Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2018, 04:57 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
They don’t have to. It’s a stupid talking point when people come on here and say “ most” or “ the majority” of section 8 tenants are bad or scum or whatever the particulr terminology used is.

Bottom line, it’s people who are mad they got burned by not properly vetting tenants. The LL didn’t get screwed because section 8 tenants are dirty, scum etc, they got screwed because they, for one reason or another, didn’t properly vet the tenant.

Ultimtely it’s easier to just blame the system or people when in reality the LL either chose to ignore warning signs in favor of a guaranteed rent check, or failed to do their homework.
Ok, fair enough. But, what about public housing? What about low income housing? Were those tenants poorly vetted? Every public housing project or low income apt complex I've ever seen looks like hell. They look like hell because the tenants pay little to no rent and don't give a damn about what they don't own. Same for sec 8ers...yeah, you fill one or two out of a hundred who are decent people who take care of their place, but the fact is the majority of those who pay little to no rent, with zero vested interest in the property, do not take care of the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 06:13 AM

453 posts, read 411,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Ok, fair enough. But, what about public housing? What about low income housing? Were those tenants poorly vetted? Every public housing project or low income apt complex I've ever seen looks like hell. They look like hell because the tenants pay little to no rent and don't give a damn about what they don't own. Same for sec 8ers...yeah, you fill one or two out of a hundred who are decent people who take care of their place, but the fact is the majority of those who pay little to no rent, with zero vested interest in the property, do not take care of the property.
1-2 out of 100? So 98-99% of these types of tenants just don’t care and treat the place like a dump? Sorry, not buying it.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:39 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Stop lying with 1 or 2%, any bad tenant can be reported to section 8 and they risk losing their voucher and getting barred from the program.

There were some bad neighbors in my area who were a bunch of 30 something with a mix of younger people staying there, they were dealing drugs and had attack pitbulls who they gave commands to in German who were there to protect them from being robbed. Thank God they moved out, a new family moved in and they are fine and quiet and decent, a neighbor told me they are on Section 8 and it makes me feel better about the program.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:50 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
It's a mixed bag... have had some excellent tenants and some that worked their way off the program entirely... also have managed where it is generational as in 4 generations on assistance so it is all the family knows.

What changed it for me after being a big supporter is the changes Housing made in the administration of the program...

Housing got out of the security deposit guarantee side of things citing too many loses... that should say something right there.

What it did was leave my owners holding $50 and $100 security deposits on homes renting for $1600 a month... it was a unilateral action and no appeal...

The second part is management is more intensive... about half the assisted tenants I managed have no checking account... so rent collecting was necessary.

The third part is Section 8 tenants are for the most part Judgement Proof... so there really isn't anything to go after and entrusting someone with little to no Assets with a half million dollar property here in the SF Bay Area is problematic.

I still have a few legacy Section 8 which is fine... but we have not had a new one in over a decade.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-28-2018 at 08:18 AM..

Old 04-28-2018, 09:29 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
They don’t have to. It’s a stupid talking point when people come on here and say “ most” or “ the majority” of section 8 tenants are bad or scum or whatever the particulr terminology used is.

Bottom line, it’s people who are mad they got burned by not properly vetting tenants. The LL didn’t get screwed because section 8 tenants are dirty, scum etc, they got screwed because they, for one reason or another, didn’t properly vet the tenant.

Ultimtely it’s easier to just blame the system or people when in reality the LL either chose to ignore warning signs in favor of a guaranteed rent check, or failed to do their homework.
Speaking of vetting, some might just use the fact that a person is on section 8 is a factor in saying no.
I had one sec 8 tenant that was wonderful, an elderly couple. I've had several that are not good tenants.
The problem is there are a lot of people on section 8 that just look at it as a handout. They don't have any money and are on sec 8. If they damage your property you can't go after them to pay for damages because they have no money.

Just curious how many sec 8 tenants you have?

Old 04-28-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Speaking of vetting, some might just use the fact that a person is on section 8 is a factor in saying no.
I had one sec 8 tenant that was wonderful, an elderly couple. I've had several that are not good tenants.
The problem is there are a lot of people on section 8 that just look at it as a handout. They don't have any money and are on sec 8. If they damage your property you can't go after them to pay for damages because they have no money.

Same with any retired person living on a fixed income or budge that can pay the full rent. If you get a judgement there is not way you are going to be able to collect on it if they have no assets.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Housing got out of the security deposit guarantee side of things citing too many loses... that should say something right there.

What it did was leave my owners holding $50 and $100 security deposits on homes renting for $1600 a month... it was a unilateral action and no appeal...

That would be an issue for me. If the person on section 8 is not required to come up with a deposit and the program won't pay it why would you even bother to rent to them. Obviously there are reasons people do rent to section 8.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:30 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Stop lying with 1 or 2%, any bad tenant can be reported to section 8 and they risk losing their voucher and getting barred from the program.

There were some bad neighbors in my area who were a bunch of 30 something with a mix of younger people staying there, they were dealing drugs and had attack pitbulls who they gave commands to in German who were there to protect them from being robbed. Thank God they moved out, a new family moved in and they are fine and quiet and decent, a neighbor told me they are on Section 8 and it makes me feel better about the program.
You live in a low income area what do you expect?

Old 04-28-2018, 12:34 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
That would be an issue for me. If the person on section 8 is not required to come up with a deposit and the program won't pay it why would you even bother to rent to them. Obviously there are reasons people do rent to section 8.
There was a time when it was the only prospect in town or in certain sections with lots of vacancies...

I would rehab buildings so they were nice and clean and that included landscaping... my properties were the only ones with a green lawn, etc in some areas and many went Section 8.

Another aspect I did not mention is the use of contract inspectors... this is another new development where the inspectors are paid for the number if visits and there is no continuity... no one speaking like a parent telling the tenant what Housing expects...

As mentioned... I really did think the program was quite good on many fronts back in the day... it provided affordable clean and safe housing... offered a way to retain and rehab housing stock in depressed areas and provided guidance to the family and owner...

With each change the shift has been more responsibility on the owner and many have told me if they are responsible for why bother with subsidized and they opt for non assisted tenants... it has become most difficult for new Voucher holders to find anything to rent...

Another aspect which has improved it once I have found a tenant the a request for lease approval is made... it was typically running 10 to 14 days for initial inspection... if I have a qualified tenant ready to move in... why would I wait two weeks for the chance of renting assisted.

Appliances is another item as we no longer provide any free standing appliances... it is not required and Housing allowed $2 for a stove and $2 for a refrigerator... for $48 a year to eliminate half my service calls isn't even a topic worthy of discussion...

Old 04-28-2018, 12:56 PM

167 posts, read 168,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post

Hahaha! That’s funny right there. Odd how all of the people that preach how great the program participants are have never lost a dime to one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting