Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 04:35 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,473,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Well, then I am confused! (Big surprise there). Aren't the origin of the universe and the origin of life one and the same, (i.e how everything came to be), or at the very least, tightly intertwined? Because when people talk about the Big Bang, they try to use that to say that there is no Creator. So, is there a possibility of a Creator, in either case, (well actually, I think so)? See, I told you I'm confused. If you can explain the difference to me, you'd be doing something!

When people talk about the birth of the universe they are talking about a big bang that happened 14 billion years ago. Since then the universe has expanded but there is an end to it. It's approximately 14 billions light years away

However, if you were to reach that point, than you exceed the normalcies of a universe and enter a dark matterless state that is devoid of anything (similar to a blackhole). I guess you could say there is a beginning and an end to our universe but not to space and time. Our universe begins and ends. It may be a vast amount of space to cover but what's outside of the universe is another thing. I often wonder if maybe outside of our own 14 billion year old universe if 40 trillion light years away there is another universe expanding in our direction as well. There is no limit to time and space but there is to our universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 04:45 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,643,187 times
One of the things that's always struck me is the fact that the description of a God creating everything including life seems very much like what a human being would come up with as an explanation if he just didn't know the answer to begin with. Why do people want to believe that a living being is responsible for the creation of the universe? For some reason people are drawn to that explanation and find it comforting. I feel that when human beings are confronted with something that is unknown and a little frightening they tend to look for an answer that makes them feel good. The prospect of death and no longer being able to see loved ones certainly falls into this category. A God has a quality that's very similar to a human being in many ways, it's living, it's intelligent and self aware, it has emotions and it is able to communicate. If ancient people were facing all of the unknowns and fears in their lives doesn't it just seem natural that they'd invent Gods in their own imaginations even though they didn't really exist?

Old 05-15-2007, 05:01 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,290,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
One of the things that's always struck me is the fact that the description of a God creating everything including life seems very much like what a human being would come up with as an explanation if he just didn't know the answer to begin with. Why do people want to believe that a living being is responsible for the creation of the universe? For some reason people are drawn to that explanation and find it comforting. I feel that when human beings are confronted with something that is unknown and a little frightening they tend to look for an answer that makes them feel good. The prospect of death and no longer being able to see loved ones certainly falls into this category. A God has a quality that's very similar to a human being in many ways, it's living, it's intelligent and self aware, it has emotions and it is able to communicate. If ancient people were facing all of the unknowns and fears in their lives doesn't it just seem natural that they'd invent Gods in their own imaginations even though they didn't really exist?
...or maybe it is exactly as the Bible reports, the other way, around, God created US in HIS image.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:05 PM

646 posts, read 1,611,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
...or maybe it is exactly as the Bible reports, the other way, around, God created US in HIS image.
The problem being that there is no proof of this, and substantial amounts of proof pointing the other way.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:20 PM

kaykay wrote:
Quote:
I know that's the basic belief but some of the personality traits described in the Bible don't seem very God like, they seem very human. For example jealousy, anger and revenge don't strike me as what I'd expect in a God. It's stated that God is very jealous (I can't remember the exact wording). Why in the world would a God who made everything in the first place be jealous of the creatures he made because they weren't paying enough attention to him? Do you see what I mean?

Old 05-15-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
kaykay wrote:

I know that's the basic belief but some of the personality traits described in the Bible don't seem very God like, they seem very human. For example jealousy, anger and revenge don't strike me as what I'd expect in a God. It's stated that God is very jealous (I can't remember the exact wording). Why in the world would a God who made everything in the first place be jealous of the creatures he made because they weren't paying enough attention to him? Do you see what I mean?
Well, I think there is such a thing as righteous jealousy. That may be a hard concept to explain what I mean. But ...this is not the best analogy probably, but to explain it in human terms...if, as a Christian, I am married and have a till death do us part covenant of exclusivity with my husband, and he and some other lady fall in love, well, I would be jealous and I would consider that a righteous jealousy in that I have a right to protect and defend what is "mine" by covenant relationship. Now I know that we get off on another thread about the nature of marriage etc. but that's an argument for another day. This is the only way I know how to express what I mean by righteous jealousy. And my other thought would be that if as God states in the Bible that He is the only God, that there is no other, then it would be in the best interest of His creatures to worship Him alone because that is truth. (I think in most of the places, if not all, where God being jealous is alluded to, there is reference to worship of other gods.

Also, I've argued this in another thread, not with you, but my core belief is that God is entitled to act in ways that we may not humanly "approve of" because His motivations do not stem from evil as sometimes ours do. We may not understand the entire picture of what He is doing. For example, he says that we should not take revenge, but that He will. Double standard, no.
He is the righteous judge who knows the hearts and acts totally righteously with mercy and justice and truth.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:53 PM

I've got to go in a minute, but one more thought on this which I also recently stated in a thread about Jesus. Jesus does NOT act like someone invented Him. He is a most unexpected character. My contention is that it would be very difficult to "make Him up." He does what you do not expect Him to do and says what you'd not expect Him to say. Just a thought.l..

Old 05-15-2007, 06:01 PM

kaykay wrote:
Quote:
Jesus does NOT act like someone invented Him. He is a most unexpected character. My contention is that it would be very difficult to "make Him up."
I do agree with you on that point. The tone and message of the New Testament which is centered around the life of Jesus is quite different than the God that is depicted in the Old Testament. I think it's likely that Jesus was a real living human being in our history although I don't believe he had supernatural powers or was resurrected. However, his message is a nice break from the fire and brimstone that much of the Bible is filled with.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:10 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,214,904 times
Quote:
kaykay wrote:

I do agree with you on that point. The tone and message of the New Testament which is centered around the life of Jesus is quite different than the God that is depicted in the Old Testament. I think it's likely that Jesus was a real living human being in our history although I don't believe he had supernatural powers or was resurrected. However, his message is a nice break from the fire and brimstone that much of the Bible is filled with.
Montana I have a question that is in direct context of what you just wrote
you say you believe Jesus was a living person Correct?

Do you think his message (whether or not you believe him to be the messiah is irrelevant)
again
do you believe his message
do unto others as you would have them do unto you
and other statements fromthe sermon on the mount
to be everyday living rules
in other words whether he was messiah to you or not
do his words have an everyday meaning to you

and isn't that all he asked from us
just to be nice to one another??

Old 05-15-2007, 09:15 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,902,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
God seems to be such a complex, complicated thing, existing outside of time or matter.
Best definition I think I've ever seen.

Stretch, just what do you think a god would look/be like if you believed in a god?

Do you think that god would conform to your expectations/limitations?

My God doesn't. He is G-O-D...GOD~!

Last edited by Alpha8207; 05-15-2007 at 09:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality