Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you see as the "lesser of two evils"?
God will ultimately save all of mankind 24 96.00%
God will condemn the majority of humankind to eternal torment 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:34 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Cannot...answer...question. The thought of becoming a Christian stops me right there. Sorry; I can't even pretend.
Agreed. Why bother? It doesn't answer ANY questions for me, partly because, as a scientist, I'm quite used to and accepting of the FACT that we can never know the answers to every possible question. Only by accepting God as the answer to everything is this possible, but that's no answer at all.

And I'll add that, for scientists, the acquisition of truth is also a lot of fun. It means there's an unending story out there, one filled with joy, love, tragedy and unknown consequences. This, obviously, is too much for some to handle and stay sane.

After all "It just happened because God works in mysterious ways, and please, let's not look any further!" is the real cop-out, isn't it?

The purposeful suppression of knowledge is entirely too evil and invasive for me to ever allow it back into my life. Pure and simple, Christianity is un-adulterated and corruptive evil, invented by man to lord it over the less intelligent, all while hiding under the skirts of "peace and love, my brothers!".

IMHO, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 02:41 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Aside from having no belief in any sort of god, the concept of being "forgiven" sticks in my craw. Forgiven for what? "Original sin"? Or behaving as my putative Heavenly Loving Father created me to behave, according to His game plan? Sorry, it doesn't fly.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:27 AM

457 posts, read 757,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
At the request of Sizzly Friddle, who read some of the posts in a similar thread I started in the Christianity forum, I would like to pose the following question to non-Christians only, please!

If you were to become a Christian which would be more appealing to you?
A. God loves everybody and all have a chance to be forgiven.
or
B. Most people suck and are going to burn and suffer and be tormented for all of eternity.

(Thanks, Sizzly, for the suggestion.)
I agree with a large portion of the other post.
Your question implies we are Christians or we want to be. "A" or "B" gives the Christian God a two-part question. I think a simple question would work better.
A. God will forgive all.(which would be my answer to your question)
B. God will not forgive all.

IMO, The Christian God does not seem forgiving but instead vengeful. The Christian God seems to need worship, which implies a lack of self.
I want to be clear, I would never want to pull someone away from their religious beleifs, that is a task most religions want.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:20 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,113,298 times
Oops. I linked to this thread through reviewing someone's posts and voted before I saw the title. I am a Christian!

Old 04-19-2010, 03:42 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,927 times
Obviously A is the better of the two answers. If I had to pick one that would be it, of course.

One of the biggest problems with Christianity is this insane doctrine that them (Christians), and only them, are going to heaven. Living a good life, being kind to others, and taking care of your family is just a respectable way of going to hell

For God so loved the world, he condemned the majority of it to burn and suffer forever. At least in the Old Testament his blood lust ended at the grave. Not so in the New Testament. He's turned things up a notch and now wants people to suffer for eternity.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,434 times
Non-Christians Only: What kind of Christianity would appeal to you more?

Neither. I don't believe in things just because they are "appealing." Whichever kind of Christianity that is backed by actual proof, would be the one that I would believe in.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:00 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
One of the biggest problems with Christianity is this insane doctrine that them (Christians), and only them, are going to heaven. Living a good life, being kind to others, and taking care of your family is just a respectable way of going to hell
You've obviously missed a lot of the discussion around here recently. There are A LOT Of Christians who don't believe that they're the only ones going to Heaven and everybody else is going to be damned. And the ones who do believe that also seem to believe that only the Christians who see eye-to-eye with them on every point of doctrine are going to go to Heaven. The rest will burn along side the Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus and atheists of the world.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:13 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
The rest will burn along side the Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus and atheists of the world.
Now, that's what I call a fascinating comment. Particularly coming from the person who started this thread in the first place! It appears that you have, how shall I put it, a certain bias in your view towards people who don't subscribe to your particular belief system.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:57 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,927 times
Quote:
You've obviously missed a lot of the discussion around here recently. There are A LOT Of Christians who don't believe that they're the only ones going to Heaven and everybody else is going to be damned. And the ones who do believe that also seem to believe that only the Christians who see eye-to-eye with them on every point of doctrine are going to go to Heaven. The rest will burn along side the Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus and atheists of the world.
You're right about that, especially if these conversations happen mainly in the Christianity section of this place. I rarely stop by for a visit.

I don't know many, if any, believers in real life who feel others besides themselves are headed for eternal bliss. It doesn't seem like a mainstream belief to me. Of course, my location (see: bible-belt, redneck, small town, south) may have a lot to do with that. I really gotta get out of here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality