Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 01:32 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Wow, you would rent a house without an opener and then possibly install an opener without permission from the property owner? That sounds quite unethical. I hope that attitude doesn't carry over into Article 14 charges in regards to your vocation. Sheesh!

In case any renter reading Mike's post is considering acting the same way, that is an excellent way to get an eviction on your record. Don't do it.
Yes, I would do it. Maybe even with permission, as stated twice in the thread.
And, I would receive permission merely for asking. And I would stand behind the installation.

The whole thread is a bunch of slobbering and drooling about a dang garage door opener.
Pretty sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 02:18 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes, I would do it. Maybe even with permission, as stated twice in the thread.
And, I would receive permission merely for asking. And I would stand behind the installation.

The whole thread is a bunch of slobbering and drooling about a dang garage door opener.
Pretty sad.
I agree, just ask. The worst they can say is no.
I gave a lot of reasons why they might say no but Imo, the only real hard no would be if they don't have the correct door for it or the electrical capacity.
If I was a LL, I would like the highest quality tenant and the more amenities, the better. If the OP didn't need a yard, she'd be able to find a complex that offers automatic garages.
Seems like a lot of LL want to provide the basics and then wonder why they get basic tenants.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:25 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What's the deal with houses having garages but no garage door openers? I'm on the hunt for a rental and I can't believe how often I see this. Doesn't that cancel out the purpose of having a garage in the first place?

If I find a rental with a fence (), I'm going to ask the owner if they would mind if I had a garage door opener installed for a deduction off the rent for the cost of the unit/installation. I've seen quotes around $300 installed.

As an owner, would you have a problem with this?
My rental was a townhouse and did not have a garage door opener. It was basically used for storage, not a car.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:27 PM

723 posts, read 570,969 times
Charlygal,

Last week, you were miffed (and seemed genuinely surprised) that landlords don't habitually install fences, and now you're on a quest for a rental property with an electric garage door opener.

Are you for real? LOL

I think you need to buy your own house and equip it to your heart's content.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:41 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
........... If OP pays for it, the landlord could very easily not use it for the next tenant.
Quote:
...ask the owner if they would mind if I had a garage door opener installed for a deduction off the rent for the cost of the unit/installation......
OP doesn't want to pay for it. OP wants the landlord to pay for it, but after the landlord pays for it and doesn't get any additional rent, OP has kindly offered to leave the opener there when OP moves out.

OP might be able to find a landlord who will allow OP to install an opener at OP's own expense. I think the odds of a landlord being all that pleased to pay for one, even if OP intends to leave it at move-out , are pretty slim. If the landlord wanted to pay for a garage door opener, there would already be one on the garage door.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:00 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,198 times
It can't hurt to ask. Although I can also see why some might not want the tenant to make modifications to the property like that. If it breaks down at some point, it could leave them liable for an expensive repair. So that's one reason I can think of why they might not be receptive to it. I think it just depends on how flexible your landlord is willing to be.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:01 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Wait!?! From an owner's perspective, wouldn't it be seen as a physical improvement that will add value to the home for future tenants? I would use professional installers so the job is done correctly.
If there is really added value, how much more rent would you be willing to pay once the opener is installed?

Old 07-31-2017, 03:04 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Inland Empire, hmm. Let me know the last time you had to walk through a foot or two of snow to open your garage door!
Lived the last 40 years in ALASKA, I am sure that makes me over qualified to answer your question any further.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:10 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
But after I leave, it counts as an improvement. Future potential renters will find the property more attractive.
Oh, you expect future tenants to pay more rent for having an opener but you don't want to pay more rent for it? If it's truly an improvement then it's an improvement for your term as well so you should see a rent increase.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:18 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
I'm in an area where most houses, including rentals, do have automatic openers.

Want to know what makes my top 3 most common repair items? Sensors that have been bumped out of alignment, broken cables/springs, nonworking remotes (usually dead batteries), and other miscellaneous opener repairs.

The other top 3 are plumbing and HVAC repairs. Appliances are close
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting