Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:06 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
^^Interesting comments, livecontent. When I worked and ate out a lot, I had skin trouble even in my 60s and was 10 lbs heavier than today. Now, I shop at the organic food store once a week, prepare all my own meals, have lost 10 lbs, and lately have noticed I have more color in my face and skin is better balanced. I do have a sensitive liver, so when I went organic in my diet, I noticed a definite difference in how I looked and felt. The liver/filtering system pretty much keeps me disciplined in diet - quality and quantity. I will eat out occasionally, but very selectively. After reading your post, I'll never look at a restaurant meal the same way again. I've had my suspicions over the years which you've confirmed.

ETA: Interesting thing about high-quality, nutrient-rich food. It tastes a whole lot better - and you need less of it. Just broil a piece of fish/chicken/grass-fed beef, steam some spinach, have a big green salad w/olive oil and garlic, you won't be hungry after that. And you won't get fat, either. Nor will your arteries clog.
You are a smart and intelligent person and you do really know what works for you. In principle, I support some of the concepts of organic and natural foods--not all. However, in practice and what I know about the food industry is that there is much fraud. You never really know or can ascertain what you are buying. I worked in food purchasing for large organizations and I trained at the Culinary Institute, in Hyde Park, NY. I know food, the government specifications and I just do not think that there is the necessary oversight and inspections to avoid the mislabeling and substitutions to make more money.

If you are satisfied with what you buy then it is good for you. But I will not pay these high prices for dubious products and sometimes fanciful benefits. Alice Waters, the owner of Chez Panisse in Berkeley and the early proponent of this natural and local food movement, engages in food purchasing that is great for her restaurant but cannot feed the whole world, just a wealthy elite.

You suggestion of broiled protein with a side of steam spinach is a wonderful and healthy idea, if one can afford these expensive, exclusive proteins. I tend to live more on legumes, inexpensive vegetable and fruit that I find at the local grocery, Hispanic and Asian Markets. I do not shop at Whole Foods but I find some values at Sunflower Markets--this week, I bought peaches at 47 cents a lb., leaf lettuce at 77 cents each, grapes at 57 cents a lb., and the biggest red peppers at 77 cents a lb. I am going to make stuffed red peppers with ground turkey for father's day.

I do have extensive health problems, mostly attributed to childhood diseases, bad luck and the arbitrary acts of the gods. I believe it is important to look at what one eats. If I see a a problem, I do change my diet but not for some overblown, overhyped and periodic popular fads. My cholesterol is very low--perhaps because I eat very little meat, more grains, vegetables and fruit; but mostly because of my genes. I do take supplements at the direction of my physician but I do no buy into all these protein/vitamin fortified waters and the other expensive nonsense foods that I see in the stores.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-17-2011 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 11:12 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Oh, I agree, about fads. No vitamin fortified water for me.

The coop I frequent is an offshoot of a coop that began 40 years ago in our city. It now has three locations in our city. Back in the day we would place orders and the stuff would be flown in from California.

I do notice a definite difference in the taste and shelf life of fresh organic produce vs. not. But I also think this is very area specific.

I don't function well at all on grains and legumes. Although I can eat a small amount of that stuff, I get very sluggish and develop brain fog if I try to combine grain/legume for a protein. Doesn't work for me at all. My organic coop makes the best zucchini feta bake, which I can't eat because it contains wheatberries which make me feel immediately fat when I eat it. I never eat white bread, although spouted grain breads in small amounts are fine. Can only occasionally eat brown rice which I love because, again, I blow up like a balloon. Same for oatmeal. Metabolically I just can't handle grains other than in very small amounts. Lentils and garbanzos seem to be ok, however.

I am programmed to do well on animal protein. Very particular about the source and how it is raised. My son just stocked his freezer with range-fed beef from a guy in Indiana who raises longhorns. The taste of the meat was incredible and no fat. Wonderful stuff. Not organic, but at least not a feed-lot animal. I've also found that buffalo meat makes a great hamburger.

I don't shop at Whole Foods. No store near my house although they are in our city competing with our coop. I visited a Whole Foods in Detroit a few years ago and was not impressed. Coop I frequent is very hard-core on its suppliers and not overly expensive. Buy all my eggs, butter, milk there. Most come from local organic dairy farms in the state.

My food budget is about $300/month, which for the quality of what I buy, and the quantity of the animal protein, is not over the top. I know you spend much less, but metabolically I couldn't eat your diet. Too many carbs. So, I'm stuck buying expensive meat. But at my age I don't need huge portions anymore. It's doable for now.

Haven't a single health problem, so it works for me.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-17-2011 at 11:30 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 01:51 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We are fortunate, however, to live in a beautiful coastal region of Florida that has mega-options in every price range and of every kind of dining one could want. If we had a bigger budget, we would eat out more, there are plenty of delicious but healthy places to choose from here, especially seafood. YUM!
Those are mutually exclusive terms.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:47 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I honestly can't remember the last time we ate out....barbecues at family gatherings are about the only times.....We never eat fast foods...too expensive and a waste of money for what you get.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:57 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
But, Mickey D's (McDonalds) fries are so, so, SO good!! And, Pizza Hut's, Cheese In The Crust, pizza brought home is great with a couple of Bud Lights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I honestly can't remember the last time we ate out....barbecues at family gatherings are about the only times.....We never eat fast foods...too expensive and a waste of money for what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement