Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 07:02 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
And back you go on my ignore list.
LOL, and I rest my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 08:52 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Of the seven section 8 tenants I've rented to over the years, only 3 of them were "acceptable". One of them is still my tenant but he pays his rent late every once in a while. One didn't stay in the program for long, she got a good job and bought herself her own place after 1 year as my tenant. The 3rd one left saying she didn't like how the neighborhood was becoming. Never had issues with maintenance for any of those 3.

The other 4 were nightmares.
My question to you - did you have any non-subsidized housing tenants and were they 100% good tenants, or do sometimes even non-section 8 tenants were nightmares?

What makes renters who work different from those who are subsidized housing renters?

I'm asking what is the reason that made these nightmare tenants? I mean what made them be so horrid?

Do you think when you work it makes you a different person than a person who does not work? (yes i know that seniors and disabled people can get section 8 and are not terrible renters.)

Why do any tenants have no respect for the landlord, the property and self respect to actually leave the toilet in such a horrid condition?

Old 12-22-2018, 09:31 AM

784 posts, read 729,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
My question to you - did you have any non-subsidized housing tenants and were they 100% good tenants, or do sometimes even non-section 8 tenants were nightmares?

What makes renters who work different from those who are subsidized housing renters?

I'm asking what is the reason that made these nightmare tenants? I mean what made them be so horrid?

Do you think when you work it makes you a different person than a person who does not work? (yes i know that seniors and disabled people can get section 8 and are not terrible renters.)

Why do any tenants have no respect for the landlord, the property and self respect to actually leave the toilet in such a horrid condition?
Once I started NOT taking tenants with a sub-625 credit score, my life was easy. I would imagine that even a 625+ credit score Section 8 tenant would be decent, if they could keep the extra felons out.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:54 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
How can they be anymore high risk when you the landlord is the only person that decides if you rent to them. Is the quality of the tenant pool smaller yes but it's you who decides who you rent to.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:47 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
My main objection to Section 8 was having a government bureaucracy up in my business.

Secondary to that, Section 8 tenants are typically from the bottom of the socio-economic ladder (how un-pc of me), often have nothing and have no respect for the property of others.

People who work for a living and have decent credit are further up the ladder.

I always said no to Section 8 without giving it a second thought.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:03 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
My Dw and I have owned four homes before our retirement home. Each of those previous homes was a Multi-Family-Residence [Triplex, fourplex, five-plex]. We have never rented to any Section 8 tenants, though we have rented to low-income or poverty families. I have heard a lot of horror stories about Section 8 tenants.

We are currently remodeling an old building to make it into ten single-occupancy apartments. With each city inspection what needs to be done has been changing, so our projected completion date has been moved back many times.

A nearby city 'Public Housing' department has contacted me. They have offered to sign a contract for all ten apartments as a block. They have a backlog of homeless people who need housing. They have insisted that they will 'manage' the tenants, run interference between tenants when they get into fights or misbehave, etc.

I do not know if I should believe what these social workers are saying.

My Dw really likes the idea of one check from the city each month.

I think I will need to budget $1,000 for each apartment's repairs, each time a tenant leaves.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:41 PM

266 posts, read 259,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I think I will need to budget $1,000 for each apartment's repairs, each time a tenant leaves.
Good idea. Perhaps you can negotiate with the public housing authority for them to cover the cost of repairs other than normal wear and tear.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:06 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
How can they be anymore high risk when you the landlord is the only person that decides if you rent to them. Is the quality of the tenant pool smaller yes but it's you who decides who you rent to.
The vast majority of bad Section 8 tenants is due to slum like rentals they occupy that could only attract garbage Section 8 applicants. A quality rental will not need to go Section 8 or will selectively accept only the quality Section 8 applicants. When a rental unit is borderline slum, you have to expect that none of the decent subsidized applicants would consider that property. So what is left is what any landlord with half a brain can see is the problem cases. If a landlord maintains a high level of standards for renting, no obviously bad tenant will make it pass the initial inquiry. But, if that landlord is only seeing the money and lowers the rental standards (applicant and housing) to slumlord level just to get that money, of course they are going to have problems.

We had to agree to stipulations and condition for development approval that required us to set aside some units for income restricted or subsidized rentals. Although the financial standards have to be adjusted to accommodate those two groups, nothing has required us to lower the standards of character of that applicant. I do not belive that a Section 8 tenant is any more a high risk to a landlord than any other tenant. The problems so many face is simply because their property is slum, they are slumlords only seeing the money and they attract only slum tenants.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:11 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
My Dw and I have owned four homes before our retirement home. Each of those previous homes was a Multi-Family-Residence [Triplex, fourplex, five-plex]. We have never rented to any Section 8 tenants, though we have rented to low-income or poverty families. I have heard a lot of horror stories about Section 8 tenants.

We are currently remodeling an old building to make it into ten single-occupancy apartments. With each city inspection what needs to be done has been changing, so our projected completion date has been moved back many times.

A nearby city 'Public Housing' department has contacted me. They have offered to sign a contract for all ten apartments as a block. They have a backlog of homeless people who need housing. They have insisted that they will 'manage' the tenants, run interference between tenants when they get into fights or misbehave, etc.

My Dw really likes the idea of one check from the city each month.

Probably run it and call you for the many repairs when they happen. How much skin in the game will sec 8 have compared to you?
The fact that they mentioned they would run interference when tenants fight and misbehave should tell you what kind of people they will rent to. Remember any damages the tenant pays for and if they are on sec 8 , good luck collecting because they are often uncollectable. Sec 8 will stick you with the bills

Old 12-25-2018, 04:23 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:

I think the social workers may be saying more than they know. "We've got a bunch here that need housing, and they are inclined to get into fights, misbehave,ect. But we'll be there for you when it happens!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting