Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,115 times

Advertisements

When all else fails (polite discourse, etc) I write honest online reviews on line. I wouldn't be in this position if someone had done this before me.

If the management is nonresponsive I document the overall interactions with them on something like Yelp.

Secondly because I am in a small town I write an honest review about the particular loud neighbor behavior and attempts to courteously resolve the issue. I use something like apartmentreviews.com.

That way the next person can make a more informed decision if they want to live in this specific apartment. And then I take my business elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,066 times
It's annoying so many simply suggest wearing earplugs as if that somehow fixes the issue. Cool Let me wear my earplugs during the day and not be able to hear my television which can't even drown out the noisy walking neighbor when it's at a respectable volume level. Why do they get a pleasant living experience yet I get a terrible experience? The whole mantra of "just deal with it" is sad and isn't a reasonable solution. We all have sophisticated cell phones we can make videos and record the noise and document the time and day and when you've had enough bring all evidence to management as actual proof instead of he said she said. Secondly, post real, honest reviews about where you live not just a bash piece so others will take you serious and not think you're just a bitter individual. Almost ALL large property management companies review these sites and take your grief serious to avoid potential loss of future tenants. Lastly, seek legal assistance for advice. I'm only one month into my new apt. and I've already started recording this persons "normal" living noise, because I'm dealing with a HEAVY heal walking male.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:49 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFloorbelowYou View Post
It's annoying so many simply suggest wearing earplugs as if that somehow fixes the issue. Cool Let me wear my earplugs during the day and not be able to hear my television which can't even drown out the noisy walking neighbor when it's at a respectable volume level. Why do they get a pleasant living experience yet I get a terrible experience? The whole mantra of "just deal with it" is sad and isn't a reasonable solution. We all have sophisticated cell phones we can make videos and record the noise and document the time and day and when you've had enough bring all evidence to management as actual proof instead of he said she said. Secondly, post real, honest reviews about where you live not just a bash piece so others will take you serious and not think you're just a bitter individual. Almost ALL large property management companies review these sites and take your grief serious to avoid potential loss of future tenants. Lastly, seek legal assistance for advice. I'm only one month into my new apt. and I've already started recording this persons "normal" living noise, because I'm dealing with a HEAVY heal walking male.

Ear plugs is for when you go to sleep. Why would someone tell you to use ear plugs when you are not sleeping?

Old 07-21-2016, 11:37 AM

10 posts, read 91,624 times
Nothing else will really work other than moving--yes, I know, that isn't what you wanna hear. I'm in a situation now similar.

My upstairs neighbors have tons of people who aren't even on their lease living with them and I managed to prove it to the manager. For a month, they've been having family, friends, god knows who else shacking up in their 2 bedroom apartment and the noise is so loud I swear to God it'll awaken the dead. A lot of people on this forum will tell you that stomping, running, jumping in an apartment is normal and unfortunately most LL's will tell you the same thing because they don't want to deal with it. However, I believe that if you're so affected by the noise that you can't do normal every day things (Sleeping, watching TV, enjoying peace and quiet in general) because of your neighbors noise, it's a problem.

I knew this was a tenant issue because I had a family of 3 living above me previously whom I rarely ever heard. If I did hear them, it was barely anything at all and they were pretty quiet. My current neighbors sound like Godzilla going through Tokyo. I had to start wearing ear plugs every single night to sleep because they'd wake me up every morning multiple times with their stomping; 3:00 am, 5:30 am, 4:45 am were the typical times because all of them being unemployed allowed them to have the freedom to stay up all night long. I never got a break from them, ever! The noise was so unbearable that I called the police a few times because they were wrestling/running in my bedroom in the middle of the night, as well as numerous phone and in person complaints to the manager. Manager knew they were bad, she also knew they had unauthorized tenants living with them, but didn't do anything but send them a letter. After the letter was sent out, they got even worse (If you can believe that) and began to damage my property. Again, nothing was done by management.

I was tired of fighting a battle. I love my apartment, but I like my sanity more and I was tired of literally dreading going home and being uncomfortable in my own apartment because of sh*tty people living above me. I broke my lease and I am leaving in 2 weeks to relocate to a top floor apartment somewhere else. Some people really don't need to be living above people and I am SO glad I don't have to deal with these fools anymore.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,116 times
I'm thinking of the air horn too!...I bought a condo bottom floor and the people upstairs let their kid(s) run back and forth, jump off stuff all day long. I have a chandelier that has shaken several times because of how bad he is and the constant running and jumping noise stresses my dogs. Its worse on the weekend because they park their car and don't move all weekend so the kid is upstairs all weekend and is stir crazy and doing his thing while parents are playing video games. It's not the kids fault, there's parks close by, out door space but they sit up there all day and the poor kid is going crazy. Problem is my family and I are going crazy, we've yelled, tried the broom handle on the ceiling thing but they could care less. And really why should we have to wear ear plugs to live in our own home? I understand the normal walking, normal noises and even kids running some, but the constant running back and forth, jumping up and down, and jumping off the furniture is uncalled for and we shouldn't have to sit with earplugs in our ears all day.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josheee4 View Post
I'm thinking of the air horn too!...I bought a condo bottom floor and the people upstairs let their kid(s) run back and forth, jump off stuff all day long. I have a chandelier that has shaken several times because of how bad he is and the constant running and jumping noise stresses my dogs. Its worse on the weekend because they park their car and don't move all weekend so the kid is upstairs all weekend and is stir crazy and doing his thing while parents are playing video games. It's not the kids fault, there's parks close by, out door space but they sit up there all day and the poor kid is going crazy. Problem is my family and I are going crazy, we've yelled, tried the broom handle on the ceiling thing but they could care less. And really why should we have to wear ear plugs to live in our own home? I understand the normal walking, normal noises and even kids running some, but the constant running back and forth, jumping up and down, and jumping off the furniture is uncalled for and we shouldn't have to sit with earplugs in our ears all day.
ear plugs are only worn when you go to sleep not during the day when you are awake.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:59 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,592,767 times
There is never any solutions to rental problems because renting sucks period. It's similar to being in prison you have neighbors sharing walls and having to deal with people you don't like. When you complain the owners don't care. I was never in prison but that's what i associate renting with. And before you say well you have the freedom to leave. Technically yes you have the freedom to leave but if you break a lease you pay a penalty. Also most people don't have the money to just up and leave in short notice. Then if you break a lease you will have a bad rental reference. So pretty much you are locked in like prison.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
There is never any solutions to rental problems because renting sucks period. It's similar to being in prison you have neighbors sharing walls and having to deal with people you don't like. When you complain the owners don't care. I was never in prison but that's what i associate renting with. And before you say well you have the freedom to leave. Technically yes you have the freedom to leave but if you break a lease you pay a penalty. Also most people don't have the money to just up and leave in short notice. Then if you break a lease you will have a bad rental reference. So pretty much you are locked in like prison.
well I been living in this place for 60 days and it's far from a prison. It's quiet and the neighborhood is safe and the person living above me does not cause a lot of disturbances. The hallway doesn't stink because the building doesn't allow pets and the apartment doesn't have mice because trash is taken outside. So this apartment to me is like Heaven not a prison.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:47 PM

10 posts, read 91,624 times
I know I already commented on this and I know this is old, but at least OP's neighbor had a job and they got a break from her. My neighbors upstairs were all unemployed and they never left their apartment hardly ever so I rarely got any peace and quiet because they were always home; home all throughout the week and weekend and it was a living nightmare. When I moved out, I made sure to get a top floor apartment because I just could not risk having people like that living above me again. I think I even developed slight PTSD from it because I swear I can still hear stomping over my head once and awhile lol

Old 07-31-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neighborsfromhell View Post
I know I already commented on this and I know this is old, but at least OP's neighbor had a job and they got a break from her. My neighbors upstairs were all unemployed and they never left their apartment hardly ever so I rarely got any peace and quiet because they were always home; home all throughout the week and weekend and it was a living nightmare. When I moved out, I made sure to get a top floor apartment because I just could not risk having people like that living above me again. I think I even developed slight PTSD from it because I swear I can still hear stomping over my head once and awhile lol
No one went shopping for food or to get fresh air or job interviews? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting