Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 06:35 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
First, section 8 is welfare. Someone in need gets reduced rent. The remaining portion of the rent comes from the government. I am not saying there is something wrong with Section 8, as I understand some people have a need for housing affordbility. But having private bedrooms for each person in the household is not a need, it is a luxury. And when you are being supported (even partially) by the taxpayers, you should not be granted luxuries. When you can fully support yourself, you can have all of the bedrooms you want.
I think that's a little bit harsh. Stuff happens and a person who has worked all their life becomes disabled and needs assistance. The same for a senior.

I am in the former position, and you should see how the ll here treats his Section 8 tenants - like scum, that's what. I don't ask for much - I'm grateful for a small one bedroom apartment - many folks in my area who need help can't get it, so I feel fortunate in that regard.

But ll bought this building with a nice yard, well kept up and surrounded by the homes of private property owners who took pride in the upkeep of their places. In turn, ll uses this rental as a cash cow. He refuses to put so much as one drop of water on the lawn, he won't replace the screens, he won't re-do the electrical outlets. The drywall behind the tiles in my bathroom has completely rotted out, making the shower unsafe to use. ll says just don't grab for the hand bar if I happen to slip. I'm being evicted for growing a few petunias outside my house and the ll is gaming all the tenants for extra money on the water bill. LL has turned this place into a slum and he doesn't give a damn what his actions (or inactions) do to the property values of neighboring, hard working tax payers. Plus, he rips off taxpayers and tenants alike with his extortion demands for utility money since the utilities are already included in the rent paid by the housing authority to the ll. The man is a con and he gets away with it all since we tenants are "just" section 8 and deserve nothing.

Someone on section 8 should be afforded the same dignity as anyone else. This "you should not be granted any luxuries" sounds exactly like something ll would say. I don't want or need "luxuries," but having screens to keep the flies out in the summer, a few flowers if I pay for the water myself and a safe place to take a shower (I'm 62 btw) should be givens. Don't assume everyone on section 8 is a parasite the way my ll does. Such attitudes only make people like ll feel free to treat human beings like dirt.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:49 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I wanna know why I had to share a room with my sister until we went to college and we were not section 8. For some reason my brothers got private rooms but we girls always had to share!

When I went to college I had to share a room with 3 other girls and had bunkbeds. It was only when I graduated and got a job and my own apartment that I finally had my own room!

Whaaaaaa.
I had my own room all through my childhood, and now I'm sharing a room with my husband of almost 15 years. He doesn't pick his clothes up off the foor. Maybe I should move him into the extra bedroom. Then I could have my own room again

Old 08-17-2013, 07:39 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Don't assume everyone on section 8 is a parasite the way my ll does. Such attitudes only make people like ll feel free to treat human beings like dirt.
I have never assumed those on Section 8 are parasites nor should any of them be treated like dirt. But flowers in the yard aren't something you are entitled to if you are accepting tax payer money. While it is a nicety, MANY people who do not accept tax payer money live with out private bedrooms, manicured lawns, screens, and flowers. Please understand, they benefit is there to make you live and survive; taxpayers aren't paying so you can enjoy your ambiance.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:27 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I have never assumed those on Section 8 are parasites nor should any of them be treated like dirt. But flowers in the yard aren't something you are entitled to if you are accepting tax payer money. While it is a nicety, MANY people who do not accept tax payer money live with out private bedrooms, manicured lawns, screens, and flowers. Please understand, they benefit is there to make you live and survive; taxpayers aren't paying so you can enjoy your ambiance.
Well, my my. Are you SURE you are not my slumlord? There's a huge, empty yard in front of my place. I bought petunias with my OWN money. I offered to pay extra on the water way before this all got so crazy. Mr. Slumlord (are you SURE you're not him?) never got back to me for a full year until just a couple of weeks ago when he started sending me letters that sounded like he was strung out on crack and made no sense.

I bought xeriscape plants to plant on slumlord's property with my OWN money again. I went up into the mountains with MY own car, using MY own gas and dug up native plants that would do well with little water with MY OWN HARD EFFORT. Every single neighbor I have around here has complimented me on how nice I made slumlord's place with MY time, MY money, and MY effort.

You made my point for me exactly - you DO assume section 8 people are parasites, and I'll thank you to keep your assumptions and your insults to yourself in my regard. Thank you.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:01 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
the only section 8ers I think are parasites, are the ones that breed like rabbits, can't find their baby daddies, refuse to work, have a huge sense of entitlement; It's the not the seniors who have worked their butts off for many years and are forced out of the work force. It's not the disabled who can't work, or who can't work fulltime. There's a difference between 'needing' section 8 and 'thinking you need' section 8.

Anyone who gets govt money needs to be on mandatory birth control...stop letting these people pop out kids they can't afford to clothe, house and feed...I have my own children to support, I can't support everyone else's.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:11 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
the only section 8ers I think are parasites, are the ones that breed like rabbits, can't find their baby daddies, refuse to work, have a huge sense of entitlement; It's the not the seniors who have worked their butts off for many years and are forced out of the work force. It's not the disabled who can't work, or who can't work fulltime. There's a difference between 'needing' section 8 and 'thinking you need' section 8.

Anyone who gets govt money needs to be on mandatory birth control...stop letting these people pop out kids they can't afford to clothe, house and feed...I have my own children to support, I can't support everyone else's.
Come on, how much money do you really give up, you personally to support other children? What $1 of the 30% income tax? Come on guys lets get a grip ok. Its not avg lazy joe who is getting 200mth on foodstamps that is killing use ok. This omg there isnt enough let panic is garbage. There is plenty, we just need to choose to spend it wiser.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:24 AM

What i find is sad is how we never have enough to provide the best education in the world so we have a strong educatted workforce or we don't have enough to fund services that are needed to take care of our vets or those who really need it. And how we focus on the dude who buys lotto while on fs or etc. But we never talk about how we spend more in a week for a war for others who haven't even payed taxes or etc, or we have to fix others countrys irresponsible behaviors.

Imagine what we spend in one week for this war if we put into schools or incentives for our country to get back to making stuff that made us the strongest economicly in the world. Then we wouldn't have to complian about joe on the doe.

Further, we all pay for others, why should i be responsible for paying for public education for your kids when i have none, or police to protect your property etc, when i have none etc etc. See how that old argument never works?

Old 08-18-2013, 06:42 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
^^ what you rambling about? Are you not getting enough free money?

Old 08-18-2013, 07:08 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

I agree with Kim.

I own rental properties that are very nicely maintained in good areas.
I have heard far too many landlord horror stories concerning the destruction and overall neglect by Section-8 tenants to never EVER take part in that program.

I have many many fellow landlords that had taken part in Section-8 but due to the destructive nature of many of the renters they no longer view it as a viable income stream.

With that being said there are many many slumlords that are just in the program to milk as much money as possible from the system while neglecting their properties.

My properties are in good neighborhoods with good neighbors that maintain their homes to very high levels, if I would neglect my properties or have tenants that are destructive the amount of retaliation from the neighborhood would be intense to say the least.

The tenants I have are either working professionals needing long term but temporary housing or retired people looking for a nice, quiet low stress lifestyle in a solid middle class neighborhood.

The recession was not the only reason as to why their are massive waiting lists for Secion-8, it's also because too many good landlords have been burned one too many times to ever go back into the program.

I've never been in the program thank God, I saw far too much negative to ever take part in it.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:42 AM

@julian17033 No offense ok, but who are u trying to kid? Poor section 8 landlords? Or poor corporate C.E.Os?

Last i checked, it was a bonus to be a landlord in the Sec 8 program? Not only does the government give you money to do repairs and upkeep, but you always will get your fairmarket value for your unit. Further now get this, not only do they get money to upkeep and do repairs, and get full price on rents, but they also get major tax breaks for being a Sec 8 unit provider. So basicly u make more then a normal owner of a fairmarket apt all on the taxpayer!

See this is the kind of that really gets me, the rich or well to do will get everyone focused on joe who is on the doe who is buying lottery while on welfare(what a crime) so no one will notice well to do citizen or corporate C.E.Os on the doe or talking tax money themselves. Bailing out banks so there C.E.Os can give themselves million dollar bonuses.

The last i checked being on the doe is being on the doe, no matter what class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting