

Secondly, all the states that I am aware of require public school teachers to have a degree in their subject area. So if you know of people teaching subjects that they never took in college, they are either private school teachers who are not qualified, or the school district is violating its own rules.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:56 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
midnightbirdgirl wrote:
Quote:
And as a parent in a free society, I have the right, the constitutional given right to educate my child in the method I feel best.
Tell me Montana, if you objected to the basic curriculum in a school, would you not have a problem with the government forcing you to send you child there?
To be honest I think that the only reason homeschooling is even allowed is due to the lobbying by religious groups. There are laws that require children to be educated and there really isn't a right that's given to parents to educate children in any manner they choose. If anything needs to be protected I feel that it's the right of a child to receive a quality education. Also, when you said you object to the basic curriculum could you be more specific? Educators have established a broad based curriculum that is designed to teach students a variety of subjects that are necessary to be successful in life. There are certain basics that every child needs to grasp in order to even get a low paying job. There also needs to be a certain uniformity in teaching methods and curriculum that can be measured and evaluated.
You do bring up some valid points though. There are a number of shortcomings in our educational system and my sister who I mentioned has talked about many of them. She taught special education for many years and it does take dedicated teachers and good programs to make it all work. I also feel that teachers are underpaid for what they really do and I agree that there are teachers who really shouldn't be teaching. It takes a certain temperment to be a good teacher. However, I think you would find people in every profession who didn't make the best career choice. Still, I do support our public schools and I believe we need to invest in them and improve them in every way we can.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:24 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
midnightbirdgirl wrote:

To be honest I think that the only reason homeschooling is even allowed is due to the lobbying by religious groups. There are laws that require children to be educated and there really isn't a right that's given to parents to educate children in any manner they choose. If anything needs to be protected I feel that it's the right of a child to receive a quality education. Also, when you said you object to the basic curriculum could you be more specific? Educators have established a broad based curriculum that is designed to teach students a variety of subjects that are necessary to be successful in life. There are certain basics that every child needs to grasp in order to even get a low paying job. There also needs to be a certain uniformity in teaching methods and curriculum that can be measured and evaluated.
You do bring up some valid points though. There are a number of shortcomings in our educational system and my sister who I mentioned has talked about many of them. She taught special education for many years and it does take dedicated teachers and good programs to make it all work. I also feel that teachers are underpaid for what they really do and I agree that there are teachers who really shouldn't be teaching. It takes a certain temperment to be a good teacher. However, I think you would find people in every profession who didn't make the best career choice. Still, I do support our public schools and I believe we need to invest in them and improve them in every way we can.
You are very right here! Teachers are SOOOOOO underappreciated! Especially today when the teachers really have no effective means of dicipline! With all the school shootings as well the threats and dangers to the teachers
My husband (at 40 years old) wants to go back to school and become a teacher...I, on the other hand, say MORE POWER TO HIM! Teaching is not my cup of tea. I can teach my own kids, to an extent (although I really SUCK at algebra lol...but really good at English).

When I stated earlier about the possibility of homeschooling in high school, it really had nothing to do with my Christian beliefs. Honestly, from a Christian perspective, I more admire the Christian kids that can go through 4 years of high school and still be right with God, then the ones that are sheltered from it...it shows how strong they really are!
If I really did homeschool my youngest 2 during high school, I guess that would mean I was trying to shelter them as well But, safety does fit in there as well. During the Virginia Tech event...2 of our high schools were put on lock down within a couple of days of it happening! One because it was rumored a kid brought a gun to school...the other because a kid had a "list of names" he was going to "get".
It's HARD everyday sending your kids into the unknown...

Old 05-13-2007, 05:47 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
gawgpz550 wrote:
Quote:
During the Virginia Tech event...2 of our high schools were put on lock down within a couple of days of it happening! One because it was rumored a kid brought a gun to school...the other because a kid had a "list of names" he was going to "get".
I was working in Littleton when the Colombine attack happened and I could see helicoptors and hear sirens when I went outside of the office that day. It seems like it set off a whole string of school shootings that continue to this day. It makes you sick and it's completely senseless. Now they're looking for ways to increase security even more than it is now. Very sad.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
midnightbirdgirl wrote:

The question is simple, if you objected to the curriculum, that was being taught, would you send your children to school?

Each and everyone of us who pays our taxes, invests in the schools, the problem is not the lack of funds, but the waste.
I have no problem paying taxes to make sure American kids have educational choice.
Each child is entitled to a free education. It is an entitlement not a requirement. Public education is not really that old in the country, and the government has no right to raise and or educate my against my will.
These are rights that some want to take away, they are not privileges that we lobby for.
If the curriculum were so great our schools would not be falling way behind the rest of the World.Again, not saying that some schools are not very good, but here in California the bad far outweigh the good.
MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality