Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:17 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbird View Post
bideshi, RMDs are taxed as ordinary income now. I'd be surprised if these distributions were singled out for an even higher tax.
If they are considering raising the "full" retirement age to 68 or 69, what would keep them from raising the age for early withdrawal from 591/2 to 62 or 65? The additional 10% penalty on all these people would be a "tax" masquerading under another name. What if they decide to raise the early withdrawal penalty from 10% to 20%? Another form of "tax".

The government is has one thing in common with the bank robber, Willie, "The Actor" Sutton. When they want to rob you, they are going to go "where the money is". Right now, it is your retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 08:06 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Default Doing nothing is a big mistake.

This is my second time retiring. The first time I was 60 and after three years was so bored I just had to get a job. I took a job as a minimum wage delivery driver and believe it or not I really enjoyed meeting so many people in so many different locations. BTW I went for making six figures to minimum but because there was no pressure I really liked my delivery job.
Now I am in a new location in a different state and currently not working but I look forward to getting another "retirement" job.
Not enough to do around the house so I do need a couple of days work every week just to not go stir crazy.
Lots of my neighbors play golf almost every day but I gave that a try and since I stink at it I can't do that on a regular basis.

Hopefully this spring I will find something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement