Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:33 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,207,978 times

Advertisements

So she is willing to totally mess up her finances over this? I'm guessing that will do far more harm to her kids than the ghost will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 PM

109 posts, read 555,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So she is willing to totally mess up her finances over this? I'm guessing that will do far more harm to her kids than the ghost will.
I honestly can't say since I don't completely understand her. But from what I know, it's not a safe neighborhood and she loathed the place for a while. I think the suicide story was just the last straw. She didn't tell her children, they are too small to understand anyway, but it looks like she couldn't overcome her dread and pretend to be a happy mama anymore at this place at night. It also sounded silly to me, but I think she is a lot happier now that she isn't living there and can sleep with the lights off. So in turn, she can be a better caregiver. I know, she obviously has psychological problems, but I love her and want to support her. I just don't know how. Why would somebody be so disturbed by things that happened two years ago? She had a funny incident once, she told me, that at night a gate opened and when she looked out, nobody was in the yard. I just don't know. I think someone who is that sensitive might be better off in a new place, just for the sake of fragile mental health. Did I mention she was in therapy once, but it was of little use? Anxiety management, I think.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:06 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrworld View Post
I honestly can't say since I don't completely understand her. But from what I know, it's not a safe neighborhood and she loathed the place for a while. I think the suicide story was just the last straw. She didn't tell her children, they are too small to understand anyway, but it looks like she couldn't overcome her dread and pretend to be a happy mama anymore at this place at night. It also sounded silly to me, but I think she is a lot happier now that she isn't living there and can sleep with the lights off. So in turn, she can be a better caregiver. I know, she obviously has psychological problems, but I love her and want to support her. I just don't know how. Why would somebody be so disturbed by things that happened two years ago? She had a funny incident once, she told me, that at night a gate opened and when she looked out, nobody was in the yard. I just don't know. I think someone who is that sensitive might be better off in a new place, just for the sake of fragile mental health. Did I mention she was in therapy once, but it was of little use? Anxiety management, I think.

I could not personally buy a home where someone had committed suicide.

Died of old age or cancer, maybe. But suicide leaves negative energy in a place, and I just would not want to be subjected to it. I would most definitely be creeped out too like your friend, and I am hardly a whiny baby or "sensitive".

The realtor was likely not allowed by law to share this info with your friend. Many things (like AID's) cannot be disclosed.

This is why it is wise to get out and walk any neighborhood you are considering buying in. TALK TO THE NEIGHBORS BEFORE YOU MAKE AN OFFER.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:13 PM

672 posts, read 2,117,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrworld View Post
My friend bought a house two years ago really cheap. It is beautiful and quite new. She just found out someone committed suicide by hanging himself in there from the old neighbor. It happened just three or four years ago. She now wants to walk out of the mortgage. She is very sensitive, I would say even more on a hysterical side and has two small children, she wants out badly but can't sell it because it's upside down on mortgage. I was in there and it looks and feels like a normal house with no ghost activity.
She actually went as far as moved her family out and is renting at this moment. She even thought of suing the real estate agent, but he changed jobs.
I don't think it would bother me this much. If it was rental, I would probably move at the end of the lease, but if it was your house, would you leave? Do you think she is acting crazy?

I say, the neighbor should have kept to herself. She even showed her pictures of the deceased in the newspaper!
Has she heard of doing a smudge ceremony to clear out negative energy?

Old 07-13-2011, 04:17 PM

109 posts, read 555,412 times
You know I thought about how this house was nice, comfy and pretty, but it did feel darkish, low ceiling, too much tree shade, maybe some toxic drywall. The man who killed himself was suffering from cancer, and I think he might have felt mighty low in a darkish place. She made it cheery, painted brightly, beautiful landscaping, pool, wood floors, but the house feels not very light, you know what I mean? I can almost imagine that this place can drive a sick lonely man to a suicide - low ceilings, no sunshine, possibly toxic materials. They weren't sick in there, but she did complain about the house feeling suffocating to her at times long before she found about the suicide. Do you think maybe the environment does play a part in worsening someone very sensitive's mental health? I personally don't think so, but I guess some people do.

Oh, and the house definitely has some mold issues. Or had. She just repaired a leaking shower and fridge six months ago. Been there for years. They had a lot of toxic mold in the place. I know it's far fetched, but what if the black mold causes some mood changes, it's possible?

I am getting way too carried away!

Old 07-13-2011, 04:18 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,171,789 times
When I bought my first house I had a suspicion someone had died in the home because it was an estate sale. I just had a feeling. My realtor said she didnt know but I could tell by her attitude she did. I ended up buying the house and after moving in the neighbor told me the previous owner did in fact die in the house. The woman was elderly and died of cancer. The whole neighborhood loved her. It bothered me a lot because I got myself worked up over it. I made that bedroom a tv room because it spooked me. The previous owner was an amazing gardner. I could plant any kind of flower and it would grow. After awhile I just started to think if her spirit was there she was a happy spirit helping me in the garden. That house had such a good vibe once I embraced it. Sounds like the OP's friend was not happy with her purchase and is using the death as a last straw.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:32 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,756,548 times
The takeaway for your friend should be that toxic mold can cause cancer, and that finding yourself in dire financial straits (medical bills are still the leading cause of bankrupty in this country) can lead someone people to commit suicide. If you truly love your friend you'd help her learn from her previous mistakes, and try to stop her from making an even bigger one. Enabling her very poor judgement to ruin her family's financial future is not helping her.

Someone who committed suicide because they were already dying doesn't seem as grisly as some cases to me. She should think of it as a healing for the poor man, he obviously did.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:42 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,131,217 times
A woman who lets emotions rule her life like that shouldn't own a home. Surprised she has her head on strait enough to pay the bills each month. Hopefully she defaults and finds an apartment where nobody died

Old 07-13-2011, 04:49 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,520,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMLOR View Post
Strange. I thought in Florida they are required to disclose such things. In fact, the house I lived in, when we tried to sell it I mentioned someone's death to the real estate agent, and he said he will have to disclose to a buyer. But ONLY if the buyer asks
To be honest, sometimes the agents just don't know. I know there is one real estate instructer here in my town who teaches that disclosure is mandatory in Idaho, which is absolutely false. We have reported it several times to the real estate commission, to have him correct the class. They agree he is teaching it wrong, but haven't made him change it. He's been teaching it wrong for years.

So if you asked agents in my town whether it was a required disclosure, I bet 90% of them would say that it is, even though it very definitely is NOT.

I just looked up for Florida, and found 689.25 says:

Quote:
689.25 Failure to disclose homicide, suicide, deaths, or diagnosis of HIV or AIDS infection in an occupant of real property.—
(1)(a) The fact that an occupant of real property is infected or has been infected with human immunodeficiency virus or diagnosed with acquired immune deficiency syndrome is not a material fact that must be disclosed in a real estate transaction.
(b) The fact that a property was, or was at any time suspected to have been, the site of a homicide, suicide, or death is not a material fact that must be disclosed in a real estate transaction.

(2) A cause of action shall not arise against an owner of real property, his or her agent, an agent of a transferee of real property, or a person licensed under chapter 475 for the failure to disclose to the transferee that the property was or was suspected to have been the site of a homicide, suicide, or death or that an occupant of that property was infected with human immunodeficiency virus or diagnosed with acquired immune deficiency syndrome.
I think 1b and 2 pretty much answer this question. If the home was in Florida, it didn't have to be disclosed, and the friend has no grounds to sue the agent or the owner.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:56 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,531,021 times
I found this. Seems it differs by state so your friend may want to look into your specific state law regarding death and selling:

Material Facts
Material Facts are commonly referred to as anything that would affect the buyer's decision to purchase or the price and terms the buyer offers. In other words, if you have knowledge about a defect, it should be disclosed. In California, sellers are to notify buyers if a death has occurred on the property within the last 3 years. Some buyers are creeped out by knowledge that a seller died in the house.

A seller once asked me if she should tell the buyer that her husband died in their bedroom five years ago. Although the law doesn't require it, because the death occurred outside of the three-year window and because the buyer did not ask about it, I suggested she disclose this to the buyers, and she did. Moreover, if she had chosen to withhold this information from the buyer, I would have had to disclose it because now I had knowledge of a material fact.Causes of Death
Many home buyers are fine with news of a death occurring in the house as long as it wasn't violent or gruesome. There are also buyers who believe homes are haunted by former occupants who died in the house. If you have specific details, you might want to consider sharing it with the buyer unless it pertains to AIDS. Check with your local laws and a real estate lawyer for advice about deaths surrounding AIDS because in some states, AIDS falls into a protected class and could be subject to discrimination claims as well. There are times you're darned if you do and darned if you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting