U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2018, 01:19 AM
 
12,463 posts, read 13,100,747 times
Reputation: 8895

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Jews believe that the 5 books that constitute Torah (as opposed to Tanach which Christians know as the Old Testament) were given by Moses on inspiration from God.
Nope again it is more than that. The Torah includes the whole body of Jewish law and teachings: Tanach, Mishnah, Talmud, Midrash, Zohar, commentary by scholars geonim, rishonim, acharonim, Shulchan Aruch (code of Jewish Law), and responsa.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-15-2018 at 01:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2018, 03:30 AM
 
Location: US
26,264 posts, read 13,930,302 times
Reputation: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thank you. And does Chasidicism teach reincarnation?
Yes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 03:32 AM
 
Location: US
26,264 posts, read 13,930,302 times
Reputation: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Thanks, MQ. The bold explains a lot. I will moderate my future interactions accordingly.
You have a PhD and didn't know this?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 03:52 AM
 
Location: US
26,264 posts, read 13,930,302 times
Reputation: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by VovaLee View Post
There is no devil in the Bible in the modern sense.
Literally the devil is a slanderer, and Satan is the opponent (Christ called the Apostle Peter as Satan).
HaSatan is employed only ten times in the Tanakh, two times the word is personified in the book of Iyov...Four times, throughout the entire Tanakh as a verb and four times as an adjective...



...First of all, in doing a quick search of the Hebrew and Christian bibles, we find a remarkable difference...


...Besides the shear pre-occupation with Satan, we find another very major, fundamental difference between the Jewish understanding of Satan and the Christian understanding of him...


'''If we take a look at Isaiah 45:7, we see that Hashem is the creator of everything, as the text says, “bringing forth light and create darkness, I make peace and create evil, I am G-d who does all these things.” In the Jewish bible, everything is under the jurisdiction of G-d and under His power – all forces, even evil forces. Everything comes from G-d, He created everything, good and evil. That being the case, Satan is not a rival of G-d, he is a messenger of G-d and unable to do anything outside of G-d’s will...


...This evil inclination, or Satan, provides friction. Can you imagine a world with no friction, no resistance? Think about a car, how does it go? It is the friction between the tires and the road that allow the car to make progress, to go forward. Now, to the tires the friction is not necessarily a positive thing, the friction slowly destroys the tire, and yet without the friction, the tire is worthless...


...So, to reiterate, in Judaism Satan is an agent of G-d, who provides opportunities for us to grow, to respond to our passions and desires by producing things of value in this world and to become stronger spiritual people...

- http://www.jewishanswers.org/ask-the...-satan/?p=2566
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 07:44 AM
 
14 posts, read 3,240 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Nope again it is more than that. The Torah includes the whole body of Jewish law and teachings: Tanach, Mishnah, Talmud, Midrash, Zohar, commentary by scholars geonim, rishonim, acharonim, Shulchan Aruch (code of Jewish Law), and responsa.

Tanakh is an acronym of the first Hebrew letter of each of the Masoretic Text's three traditional subdivisions: Torah, Nevi'im ("Prophets") and Ketuvim ("Writings").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 08:06 AM
 
14 posts, read 3,240 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
...So, to reiterate, in Judaism Satan is an agent of G-d, who provides opportunities for us to grow, to respond to our passions and desires by producing things of value in this world and to become stronger spiritual people...
Old fellow Leibniz would have been delighted with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 07:33 PM
 
Location: US
26,264 posts, read 13,930,302 times
Reputation: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by VovaLee View Post
Tanakh is an acronym of the first Hebrew letter of each of the Masoretic Text's three traditional subdivisions: Torah, Nevi'im ("Prophets") and Ketuvim ("Writings").
Iím sure she knows that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,551 posts, read 7,004,990 times
Reputation: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Jews believe that the 5 books that constitute Torah (as opposed to Tanach which Christians know as the Old Testament) were given by Moses on inspiration from God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Nope again it is more than that. The Torah includes the whole body of Jewish law and teachings: Tanach, Mishnah, Talmud, Midrash, Zohar, commentary by scholars geonim, rishonim, acharonim, Shulchan Aruch (code of Jewish Law), and responsa.
You might have noticed that I specified the "narrow" (and most widely known) definition of "Torah" by contrasting with Tanach, which by your definition is included in the wider body of Jewish studies loosely known as Torah since the ultimate basis for ALL of it is those 5 books, but you can't resist the idea of claiming that no one but a Jew can talk about Judaism, can you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 06:53 AM
 
12,463 posts, read 13,100,747 times
Reputation: 8895
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You might have noticed that I specified the "narrow" (and most widely known) definition of "Torah" by contrasting with Tanach, which by your definition is included in the wider body of Jewish studies loosely known as Torah since the ultimate basis for ALL of it is those 5 books, but you can't resist the idea of claiming that no one but a Jew can talk about Judaism, can you?
And I specified the giving of the Torah to the Jewish people 3,331 years ago.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-16-2018 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,551 posts, read 7,004,990 times
Reputation: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
And I specified the giving of the Torah to the Jewish people 3,331 years ago.
which had nothing whatsoever to do with the question I was answering, but then that's typical of your posting.


The point being that if you are going to begin your comments on a post with "Nope," you should know what you are talking about, which you so rarely do. Comments without context are just babble.

Last edited by nateswift; 04-16-2018 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top