Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:39 PM

154 posts, read 992,134 times

Advertisements

Olecapt:

Yes, Reno is a bit better in terms of crime, but don't take my word for it. Check out the following links:
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Part of the reason why there is very slightly less crime in Henderson is because, although the population is slightly greater than Reno, it really isn't a city in the traditional sense of the word. Sure it has tons of homes, businesses and retail, but there is nothing in the way of highrise development and no downtown to speak of, which can sometimes attract criminal elements. In other words, it's basically a large suburb of Vegas.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 07:57 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
Olecapt:

Yes, Reno is a bit better in terms of crime, but don't take my word for it. Check out the following links:

Part of the reason why there is very slightly less crime in Henderson is because, although the population is slightly greater than Reno, it really isn't a city in the traditional sense of the word. Sure it has tons of homes, businesses and retail, but there is nothing in the way of highrise development and no downtown to speak of, which can sometimes attract criminal elements. In other words, it's basically a large suburb of Vegas.
Boy when you guys spew garbage you go all out.

Slightly less crime? You are kidding right...

You would also find that Reno has almost the same crime rates as Las Vegas metro... But if you add Henderson and NLV it is actually a good bit less.

And this is a little town going against a big city.

You should be ashamed to portray such a den of iniquity as low crime.

By the way I hold that all of Nevada outside of Clark County is a minor suburb of Las Vegas....

Which in turn is a significant suburb of Los Angeles.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:02 AM..

Old 06-27-2007, 08:07 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,688,069 times
Henderson does have a downtown, with a significant crime and redneck element...

Old 06-28-2007, 06:48 AM

Oh yes, Henderson has SO much less crime. It's like night and day.

Nevermind, I just saw that you're a LV Real Estate Agent. No wonder you're so hellbent on portraying your city in a positive light. And no, the rest of Nevada is not a suburb of Clark County, but it's nice to see that hot weather down South has warped your mind.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:59 AM..

Old 06-28-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
Henderson does have a downtown, with a significant crime and redneck element...
Downtown Henderson is, from my memory, smaller than Downtown Sparks. A city less than half it's size. So, again, I say, Henderson doesn't really have an urban core/downtown. It's nice, but it's still just an overgrown suburb of Las Vegas.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
Oh yes, Henderson has SO much less crime. It's like night and day.

Nevermind, I just saw that you're a LV Real Estate Agent. No wonder you're so hellbent on portraying your city in a positive light. And no, the rest of Nevada is not a suburb of Clark County, but it's nice to see that hot weather down South has warped your mind.
Real Estate Agents scare you? Have you sought counseling? Maybe you can overcome your fears.

From the DofJ crime statistics for 2005...the latest available.

Place, Violent Crime Rate, Property Crime Rate

Henderson, 432, 2861
Reno, 741, 5347
LV Metro, 744, 4838
NLV, 826, 4617
Metro + Hender + NLV 674, 4543

Read it and weep. Don't mess with these sites that screw with the numbers...go to the source. You don't want to admit an RE Agent is smarter than you do you?

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:57 AM..

Old 07-06-2007, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 9,254 times
Cool Gay Men in Reno

How Gay tolerant is Reno.

I have a chance to move to Reno and I am wondering just how Gay tolerant and active is the Gay Community in Reno.

Nepalm

Old 07-06-2007, 05:25 PM

There is a small, but active scene. The clubs are small, but there are a few to chose from. I would say most people are fairly tolerant. It wasn't fun growing up in Reno as a gay youth, but as an adult I've seemed to acclimate well. There are always going to be idiots wherever you move. FWIW, our Gay Pride celebration is in August. We're now on our 12th year and it gets bigger and better each year.

I wish I could be more insightful, but since I've been in a committed relationship for the past 5+ years I don't really go to the clubs/bars much anymore.

Here are some websites that might help:

RenoOut_Your LGBT community voice

Welcome to A Rainbow Place! — A Rainbow Place (broken link)

Gay-Reno.com -- Resources for the LGBT Communities of Reno, Sparks, Carson City, Virginia City and Northern Nevada

Reno Gay Pride2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area