Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:09 PM

703 posts, read 2,942,763 times

Advertisements

This question pertains mainly to Maryland (Mont. Co.). I have an opportunity to sign a 2-yr lease and was wondering if this is a good deal or not. By signing in for 2-yrs, I can "lock" it a rate increase of 4.4% for year 2. Apparently, this is the rate at which this year's leases are increasing at the apartment complex (which is absurd in and of itself given the economy and county suggested increase of 3%). What do you think? We plan on staying at this community for up to the next 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 06:37 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
If your county suggested 3% and there offering you 4.4%,
you don't even need to do the math, there not giving you an
incentive. Ask the prospective LL what the rental increase
would be if you signed a 1yr lease and then renewed.
I believe counties put a cap on how much they can increase
per year.

Last edited by virgode; 07-15-2009 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,310 times
I would never lock in an increase. A year is a long time and you never know what the market will bring. The market in your area could stay steady and you could not get an increase at the end of your lease or it could do poor and maybe they'll even consider a slight decrease. You just never know. Why agree right off the rip to pay more?

Old 07-16-2009, 09:48 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
I agree with Babytarheelz. The economy is showing no signs of recovery and is actually getting worse each day. With less people be able to afford rentals the owners will have little choice but to lower the price. (I have seen this where I am located). I suggest trying to negotiate the rate or asking for a rent freeze for two years.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:59 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I agree with Babytarheelz. The economy is showing no signs of recovery and is actually getting worse each day. With less people be able to afford rentals the owners will have little choice but to lower the price. (I have seen this where I am located). I suggest trying to negotiate the rate or asking for a rent freeze for two years.

Rent freeze for two years is excellent idea. Actually, 1year goes by quickly, moving is a pain you know where.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:09 PM

621 posts, read 2,218,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Rent freeze for two years is excellent idea. Actually, 1year goes by quickly, moving is a pain you know where.
I don't think the OP's rent will remain the same for the 2nd year... I believe OP states that the agreement is an increase of 4.4% for the 2nd year... That's insane to agree to it and not have an option at year 2 to either move to sign another lease at a potentially lower increase or same rate as the 1st year.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:38 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
I agree with most comments here. Just sign a 1 year lease and see what happens in a year. The only way a 2 year lease makes sense is if you lock in the same rate for the entire 2 years. Agreeing to a 4.4% increase before you even move in is not a good deal. Besides, if you end up next to the neighbors from hell or just hate the apartment, you will only be stuck in it for 1 year instead of 2.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:22 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I'm seeing exactly the opposite. Our housing market is pretty sad, but our rental market is booming. We are raising our asking rate on all units as they come up vacant, because of all the demand. Yet, I see stories running in the local paper saying how bad the apartment market is and how many vacancies there are. Ours are all houses and duplexes and our phones are ringing off the hook.

What I'm seeing is that more people (with otherwise good credit) are unable to afford their huge house payment, so are downsizing into rental houses at a record pace.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:30 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I'm seeing exactly the opposite. Our housing market is pretty sad, but our rental market is booming. We are raising our asking rate on all units as they come up vacant, because of all the demand. Yet, I see stories running in the local paper saying how bad the apartment market is and how many vacancies there are. Ours are all houses and duplexes and our phones are ringing off the hook.

What I'm seeing is that more people (with otherwise good credit) are unable to afford their huge house payment, so are downsizing into rental houses at a record pace.
We're actually seeing the exact same thing here in our apartment market. Occupancy is up & demand is high. With the credit crunch, new development (which was going crazy here) has halted, increasing the demand on the already constructed units. The communities here are getting substantial increases for their renewals. I know it's not the same everywhere though, so it would be in the OP's best interested to wait it out in their market.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:33 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Besides, if you end up next to the neighbors from hell or just hate the apartment, you will only be stuck in it for 1 year instead of 2.
This is just what I was thinking! From personal experience-- a place can look absolutely great to you now, but maybe in 6 months you will hate it! No one selling you an apartment is necessarily going to be honest with you if, for instance, maintenance is bad, the office staff is unhelpful, or you have a bunch of jerks for neighbors. And those are things that can be pretty hard to distinguish viewing a unit. Also, rentals, especially complexes, can sometimes go through staff quickly. The place could be managed completely differently a year from now.

If it were someplace you'd lived before, and really like, then I would definitely consider a two year lease, but agreeing to live in a rental you've never lived in before for two years-- this is really risky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting