Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:03 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
In reading the various threads and dealing with land lords why do they believe that their units are some how ATM machines and the smallest amount of work or inconvenience they take it out on the tenant.
Your post is highly offensive. How about you buy several houses as rental investments, and then deal with tenants who pay rent late (yet your mortgages must be paid on time), refuse to pay late fees, refuse to sign for Certified Mail notifications, won't return your phone calls, rarely answer your emails, make promises to pay the rent then don't, make promises to pay the late fee then don't, damage your property and then get angry when you repair the damage and deduct the repair costs from their deposit. Or worse, damage your property more than their security deposit covers, then refuse to pay it knowing that it could cost you $1000 or more to take them to court, to collect maybe $800 additional damages? And then there's the tenants that have done most of these things and then refuse to move out at end of lease and you have to take them to court to evict them, costing you more money, preventing you from re-renting, but you still have to keep up your mortgage payments.

Oh I forgot about my tenant that simply moved out of state in the middle of the lease and left me with a couple thousand dollars in damage because she would leave her dog shut in a carpeted bedroom when she was at work, leaving the dog to defecate and urinate over the carpet.

I don't see how any landlord can have any respect for tenants after all of the above. That's why I'm leaving the business, because I'm tired of being treated like the tenant's ATM. Only they can keep taking money out after the balance goes to zero, it comes directly from MY wallet.

I'm done paying tenant lottery and waiting to find out my next tenant is scum.

I'm selling two of my SFRs this year, one next year, and the final SFR in 2019, and then I'm going to celebrate the day I'll never have any more nasty tenants to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 08:24 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property.
renting is where you rely on others to take the risk and burden of ownership so you have a place to live

Old 03-28-2017, 08:30 AM

And also gives you the flexibility to move without the hassle of selling your previous residence and buying a new residence. You pay more to rent a house than you would pay in mortgage, tax, insurance and maintenance costs, to gain this freedom.

If you don't like it then just buy your own house.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:36 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
renting is where you rely on others to take the risk and burden of ownership so you have a place to live
You're both correct, if you think about it. You pay a premium to enjoy temporary use, conversely you aren't exposed to the risks that come with ownership.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:51 AM

586 posts, read 554,861 times
I only recently discovered this forum while I was studying for my real estate exam, and I have to say the most entertaining questions always deal with the never ending drama of the tenant-landlord dynamic.

I have seen both sides of the equation—with property management companies who will screw a tenant so fast their head will spin (hello, AIMCO), to a friend who rented out five different properties to sad sacks and ended up losing all five because he bought into their BS.

I'm finding that any time someone on here has some "You won't believe this!"-type of story, it's their own fault. As a rule, I believe most tenants just want a decent place to live, and most landlords just want a decent tenant.

In order to have one, you have to be the other.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:54 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
In reading the various threads and dealing with land lords why do they believe that their units are some how ATM machines and the smallest amount of work or inconvenience they take it out on the tenant.

Is this because too few tenants drag landlords into court or document the behavior. There is normal ware and tear and holes to fill when people move out that's life.

Do land lords actually win these petty cases in court if they try keeping the deposits?

Seems landlords like to talk tough, maybe more tenants need to drag them into court to stand before a judge and they can see what their indignant behavior buys them.

The tenant did not let me in when it was convenient for me the land lord who is collecting money
the tenant left a small hole in the wall so I kept 500$ of the deposit

etc etc.

I would be curious what tenants (or landlords) experiences are in the actual court room.
Because most landlords (IN MY EXPERIENCE!!) just care about receiving rent while providing a barely habitable home for the cash cows they call tenants. I'm completely serious here. I consider myself a fairly good tenant. I've never brought in unauthorized guests, or pets. I keep up the property and repair the small things that don't require a professional, plus, I've paid my rent early, each and every time, for more than the ten years I've been a renter, and all I expect is to be treated fairly, but it never seems the gestures are returned or reciprocated. I can't get my landlord to fix leaks, which cause mold, I can't get my landlord to repair a gate that fell had the hinges literally fall out of the cinder block wall (3 times now!!), allowing stray dogs and various homeless people to wander into my backyard. I can't get my landlord to repair my sliding glass Arcadia door that cracked during an attempted break in a couple months ago (also, my sliding glass door never came with a lock and the landlord refused to remedy on move in).

There are also bad tenants out there too, which I'm sure could be traced to a bad landlord and vice versa. Good tenants turn into bad tenants because of neglectful landlords not fulfilling their side of the lease and then there's good landlords that go sour due to bad tenants as well.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
Are you saying hanging pictures isn't supposed to happen because of holes?
Yup. Most landlords think that tenants are third class citizens and that we shouldn't be living a normal life because, hey, we are tenants. I can't wait till January rolls around. My wife and I will be looking into buying our first house and be done with renting.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
Actually in many states the court system REQUIRES the landlord to use Professional contractors from repairs or they cannot be reimbursed for damage that would be easy to repair.

Put yourself in the LLs shoes for just a few minutes. You the LL have a full time job, 3 units and a family. You are doing repair work on a home which takes away from your family time and possibly Job time (and may not be reimbursed in court) or you hire a painter to patch and paint the walls (costs $). What do you think you are going to do? I'll put $5 on hire someone else, which supports the community BTW.
Please! It was THEIR choice to become a landlord. No one forced them into it. It was a business decision and thus deserves to be treated as such. I could care less about my poor landlord and his issues resulting from being a landlord just the same as he could care less about me and my issues.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 AM

My leases state that tenant is responsible for repairs if they put nail or screw holes in walls, and expressly suggests using "no damange" picture hangers available in home improvement stores.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:02 AM

586 posts, read 554,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Yup. Most landlords think that tenants are third class citizens and that we shouldn't be living a normal life because, hey, we are tenants. I can't wait till January rolls around. My wife and I will be looking into buying our first house and be done with renting.
I disagree with you here—I think it's situational and depends on the company, the staff or the owner. I lived in a horrible apartment complex that, as it turns out, regularly commits fraud against its tenants, misrepresents everything from the amenities to the square footage of the apartments, and charges illegal fees.

Right down the street? One of my favorite apartments ever. Big company, big complex. Had a great time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting