Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 06:18 PM

678 posts, read 429,852 times

Advertisements

If we are all children of God how could he ever let his children burn in hell?

Matthew 8:12: “The children of the kingdom will be driven out into the darkness where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth".

Are those words from a loving father?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 06:26 PM

691 posts, read 420,425 times
the scriptures talk of the children of evil, which are not God's own. If one willfully chooses to be unholy they turn their back on God's adoption and can not be counted among God's own.

God did not say these things about God's own children.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:31 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
I don't know about those words in Matt...nor God 'letting' us burn in hell, Jumbo.

But, would He allow our beliefs to create a hell for ourselves on the Other Side?
Well, yes...always sending helpers/guides to help us wake up out of it, though...
never leaving us in the hells many create for themselves.
Always guiding us to Him, Heaven, our Home, never giving up.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:32 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstelm View Post
the scriptures talk of the children of evil, which are not God's own. If one willfully chooses to be unholy they turn their back on God's adoption and can not be counted among God's own.

God did not say these things about God's own children.
So we are not all God's children? How are children evil?

Old 08-30-2017, 06:36 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
The standard apologetic for this is that god is holy and cannot have unholiness in his presence and so those who have not appropriated his free offer of imputed holiness, cannot be with him. Fundamentalists do not see this as a problem because it is a solved problem and freely offered.

Ignoring for the moment whether modern Christian notions of hell are really scriptural or more founded in a combination of influences like Dante and mistranslation of key passages, the biggest problem I have with this notion is that a just god is incompatible with infinite punishment for finite transgressions, with no object other than to generate maximum unending suffering. Even human penal systems at least make a pretense of having punishments fit crimes and having an objective of reforming miscreants and making them useful members of society. Hell is just inflicting suffering as if it does anything to either make right whatever is wrong, or to improve the offender.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So we are not all God's children? How are children evil?
no where in God's word does it say that everyone just because they draw breath is God's. We are a product of flesh doing what flesh does.

If God so chooses to keep us, then we stay. in God's way.

practically speaking. if God does not choose me then i am not chosen God's will -will- be done.

Exodus 3:14 we were told here - God is who God is and who God will be

Last edited by mstelm; 08-30-2017 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: incomplete

Old 08-30-2017, 06:49 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstelm View Post
no where in God's word does it say that everyone just because they draw breath is God's. We are a product of flesh doing what flesh does.

If God so chooses to keep us, then we stay. in God's way.

practically speaking. if God does not choose me then i am not chosen God's will -will- be done.

Exodus 3:14 we were told here - God is who God is and who God will be
What does this word salad even mean?

I guess these points are clear -- you're a Calvinist who isn't even sure YOU'RE one of the elect. Hope that works out well for you.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:50 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
My take is a rock is God's, a dust particle is God's, a criminal is God's...nothing would exist if not for God.
I didn't get that from a book tho. So I don't know what the Bible says.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:08 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
What does this word salad even mean?

I guess these points are clear -- you're a Calvinist who isn't even sure YOU'RE one of the elect. Hope that works out well for you.
I can understand that post. That's kind of how I saw it too. Why fight it? That scripture about the narrow gate was the clincher for me. It seemed bizarre that someone could know that they were chosen among so many that should die. What does it feel like to be among the elect? What does it feel like to be damned?That post seems inconsistent with him stating someone could "willfully" chose to be anything other than they are. That puts a person in a position to defy God.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:37 PM

Never ending hell for a soul is not found in God's word. A Hell that wont go away is for the time God alloted. ( sorry for delay been occupied)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality