Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:54 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwhisper View Post
Reverend1111;

Truth does not stop; it cannot be contained between the covers of a book.

Who says? Did God Almighty say that? If so I will believe Him. Even if there are truths beyond scripture then how do we declare it authoritative and therefore actual, eternal truth?

To assume that the bible is the only source of Truth is demeaning, not only to yourself but those who you relate your truths to.

So what is your source for spiritual truth and why should the rest of us trust it?

We each have a path and each of us have Truths. It matters not where they come from.

Oh, yes it does. Jesus said so.

"Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat".
Matthew 7:13. Hint: Jesus is the door (gate).

Best wishes.
The only way to discern truth is to take it to your soul because the mind does not know the difference. It's not up to me to make you trust or believe a word I say. My path is my own.

Yes, Jesus is the way, however, if the right way is not taught, you cannot enter in to the Kingdom. Hint: Belief is of the mind. What you need is something for the soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 10:38 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Those verses, in my opinion, have been edited to suit the writers...
Those exact (Luke 14:26) words of God appear in these five different bible flavors:

American Standard Version:
If any man cometh unto me, and hateth not his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Darby English Version:
If any man come to me, and shall not hate his own father and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, yea, and his own life too, he cannot be my disciple;

International Standard Version:
If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters, as well as his own life, he can't be my disciple.

King James Version:
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Young's Literal Translation:
If any one doth come unto me, and doth not hate his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, and yet even his own life, he is not able to be my disciple.

================

You need to get back together with your friends and family, they'll love you for it.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:20 AM

667 posts, read 940,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I've asked this question a lot, and get different answers. I, admittedly have not read the entire Bible. My question is, How could God separate parents from their children by allowing , lets say, the parents into heaven, but not their adult children?
If we commit sin we go to heaven, if no than to hell. It is very easy, without any separation.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:56 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Those exact (Luke 14:26) words of God appear in these five different bible flavors:

American Standard Version:
If any man cometh unto me, and hateth not his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Darby English Version:
If any man come to me, and shall not hate his own father and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, yea, and his own life too, he cannot be my disciple;

International Standard Version:
If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters, as well as his own life, he can't be my disciple.

King James Version:
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Young's Literal Translation:
If any one doth come unto me, and doth not hate his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, and yet even his own life, he is not able to be my disciple.

================

You need to get back together with your friends and family, they'll love you for it.
Fortunately, I don't read any of those. And I do see my family and I love them dearly. However, I only see them once in a while as they still abide in darkness. My brother is the only one who even has a glimpse of the light.
Even if we don't see immediate family, the whole world is family to me and I love all the same as I love my own blood family. When they come out of their darkness, I will then see them regularly. I cannot be around dark souls as it is uncomfortable for me and makes my stomach sick. Do you understand what I'm saying? It's not a matter of me not wanting to see them because I do, it's a matter of their own soul darkness that I cannot be around.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:56 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Fortunately, I don't read any of those.
I agree with you.

The hatred in the old testament has made me feel so sick. And now to see that Jesus is carrying the torch in the new testament.

I've moved recently, and the other day I was going through some [still unpacked] cartons of books and I came across my childhood bible [given to me on June 19th, 1961.]

I had to make sure the disturbing passage in question was actually printed in my bible . . . . It was.

I just dropped it in the recycling bin.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:04 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
True this is what the Bible teaches us. There is verse in Psalms, can't remember where, but it says we will not remember our loved ones in hell. Which makes since, how could we be joyful if we know what's happening to them.
I got some bad news for you. According to the Bible, the damned will suffer "in the presence of the Lamb". And.......Jesus told his disciples, "you will be where I am." So if Jesus will be witnessing the damned burn, and you will be with Jesus.....well, do the math.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
If we commit sin we go to heaven, if no than to hell. It is very easy, without any separation.
But, everyone sins, nearly every day. ......................

I'm trying to find a verse that I'm pretty sure is in the Bible that states that if one man sins, all men sins, if one man is saved, all men are saved. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I got some bad news for you. According to the Bible, the damned will suffer "in the presence of the Lamb". And.......Jesus told his disciples, "you will be where I am." So if Jesus will be witnessing the damned burn, and you will be with Jesus.....well, do the math.
Yes the math.. to the cause and effect...
And that is why we have fire season in BC Canada, CaLiforina USA, Texas, And In Austrailia...and now other parts of the world....hmmmm

Wherever the fire is, there to are the Deciples, and Jesus...watching it all burn!....and the odd thing is, they have a hard time putting them fires out these days...even with chemical fire retardant addititives in the water.......which of course pollutes the earth even more...which causes even more woe!...and it continues!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:37 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,007 times
I don't know about the Bible...but I do know that based on my beliefs, just because parents died and children were left alone in this world does not mean they will not see each other again. One day they will see or interact with one another, but they do will not know of the previous parent/child relationship. Or something like that anyways

Old 02-25-2010, 12:52 PM

190 posts, read 242,339 times
God gives everyone a choice to chose Him..he says to us all chose this day who you will serve...blessing or curses..God or Evil..he gave us a mind to know..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality