Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 06:08 AM

420 posts, read 470,200 times

Advertisements

I left town for 3 days without giving the landlord or anyone a notice that I will be away. A package that came was supposed to be held on by the rental office. I'm assuming the landlord and or maintenance guy had knocked at my door but I wasn't home for 3 days (maybe they were worried that I haven't been answering my door which I always do?). Upon coming back from out of town, my package was inside my apartment, right by my door (inside). It was strange. They could have called me first to let me know I have a package and I would have told them "OK, thanks but I'm out of town right now". They could have just left it in their office til I came back and asked for it or at least call me to check if I was OK and to find out why I haven't answered their knocks for 3 days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 07:40 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Yes, a landlord can enter your apartment without notice under several different conditions, including a wellness check if a tenant who is normally there disappears without notice.

I suspect that they merely opened the door just wide enough to set the package inside and didn't do a thorough inspection.

There is no reason for them to take up space in the office for an indefinite time period. You didn't tell them how long you would be gone, so as far as they knew, you'd flown south for the winter and they didn't want your package cluttering up the office.

How about telling them "thank you" for taking care of your package instead of getting your panties in a twist about your constitutional rights.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:33 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,986 times
It may depend on where you are, but no. Not where I am in Florida. Unless there is an emergency having to do with the premises, no, I can not just go into someone's home.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:49 PM

13,929 posts, read 39,306,840 times
Who said they went in.... open door put package inside shut door. sheesh No biggie!

BTW my Lease says you gone 3 days No notice you Gone for Good!

Old 01-01-2017, 12:34 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Depends on the lease

Old 01-01-2017, 06:59 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Depends on the lease
Actually, it depends upon state law. If what's in the lease differs from the law, the law wins.

OP, unless you have evidence that the landlord actually pried into your stuff, I agree with the poster who said that you should let this go.

Especially if you didn't notify them you were expecting a package while you were gone, and ask whether they would please look out for it and store it for you. They were being nicer than they had to be.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:57 AM

784 posts, read 730,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
A package that came was supposed to be held on by the rental office.
Why do you assume that they are responsible for accepting and holding your packages???

Yes, they can enter. I just did the same thing.

I posted a notice for a smoke detector check for a couple of days out. I was checking all of my units. The tenant had a package outside the door. I brought it in and did my checks. They will not know I was there until they come home and see the note.

I also saw the cats were alone, but had plenty of food and water. I may have even filled the water if I noticed they were out.

The office should have just sent the package back, or put it the hallway until you returned. I would never have accepted the package. Then, when you returned, maybe it would have been there, maybe not. It would be up to you to track and get it back, or not.

My tenants also had a package delivery note on their door. The UPS folks usually attempt three times, then send it back. If you are gone, you have to get it reshipped. Sometimes I will take a picture and send it to the tenants. Then they can make arrangements for the package.

Next time, put your packages on hold at USPS, FedEx, and UPS.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:19 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Who said they went in.... open door put package inside shut door. sheesh No biggie!

BTW my Lease says you gone 3 days No notice you Gone for Good!
strange. I don't tell my landlord when I'm leaving town for anything short of a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
Why do you assume that they are responsible for accepting and holding your packages???
Because that's a service offered by many properties, especially larger complexes.

It really depends on state law. In NC the LL can enter for kicks and giggles with no notice.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:30 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
It may depend on where you are, but no. Not where I am in Florida. Unless there is an emergency having to do with the premises, no, I can not just go into someone's home.
No kidding. There'd better be smoke pouring out the windows or the sweet scent of decomposition before a landlord can enter my apartment, and even then, they'd better be accompanied by a cop or fireman.

If I'm taking a nap or shower or am otherwise inconvenienced and someone enters my apartment without me opening the door and saying, "come on in," they might get met first by my .38.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:01 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
strange. I don't tell my landlord when I'm leaving town for anything short of a week.
Strange indeed. Sounds like a crock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting