Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:45 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,801,652 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 six pack working on 6 now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:02 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
100 lb, wow! Can you tell us how, with specifics?

How do you do high fiber if you're eating low carbs? Most fiber is in whole grains (carbs).
OK, here goes ...

Basically a combination of the Atkins and the Air Force diet. There were a few things I refused to give up, such as caffeine!

Lots and lots of raw vegetables, cooked a few - Iceberg Lettuce, Romaine Lettuce, Boston Lettuce, Bibb Lettuce, Cucumber, Alfalfa sprouts, Mushrooms, Arugula, Endive, Parsley, Bok Choy, Escarole, Peppers, Celery, Fennel, Radicchio, Chicory, Jicama, Radishes, Chives, Artichoke, Celery Root, Pumpkin, Artichoke Hearts, Asparagus, Chard , Sauerkraut, Bamboo Shoots, Eggplant, Spinach, Broccoli, Hearts of Palm, String Beans, Brussell Sprouts, Tomato, Leeks, Turnips, Cabbage, Water Chestnuts, Cauliflower, Onion, Zucchini, Scallions, Dandelion, Snow Peas, Bean Sprouts, Dandelion Greens, Spaghetti Squash, Summer Squash, Beet Greens, Baby Corn.

No peas, potatoes, beets, or regular size corn. No bread - until I found low-carb bread and tortillas. No rice or potatoes or pasta. Then I found Dreamfields Pasta

As much protein (meat, poultry, fish, eggs) as I wanted. No organ meats. Careful on the shellfish.

As much real butter, sour cream, hard cheese as I wanted. No cottage cheese. Some peanut butters are OK.

No milk - only full fat cream/whipping cream. Mustard and mayonnaise OK. Oils OK.

64 ounces of water a day minimum.

I bought a computer program (MasterCook) that allowed me enter foods to find out their nutritional values. I have hundreds of 'safe' recipes now. Or you can use the USDA free database. It's a neat little app for the desktop.

Fruit - berries for the first year. In cream! Now I eat apples, citrus, and peaches and grapes. In moderation.

Didn't eat these (all have sugar) - ketchup, deli salads, a lot of salad dressings (made my own). Now I buy full-fat ranch dressing - 1 carb per serving.

If I wanted an alcoholic drink - it was hard liquor. Never wine or beer.

Stay AWAY from anything labeled Low Fat – they are full of sugar! Read the food labels. If it says zero, count it as one.

I ate about 20 to 30 carbs a day and I was never hungry. I craved stuff, but I wasn't hungry. I eat about 40 to 50 a day now. Which means the occasional baked potato. And wine

It was the complete opposite of what I was taught ("Count calories!" "Oils and fat are bad!") Low-carb works for me. It won't work for everyone. Give me a yell if you need more info

Old 03-31-2011, 04:27 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,524,353 times
Quote:
Wow, what a story. Sixty pounds in 2 months, are you kidding?

So was it the stress, or the kind of food you both eat, that brought the weight back?

Naw, it had nothing to do with diet. Just contentment.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:35 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,414 times
Quote:
Curious to know who has lost weight after age 55, and how?

I'd like to hear your story--and method!
I have rheumatoid arthritis and am a diabetic,I had to keep my weight off for diabetes but with the RA it was hard to exercise,I have listened to my friends who use every excuse why they couldn't exercise possible and I didn't want to sound like them.

with much thought and trying different things I have found this works for men I have lost 25 lbs in 4 months. but do to a 3 month bout with bronchitis ,I have gained 12 lbs back. now my lungs are good I'm ready to start exercising again.

!. reduce what you eat
2. drink lots of water
3.do at least 25-50 sit ups a day ( I have a AB longer it is easy to use and works)
4. ride a bicycle. (low impact and its good for the heart)
5. dont skip one day commit to a daily routine.

I do 75 sit ups in the morning then ride about 3-5 miles on my bike .

start with 25 sit-ups on the ab lounger ,and just ride the bike around the block but do it everyday and after a while you will increase your sit ups and your miles and this will become something you can look forward to,...I know I never ever exercised in my life but when my life was being cut short ...
I decided to give it a try and it really does make you feel good....well I have to go hit the ab lounger and I'm sad because its raining today so no bike ride

Old 04-01-2011, 09:34 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,602 times
Counting calories is not complicated at all. The vast majority of food now have the calories plainly written on the box or container. VERY simple and in my mind, the only way to lose weight. Most people who eat 1200 calories a day and walk a half hour a day WILL lose weight.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:21 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
I lost 70 lbs. at age 66.

Reduced portions, 3 meals a day, emphasis on protein with low carb and very low fat. Lots of vegetables, almost no fruit--just an occasional apple or orange. No potatoes, no rice, no pasta, one slice of WW bread with breakfast. Plenty of water and a good, calorie-burning workout 4-5 days a week. I ate plenty of salmon, chicken breast, Egg Beaters, little beef, no pork. Fast for 24 hours once a week, starting after your evening meal and then fasting until the evening meal the next day.

It takes "will power" the first couple of weeks but after that it's discipline. Your appetite will decrease after about a week when the fat burning process gets started. I found it easier to just walk away from anything tempting rather than "fall off the wagon" and then try to get back on.

I started with a 48 hour fast, eating an evening meal and then fasting until the evening meal 48 hours later. If the fasting makes you light-headed, have an apple or an orange. Then start with your meal plan.

Get plenty of sleep and if you feel weak or tired, eat an apple or an orange.

I also took food supplements. It took me about 8 months to lose the weight.

Whatever plan you choose, good luck.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:04 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:

I lost a few pounds by exercising more.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:

Your question should be something more like "Who has lost weight and kept it off for X years?"
Anybody can lose weight but we need to frame our questions to get useful responses.

If someone has to have enormous will power and deprivation, and write down how many crumbs they ate that morning....is that what you're looking for? Is that "victory"? Are you willing to do that?

Why, because in many cases the 5% or so of people who do keep it off long term are in that boat. Very few people simply "make better decisions" as if it was as simple and effortless as flipping a switch (as if a strawberry is just as satisfying as a bowl of ice cream).

Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,922,650 times
Family trauma which took away appetite. Could only eat a half a banana per day and some other miscellaneous stuff.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:23 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Lost 60 pounds between ages 63 and 65. It was a combination of a cross-country move and setting up a new house, lots of yard work and landscaping, regular walks and a diet full of healthy (green, leafy) vegetables, a little healthy fat, very lean meats, mostly white meat poultry, for protein, lotsa fish, a couple of probiotics a day and very few carbs. Forays into more caloric, comfort foods are few and far between, eaten in moderation and just to settle an urge and keep from becoming bored. I grill on average five nights a week for the meats, fish and a number of vegetables.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 05-11-2012 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement