Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:11 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times

Advertisements

If you are disabled, and the cats provide companionship, I would find a disability advocate.

Also, go to the library or research on line for your local land/tenant laws and regulations. Are there any local colleges with students who can help you find the law and draft a letter. Is the LL trying to intimidate you verbally? I suspect he may have to start with a written notice about the cats before he starts an eviction. Maybe others see your cats and want to bring in more pets so he decided to change the rules.

Generally, if the cats are grandfathered in, he or she has another issue which needs to be addressed.

Although I would love to help you so much more, I'm not familiar with your area. Please keep us updated.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:15 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchywoman View Post
No. Not month to month lease. I have a current lease signed in August 2011. And the lease still states I can have two cats. My lease has been renewed every year since I have lived in this place.
Then he can't just evict you for this. A lease is a contract. You can't just make changes to it without the other party agreeing. That doesn't mean the LL won't try and make something up to get you evicted though.

Many places offer free legal aid. You should look in to this.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM

96 posts, read 126,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
If you are disabled, and the cats provide companionship, I would find a disability advocate.

Also, go to the library or research on line for your local land/tenant laws and regulations. Are there any local colleges with students who can help you find the law and draft a letter. Is the LL trying to intimidate you verbally? I suspect he may have to start with a written notice about the cats before he starts an eviction. Maybe others see your cats and want to bring in more pets so he decided to change the rules.

Generally, if the cats are grandfathered in, he or she has another issue which needs to be addressed.

Although I would love to help you so much more, I'm not familiar with your area. Please keep us updated.
My cats are the ONLY reason I even bother to get out bed in the morning. With my disabilities, I really don't feel any reason to live except to take care of my cats.

I know that sounds odd to most of you, but it's true. And this call came out of the blue and has my head reeling.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:21 PM

286 posts, read 689,138 times
What type of lease is this? Are you in a private residential apartment or is your apartment managed by a company?

To my knowledge, if you have a lease still in effect there should no way he can evict you unless you are in violation for something. If that's the case, you have received some type of notice prior this.

Please read you lease carefully for any loopholes.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Then he can't just evict you for this. A lease is a contract. You can't just make changes to it without the other party agreeing. That doesn't mean the LL won't try and make something up to get you evicted though.

Many places offer free legal aid. You should look in to this.
Thank you. I will keep trying to find free legal aid. But in my town the only FREE legal aid is for seniors. Even though I am disabled, I am not 65 years old so the only FREE legal aid told me they would not help me.

But again, thanks.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:26 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Your lease isn't up until August of 2011...unless you violated something in the lease, he can't force you to move until that lease is up.

The earliest he can give you notice about changes to the lease is June or July..usually 30-60 days before the lease is up you have to give your landlord notice of your intentions...if your going to stay, you need to renew the lease ( if he agrees to renew). If not, you need to give them your notice to vacate.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
The OP is not being honest with us about the events, hence the need to throw the disabilty card into the mix.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeLocks View Post
What type of lease is this? Are you in a private residential apartment or is your apartment managed by a company?

To my knowledge, if you have a lease still in effect there should no way he can evict you unless you are in violation for something. If that's the case, you have received some type of notice prior this.

Please read you lease carefully for any loopholes.
It is not a management company. It is a 6 apt deal. The landlord is solely responsible for all problems, collecting rent, drawing up leases.

Again, this is a building that only has 6 units. NOT a huge apartment complex. I really don't have a clue what prompted this man into this. I am disabled. I don't fight with neighbors since I can't leave my apartment without someone helping me.

I have not done anything (to my knowledge at least) to receive this kind of treatment. I don't even know my neighbor's names since I can't get out of my apartment without help.

I AM able to take care of my two cats, though. That's not an issue. I CAN clean their litter boxes and feed them. And a friend that does not live with me comes over every day to take the used kitty litter to the dumpster so my apartment never smells bad.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:34 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The OP is not being honest with us about the events, hence the need to throw the disabilty card into the mix.

and there are those who are implying that the OP should use this disability as a way to keep the cats.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:38 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
You again. You constantly do this. Why not just work with the info the OP gave us. If there's something else, it would be to her/his detriment not to reveal it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting