Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 PM

39 posts, read 160,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Dang, had a big long post typed and then lost my internet connection. Lets see if I can remember it all.

First of all, good luck. Expect to have a tough time. Don't be surprised if you get laughed at or hung up on a few times. You have too many "automatic no"s on that list to even be considered by most landlords.

A couple of questions. Is your credit bad because of any of the following: Eviction, judgement, or utility bills in collection? If so, that will be an extra mark against you. Also, you said you need to move ASAP. Usually, that indicates to a landlord that you are being evicted from whereever you currently live, which is obviously a black mark.

Being realistic, in most cases with a tenant with bad credit, a LL is only willing to rent if the tenant pays a large security deposit, which you are unable to do, or has a cosigner, which you are also unable to do.

The fact that you receive your money under the table is a negative, because if you default on rent, there are no wages for the LL to garnish. That makes you a higher risk, too.

I hate to even make any suggestions, because you are such a high risk and I hate to see anyone take on someone who is likely to default, but I think your best bets are either an extended stay hotel, or try to find a roommate or private owner who doesn't care about credit.

Again, good luck.
Willing to live in any major/mid-major metro to be honest.

My credit is bad because of a delinquent credit card and a medical emergency. I've never had any delinquent rent or bills.

Thanks for the tip on extended hotel stays and finding private owner. Will definitely add that to my notes.

I know my situation isn't ideal -- but I also believe I have quite a bit of potential to be a fantastic tenant. I have the skills to make a comfortable living and pay my bills on time -- and I am respectful to other peoples property like it's my own.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,685 times
Your choices are: rent a ghetto apartment in a complex, sublet or rent from an individual who doesn't have high standards.

You CAN rent but you can't be very picky, which I think a lot of the responses are assuming.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 PM

Im not very picky at all. Just need a roof over my head and a relatively-stable address so that I don't shiver on the streets at night and can find a job (and move into something more comfortable as I save/repair my finances).

Thanks for your response js1.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:05 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Do you report ALL your earnings? I was Self employed for yrs....but to buy or rent I reposrted
ALL income to IRS...which gave me a work/cr history. Not to mention when I became disables I could get my own SSD. You could try HUD apts in your area [Rent 30% income & They seem to over look bad cr involving Hospital...not sure about cr cards.] GOOD LUCK!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idriveabucket View Post
Im not very picky at all. Just need a roof over my head and a relatively-stable address so that I don't shiver on the streets at night and can find a job (and move into something more comfortable as I save/repair my finances).

Thanks for your response js1.
You edited your original post shortly after you wrote it and eliminated the point that you had been unemployed for the last 18 months. You later noted that your bad credit is due to, "a delinquent credit card and a medical emergency". Have you been on some sort of medical disability for a while which has prohibited you from seeking employment? I doubt that this would in any way influence a prospective LL to take a chance on you but it might qualify for you for some sort of housing assistance.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:27 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
Have you tried calling the United Way or local social services for assistance? With homelessness looming, you need to step up and see about housing services. Start researching assisted housing.... maybe you could also look on craigslist for shared housing/roommate situations.

I am a landlord and my heart goes out to you but I am a landlord for business reasons and I cannot provide housing. I do donate to charities, however, and want every breathing being on this earth to have a place called home.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,843 times
Are there any bulletin boards where you are in which roommates advertise? Perhaps you can get a room in a share from somewhere like craigslist?

Just be careful of scams there.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:06 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Are there any bulletin boards where you are in which roommates advertise? Perhaps you can get a room in a share from somewhere like craigslist?

Just be careful of scams there.
In another recent post on another CD forum, the OP made it quite clear that any kind of a room-mate situation is out of the question. I hate to use the "red flag"come-back but when a 25 year old hasn't been gainfully employed for 18 months, has a bad credit rating and only $1500 in cash on hand and hasn't followed this thread to answer legitimately posed questions, I have a problem as do many other long time contributors. The night is still young so I guess we'll see what transpires!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:19 PM

I've made money doing odd jobs and have lived off of past savings while living in my grandparents spare bedroom the last year and a half (that is no longer an option and I have no other family). I'm not saying that because I want to be consoled, I'm saying that because that's the reality of my situation, and I don't have the luxury of waiting.

And I'm not looking for handouts from landlords, not looking for advice on the seriousness of my life, and not looking for career advice.

I'm simply looking for advice from other renters/land lords on how I can find/get approved for my *own* apartment with the criteria I laid out. I have my reasons for not being able to be in a roommate situation; I feel I've shared enough about my personal life to get some actionable feedback. In return I've been backhandedly put down by several members here. Some of which have the audacity to wonder why they've gotten no legitimate answers in return. It shouldn't be anybody's business why I live my life the way I choose.

Either you can help me find an apartment (this is the renting section of city-data.com) given my unique circumstances or you can't. But please save your 2 cents if it doesn't directly pertain to the question asked.

Last edited by idriveabucket; 04-07-2010 at 07:18 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 06:50 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
The BEST way to find an apt IS to Apply & see what the LL decides. And since you Dont have Any rental History this too will make it hard. BUT Times are hard & LL may take a chance on you. Esp a LL with Lots of empty apts. As I said before GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting