Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Curious View Post
I went on rent.com and noticed that pretty much every apartment in Montgomery County MD near my office allows dogs.
then find one that isn't. Pretty much a no-brainer.
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 10:08 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Pet friendly apartments have dogs. If you can't stand dogs, then rent in a building that does not allow pets. If you start calling the police about barking immeduiately after moving into a building that specifically allows dogs, you are going to have war with your neighbors, and that can get mighty uncomfortable. I'm suspecting you won't enjoy having everyone around you completely ticked off at you.

I refuse to believe that there is not so much as a single rental in that entire area that is pet free. They can't all allow animals.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 AM

26 posts, read 72,875 times
What if I would have said I love dogs and had a nice QUIET ONE myself in the apartment, would I be allowed then to complain about the owners who did not train their dogs and allowed them to bark 24/7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Pet friendly apartments have dogs. If you can't stand dogs, then rent in a building that does not allow pets. If you start calling the police about barking immeduiately after moving into a building that specifically allows dogs, you are going to have war with your neighbors, and that can get mighty uncomfortable. I'm suspecting you won't enjoy having everyone around you completely ticked off at you.

I refuse to believe that there is not so much as a single rental in that entire area that is pet free. They can't all allow animals.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times
Quote:
What if I would have said I love dogs and had a nice QUIET ONE myself in the apartment, would I be allowed then to complain about the owners who did not train their dogs and allowed them to bark 24/7?

That information would have been helpful before. If you have a nuisance barker ( check your state laws) you may have a case. Providing you have the evidence to prove such a case.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Actually in your 1st post YOU said you could not get into a NON Pet Friendly apt cause of Bad Credit!! So I Dont Believe you own or like dogs!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
I see that the DC area and Maryland neighborhoods have not changed in the 20 years since I left the area.

Do what I did. Move to a less densely populated area; then buy a farm where your nearest neighbor is 3/4 mile away and the local coyotes hear a barking dog as a dinner bell.

Oops! I forgot about your credit situation so the farm is a bad suggestion. Well anyway, . . .just move.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
That information would have been helpful before. If you have a nuisance barker ( check your state laws) you may have a case. Providing you have the evidence to prove such a case.
I don't think it would have been helpful. He's asking a hypothetical question because now that he's in a pet-friendly complex he's ticked off that a dog is barking. I simply can't believe that it was impossible for him to find a unit in a complex or in a private rental which doesn't allow pets but he made that choice and is now looking to start making trouble.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:10 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
You might not be able to ever get away with not hearing barking dogs. You might move into a place that has no dogs, and then the next tenant will get a dog, and now you have a dog living next door.

You have to find a place that says NO dogs allowed. But then the building next door may allow dogs, and then you still have the problem next door which you cant control.

the best way to handle this is - get an apartment at the end of the street where there is no building next to your apartment. Or you may have to install a fan or some white noise unit that covers up some of the noise.

If the barking does break the law as far as too loud, or late at night after 10:00 pm then that dog is breaking the noise laws. So you might have to resort to talking to the dog owner, or calling the police about excessive noise at night during sleeping hours.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:42 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Polite dog owners train their dogs to be quiet. However, if you choose to move to a pet friendly apartment building, and the landlord does not insist upon quiet, then your only option is to either suck it up and get some ear plugs, or else start calling the police and filing lots of noise complaints.

If you file lots of noise complaints with the police against all of your neighbors who have dogs in their pets allowed apartments, you are going to make yourself extremely unpopular and it is difficult to live in an apartment building where all the other tenants see you as the enemy.

Your choice. A much better choice would have been to move to a pet free building in the first place. But, then, there might be other noise. Really, the best option, if you can't tolerate noise, is to stay away from apartment buildings.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:07 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
In the DC area pretty much all suburban apartment buildings are pet friendly, but are they human friendly as a result?

When my wife and I looked at apartments we told the rental agents that we did not want to live next door to a barking dog and asked specifically for the apartment that was NOT next to a dog. They all looked at me like I had two heads. They were so proud that their apartment complex is pet friendly they forgot about the rights of human beings not to be woken up by barking dogs.

Finally after much trouble we finally found an apartment after being turned down at two complexes due to credit troubles from 5 years (!!) ago. So I guess because of my bad history with credit beggers are not choosers.

I asked specifically to be put in an apartment that is not next to a dog. First they ignored my request and acted like they did not hear me. Then when I pushed it they acted like I was crazy and an psycho animal hater. Finally after talking to the manger we were told that the apartment next to us does not have a dog. We needed a place to live so we signed on the dotted line.

Now that we moved in we hear this from apartments below, above and next to us: BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK !!! I have complained but they reminded us this is a pet friendly apartment, and they can't really do anything about it. They said, "dogs bark, that is how they communicate!"

What can we do? BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK!
So you moved into an apartment complex that is pet friendly and are miffed there are dogs?

You moved into a pet friendly complex and asked for an apartment that is not next to a dog?

You have lots of specific demands but seem to be less than a stellar tenant yourself.

What can you do? Clean up your credit and move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting