Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:29 AM

106,952 posts, read 109,218,153 times

Advertisements

a life where money dosnt matter anymore?????

i dont think that will happen in my life unless im either a farmer or dead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 07:40 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,961,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
a life where money dosnt matter anymore?????

i dont think that will happen in my life unless im either a farmer or dead!
Being a Farmer does not mean all that much anymore ether. There was a time when you could have sold the Farm ( it was paid off) , and retired to town , very comfortable. No more , most have mortaged their property to the hilt untill its easier to walk away after the auction , with maybe enough to afford a modest apartment or a moble home in Sun City.....and they still get a part time job at the Ace Hardware, to pay the medical bills.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:42 AM

guess im left with one option then,death..... unfourtunetly its not money thats the problem thru life, its lack of money thats the issue.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:02 AM

Yes , but the quest everyone is working for , is that balance. Downsizing, cutting back , not buying new anymore. The problem is it costs so much to get buy these days. Young people are having a problem saving , just for that reason. Fact is , we Americans waste more going thru life than we ever save... One of the reasons Ebay , Crags List , and Flea markets are doing so well. Will the future retirees have as good a lifestyle as their parents ? I think maybe , if they set their sights a little lower.
We come into this world with nothing , we leave the same way....you are correct , death is the final answer.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:13 AM

what your saying is exactly what i thought looking back at my parents generation...... my dad retired with a postal pension, paid medical and social security...... i thought how can my generation ever expect to retire ,we have none of that for the most part..

well here i am getting ready to retire myself and all somehow worked out ....it took a lifetime of investing, learning and putting off things i really didnt need so i would have more to invest.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:33 AM

Being the Creative type it was always a struggle to find the discipline to be frugal, to put off , to save for years down the road. I spent it all , having a ball, when I was still young and coud enjoy the extreams..... I don't regret any of it, yet , I do regret the fact that I never saved for a rainy day, I now pay the price, but its been a good life all the way...its hard to do both, if you are always reaching for the brass ring, and beat to a different drummer as I did. Being self employed all those 40 years left me with the flex to do what I wanted , whenever I wanted , that alone was worth a lot.
I may not have any retirement benefits, nor a pension , nor a huge investment portfolio , but I still do have the ability to make a few bucks when I need it, a new high tech home in Paradise , and my health, a couple of newer vehicles, all paid for....for now, tomorrow might be different, that is what worries me the most.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:03 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,097,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes , but the quest everyone is working for , is that balance. Downsizing, cutting back , not buying new anymore. The problem is it costs so much to get buy these days. Young people are having a problem saving , just for that reason. Fact is , we Americans waste more going thru life than we ever save... One of the reasons Ebay , Crags List , and Flea markets are doing so well. Will the future retirees have as good a lifestyle as their parents ? I think maybe , if they set their sights a little lower.
We come into this world with nothing , we leave the same way....you are correct , death is the final answer.
What if you could pass your retirement savings, IRA, 401,403 etc on to your children tax free as a foundation for their retirement. Wouldn't that change a lot and ease the burden on future generations. They would have to have it go into a retirement fund that they couldn't touch until the designated age. Imagine a pool of money passing generation to generation targeted only for retirement and not taxed until withdrawal?

Old 08-13-2010, 12:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,975,479 times
Yes but like after the 70's recession savings is going up and people are not reentering the markets like before.One result of the 70's recession was a generation of those who did not reenter the markets. This actaully lead to much more investing in small business which exploded and savings thru the 80's. I don't see people takig near as much risk now like then in the coming generation.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
What if you could pass your retirement savings, IRA, 401,403 etc on to your children tax free as a foundation for their retirement. Wouldn't that change a lot and ease the burden on future generations. They would have to have it go into a retirement fund that they couldn't touch until the designated age. Imagine a pool of money passing generation to generation targeted only for retirement and not taxed until withdrawal?
Leaving money and material things to your relatives , whoever , causes more problems than it solves. They all wind up fighting over what you worked for all your life.... Not good. Let them work for it , like we all did. Handing down a small business , that the relatives are active in , care about , and can continue to make grow , is a different thing. That I aprove of.
The faimly's out there that won the Loto may be another thing , but for most of us , its work till we can't work anymore , just to survive.... And I don't just mean wage earners ether. Small Business is the backbone of this country , thats where the " investments" should be directed , back into the business.... One more reason I beleave in investment tax credits....but thats another thread.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:10 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,097,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Yes but like after the 70's recession savings is going up and people are not reentering the markets like before.One result of the 70's recession was a generation of those who did not reenter the markets. This actaully lead to much more investing in small business which exploded and savings thru the 80's. I don't see people takig near as much risk now like then in the coming generation.
Back up five years ago. Markets were good and the economy was booming. There was a major question hanging over the market long term. It was often discussed on financial shows. The was:

What would boomers do when they hit the market? Would they continue to invest in equities? Would they continue to hold equities? Would they go to safer instruments and circle the savings wagon in retirement? Quite possibly the reluctance to invest in equities was inevitable and not just the down turn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement