Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:33 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,989 times

Advertisements

NV schools are not great but I can say that my DS was educated at NV schools including UNR and is now in a top tier Graduate School program in Texas - they are not horrible but a lot depends on what the student and parents put into it also. We did pull our DD (10 years behind her brother) out of the local elementary school her brother attended and put her into a high achieving Charter school in town. Best decision we ever made for her.
I personally do not believe home schooling is the only answer and for some families it is not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 02:22 PM

649 posts, read 1,769,134 times
Thanks for all your input everyone. Especially about the library in Gardnerville, city data does not identify it having a library. So it Gardnerville then.... the wind is a concern though....I suppose one could plant lots of trees around the house to block some of the wind....but then it'd block the great view of the mountains and big sky. The vastness of the desert and the big sky are the two reasons I love the high desert. The wind can get on my nerves however...but there's always something, no place is perfect.

Carson City has water restrictions I see; does anyone know if Garnerville has similar water restrictions? There's nothing on this on the city's webpage.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:41 AM

38 posts, read 161,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
"by Nevada standards" would be the key words here. We homeschooled because Nevada is always in the bottom 5% nationwide for anything educational.
The schools here only worry about the "No Child Left Behind" law. So they only teach what's on the test that's all! And if you have a special needs child they just keep passing them along and they end up learning nothing. When I pulled my son out he was in the 6th grade. But because he has severe dyslexia his math, reading and comprehension levels were about 1st grade. I tried desperately to get him some help through Douglas Co schools but they said that "because of budget concerns" they refused to help him and referred me to one of those overpriced learning centers.(Sullivan at a cost of $175hr) And promptly dismissed me and my wife from the room. So the schools here are atrocious.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:59 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC33 View Post
The schools here only worry about the "No Child Left Behind" law. So they only teach what's on the test that's all! And if you have a special needs child they just keep passing them along and they end up learning nothing. When I pulled my son out he was in the 6th grade. But because he has severe dyslexia his math, reading and comprehension levels were about 1st grade. I tried desperately to get him some help through Douglas Co schools but they said that "because of budget concerns" they refused to help him and referred me to one of those overpriced learning centers.(Sullivan at a cost of $175hr) And promptly dismissed me and my wife from the room. So the schools here are atrocious.
I hardly think that your example is a reason to completely dish on the the NV schools as a whole.
NCLB is a nationwide problem, teaching to the test is also a repercussion of that same nation wide problem.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:29 PM

281 posts, read 643,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
In my mind when I think of the two, here is what I "see"

Dayton:
Trailer park that is a brothel surrounded by chain link.
Trailer park that is a subdivision.
Lots and lots of warehouses/commercial buildings
Hwy 50, home to more head on fatalities than I care to think about.

Gardnerville:
Green lush pastures
Job's peak and amazing mountain views
Housing on multiple income levels, much of it upper scale.
Small town vibe with shopping, a few cafe's and community resources ie pool, library etc.
Good schools by NV standards

^ Absolutely my thoughts!!! Gardnerville wins hands down! It's depressing driving through Dayton, whereas driving through Gardnerville area is beautiful. My husband and I used to make a little trip out of driving down to the Gardnerville area either for a Sunday drive, or a special dinner at Fiona's (which moved and is ruined now...but oh well)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area