Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:40 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times

Advertisements

Is this the typical home school science lessons you want to teach?
Homeschool Resources in Creation Science
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 12:54 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Wow. Such a blatant lie. Were you home-schooled?
We allow many woman to slaughter their own children in the name of "freedom" of choice, yet when it comes to teaching those children you will only allow them to know what you will allow them and not even their own parrents? I am not lying. There is no basis for the hypothesis of evolution. Were you there in the past to see what really happened? No, neither was any scientist today or those scientist living 250 years ago who wrote the drivel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
OK. But when those children choose to live in OUR society, we all have an interest in how they were raised. And being raised in ignorance does not contribute to our society.
So, what you are going to do, deport them even if they are American but not taught what you believe? or are you saying that according to survival of the fittest, they are not fit to live? Are you saying that you are going to allow the killing of innocent people because they are ignorant of your belief system (the hypothesis of evolution)?

Come on get real! If you start destroying ignorant people how are you going to justify your own life?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:13 PM

310 posts, read 589,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
W
So, what you are going to do, deport them even if they are American but not taught what you believe? or are you saying that according to survival of the fittest, they are not fit to live? Are you saying that you are going to allow the killing of innocent people because they are ignorant of your belief system (the hypothesis of evolution)?

Come on get real! If you start destroying ignorant people how are you going to justify your own life?
Wow dude that was ignorant, harsh, and undeserved! Nowhere did he say to kill anyone! And FYI, yes the theory of evolution has been proven repeatedly. It's your own fault that you ignore the facts and evidence. It's like closing your eyes before you drop something so that you can claim fairies magically teleported it to the ground instead of acknowledging the existence of gravity.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:16 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
We allow many woman to slaughter their own children in the name of "freedom" of choice, yet when it comes to teaching those children you will only allow them to know what you will allow them and not even their own parrents?
Children should be educated in facts and reality, not wishful thinking and outdated superstitions. Our nation desperately needs well educated citizens, not mindless Jesus drones with minds stuck in the dark ages.

Quote:
I am not lying. There is no basis for the hypothesis of evolution.
You can repeat this lie as many times as you wish, but it won't change reality. Evolution is a fact supported by ALL the available evidence.

Quote:
Were you there in the past to see what really happened? No, neither was any scientist today or those scientist living 250 years ago who wrote the drivel.
Funny you don't hold the 4000 year old plagiarized Biblical fairytales to the same standard...

Old 03-08-2010, 01:31 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,790,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
All those homeschoolers claiming that their kids are so much better educated than other children are just lying to themselves and their kids.

Http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100306/...hool_evolution
Even if the matereial in the homeschool materials is wrong, it is not "blatant lies" or even "lies".

Old 03-08-2010, 01:45 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
That depends on whether one thinks a 'lie' must be an intentional attempt to spread disinformation, or whether its simply being untrue makes it a lie. I'm totally against homeschooling, by the way.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:45 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Even if the matereial in the homeschool materials is wrong, it is not "blatant lies" or even "lies".
Did you check out the link I provided? Any child taught this drivel is either being lied to or the curriculum is incredibly ignorant, and I refuse to believe anyone can be THAT ignorant.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:31 PM

478 posts, read 773,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerDan View Post
Maybe they'll end up with different beliefs than their parents. And that might not always be such a bad thing.
I agree. That would actually be the BEST thing, in my opinion, because to outwardly believe differently from one's parents means that the child has been thought to think, be independent and to make choices based on information and life situations. Though it seems like many parents are quite terrified of having their children think and believe differently than they which, sadly, does happen to be one of the reasons they like to home school their children (and I say that because, in my experience, most home schooled children usually believe damn near EXACTLY as their parents, and their parents sure seem proud, so obviously the parents believe their efforts were a success). If home schooling happened as you described it I'd be all for it. But it doesn't. Not the majority of the time, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
No, the point of homeschooling your children, at least if you are a Bible believing fundamentalist, is to to shield you child from the truth and reality that would shatter the hold your outdated belief system has on them and allow them to think for themselves.
Yep. And that type of thinking, I'd imagine, the main problem I think most people have with home schooling.

Quote:
Wrong. Evolution has indeed been proven true and it is supported by ALL the evidence from the DNA in every living thing to the very rocks of the earth itself.

It's not perfect but is certainly better than religious indoctrination and brainwashing children with fairytales like creationism.
I do agree. But to be fair, I see no problem with including creationism along with evolution, if that's what someone believes. It's all about helping your child to be well rounded, which means teaching as much as possible in order that the children make up their own minds. Some times it's good to teach parables and stories in order to further prove science and that which is more tangible. Besides, most children love fairy tales and there's nothing wrong with that. That's why mythology and fables are still a regular part of school curriculum. It's just that they need a back-up, something that makes some sense to them when they stop believing. And if and when they do, and there is nothing else to make sense to them, that's when they become screwed up grown ups. We already have enough of those so let's break that chain, shall we?!?

Quote:
As long as they are teaching what your religion believes is correct, right?
That seems to be the idea. Seems that the fundamentalists are awfully worried that their child might have access to information that will prompt them to think and ask questions, and we can't have that, now can we?!? Apparently not seeing as home schooling is so very slanted and biased in its teachings. If it were not, we wouldn't be sitting here and having this conversation.

Now although I favor evolution to creation even I will admit that evolution is a THEORY, which is why they call it that. But I was lucky enough to have been taught both theories and was able to make up my own mind as to what I believed in since my parents always gave me the opportunity to learn and gather as much information as possible (and a great way to do that is to allow children to go to public schools and then have them go to sunday school or church on the weekends. Seems that's an outdated notion nowadays I guess). But if they want to homeschool, fine- but please, stop lying/omitting information to your children and shielding them from alternate and other sides of thinking!

If a person really wants their child to be intelligent and raised to understand as much as possible, they will teach BOTH the theory of creation AND evolution, among many other principles and theories. And that means doing so without throwing in their two cents (although that might be too much to ask for so let's just go one step at a time ). To do otherwise is very ignorant and a complete disservice to the well being and intellect of their child.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:58 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Post after post! Same stuff that's been argued many times in this forum.
I don't know why people continue to run in these circles. Americans are convinced that creationism is the only truth, so why bother?
If this was Europe it would make sense to discuss what is taught in schools. But this isn't Europe, this is America, the nation of believers. American pupils lag behind their counterparts in European nations. The only change that can be expected is that the gap will widen. And for all I care, let it all happen. America will reap the 'benefits' of christian 'education' in future generations.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:02 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Ha. As thought evolution has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. If it has, I haven't seen the evidence. I have known many well educated scientists who do not believe in evolution. Creationism and young earth creationism are not the same thing either. You should really know what you're talking about before stating such things.
The reality is; you don't understand the evidence.

Galileo was persecuted by the church for his theory that the earth revolved around the sun rather than the other way around. The reason the church did not accept Galileo's theory is because the ignorant could not understand Galileo's mathematical equations which supported this theory. This same ignorance applies to the church's rejection of the theory of evolution now. The church had to finally recant their charges of heresy against Galileo in 1965 when photos from satellites made his theory indisputable even for a simpleton.

The evidence that supports evolution is conclusive yet complex. Most people who reject the theory of evolution simply do not understand the science behind the evidence for this.

Hopefully, this video will help you with understanding the evidence of evolution.

YouTube - Facts Of Evolution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality