Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:03 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times

Advertisements

I rarely eat out and I eat out often.

I rarely eat out at overpriced and overhyped restaurants. I eat out often when I pack my food and enjoy the ambiance and the decor of the great outdoors "restaurants" of parks, trails, and open space of Colorado. The word restaurant means a place for being "restored" For these venues are the places that "restore" and provide fuel to my body and soul.

Nothing can be more "natural" and "organic" then sitting under a tree; being by a stream; looking up to the clear blue skys; smelling the fresh air, while enjoying my repase of fresh food that I prepared myself. I invite others to go out and be my dining partners.

No crowds; no waiting for a table; no suspicious food quality; no fake atmosphere; no pretensions and no greedy grabs for tips.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 07:19 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
But, I LIKE all of that!! I know, I know.......we're weird, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I rarely eat out and I eat out often.

I rarely eat out at overpriced and overhyped restaurants. I eat out often when I pack my food and enjoy the ambiance and the decor of the great outdoors "restaurants" of parks, trails, and open space of Colorado. The word restaurant means a place for being "restored" For these venues are the places that "restore" and provide fuel to my body and soul.

Nothing can be more "natural" and "organic" then sitting under a tree; being by a stream; looking up to the clear blue skys; smelling the fresh air, while enjoying my repase of fresh food that I prepared myself. I invite others to go out and be my dining partners.

No crowds; no waiting for a table; no suspicious food quality; no fake atmosphere; no pretensions and no greedy grabs for tips.
Livecontent

Old 06-16-2011, 07:30 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
[quote=tijlover;19596262]Another factor: I'm too lazy to go out and eat. Changing out of my dirty clothes, getting cleaned up, the driving, the potential waiting line, waiting for the food, waiting for the check, waiting for the change, driving back home and getting back into my old clothes. Oofta! Wears me out just thinking about it!

And one more factor: Can't smoke in restaurants anymore. I can enjoy a meal at home, and have a cigarette afterwards! [quote]

Something tells me that you are not from Las Vegas originally... That whole 'planning to go out to eat' too-much-trouble procedure sounds just like a lot of my local friends here... especially with the "Oofta!" at the end!

Pretty much how I feel too... especially about the cigarette! Why put up with other peoples' prejudices, and have to go outside, when I can please myself at home? Plus the local bar doesn't have my blackberry merlot...

Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 AM

This Thread isn't a "smoking debate", but.......why oh why did I know that someone would say that word "prejudice" when it comes to restaurants not allowing smoking?? My Thread is about "eating out", but I spent numerous years in the medical field, including emergency medicine and Senior healthcare. Is smoking good for older folks? Every time I hear our 57 yr old female neighbor coughing/hacking while she smoking.......what does that tell anyone?? I use to smoke and stopped. I use to chew/dip and stopped. People, like my wife who have asthma, can't be/don't like being around smokers.........are they "prejudice"......don't think so!

[quote=SCGranny;19614051][quote=tijlover;19596262]Another factor: I'm too lazy to go out and eat. Changing out of my dirty clothes, getting cleaned up, the driving, the potential waiting line, waiting for the food, waiting for the check, waiting for the change, driving back home and getting back into my old clothes. Oofta! Wears me out just thinking about it!

And one more factor: Can't smoke in restaurants anymore. I can enjoy a meal at home, and have a cigarette afterwards!
Quote:

Something tells me that you are not from Las Vegas originally... That whole 'planning to go out to eat' too-much-trouble procedure sounds just like a lot of my local friends here... especially with the "Oofta!" at the end!

Pretty much how I feel too... especially about the cigarette! Why put up with other peoples' prejudices, and have to go outside, when I can please myself at home? Plus the local bar doesn't have my blackberry merlot...

Old 06-16-2011, 09:48 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post

Yes, I do live in Las Vegas and there's no buffet or restaurant here that caters to smokers, although, just a week ago, our legislature overturned the ban on smoking in restaurant/bars, outraging the American Heart Association and the other anti-smoking nazi organizations, as long as it's only adults over 21 that go there.

100 bars have closed in Nevada, any which had served food, since the ban. Anti-smokers claimed all along, falsely, that if you rid the places of smokers, the anti-smokers will fill their slots. Not true! Didn't work out that way!

Freedom has returned to Nevada! Now there'll be warning signs posted outside the establishments: Smoker Friendly or Smoker Unfriendly.

Last edited by tijlover; 06-16-2011 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-16-2011, 10:11 PM

This was TOTALLY uncalled for in this Thread. I REPEAT, this is not a Thread about smoking or anti-smoking. Keep to the subject!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Yes, I do live in Las Vegas and there's no buffet or restaurant here that caters to smokers, although, just a week ago, our legislature overturned the ban on smoking in restaurant/bars, outraging the American Heart Association and the other anti-smoking nazi organizations, as long as it's only adults over 21 that go there.

100 bars have closed in Nevada, any which had served food, since the ban. Anti-smokers claimed all along, falsely, that if you rid the places of smokers, the anti-smokers will fill their slots. Not true! Didn't work out that way!

Freedom has returned to Nevada! Now there'll be warning signs posted outside the establishments: Smoker Friendly or Smoker Unfriendly.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

You made the discussion about smoking, not we, LoveBoating; we merely mentioned it in passing and agreeing with each other about enjoying the comfort of our own homes and habits. But, since you want to start it...

And that's the way it should be, as I highlighted your quote in blue, tijlover. I don't tell anyone else how to live - even though I too, was in Emergency Medical Services, was a firefighter and an ER technician as well. I even taught classes for the American Lung Association, and I always used to walk/run booths in the Relay For Life, and designing luminarias for people. Still, how I live my life is no one's business - and how businesses run their businesses certainly isn't any government's.

Although my daughter and son live in Vegas and told me that I didn't have to worry if I visited - many businesses there paid no attention to the ban from the beginning, assuming that there weren't enough cops to haul everyone in front of a judge. However, the ban turnover only proves the point I made publicly several years ago - smokers spend money too; and if a boycott can shut a business down, a governmentally-enforced 'boycott' can do the same. One of my friends who owns several bars said he lost 60% of his business that first year, and has struggled ever since, even having to close one bar, because of the ban.

I don't particularly care to go into restaurants where people have their whining or screaming brats throwing food and smearing it on the seats and floors, whle the adults studiously ignore them; but no one has 'kid-friendly' or "non-kid-friendly" sections or restaurants (I know - I've asked). And far too many people seem to think that their children should be allowed EVERYwhere, no matter how they behave; we should be grateful that they are breeding. And heaven help you if their child dumps his drink over the back of your seat, and you with gritted teeth ask if they could make him sit down and stop bothering you - they get so offended. They, after all, have rights.

Seriously, why NOT give customers a choice, up front, as to which they will prefer - smoke-free, kid-free, booze-free, red-meat-free, or even overbearing senior citizen-free? And keep the government - any government - out of it?

Fortunately, the 'brat' problem isn't a problem out here; most children are respectful, a pleasure to be around, and don't bother grownups unless invited. Those few who aren't - management usually tells them or their parents to knock it off or get out. Which is quite refreshing!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:33 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
This was TOTALLY uncalled for in this Thread. I REPEAT, this is not a Thread about smoking or anti-smoking. Keep to the subject!!

Chill, dude. Sheesh!

The topic is How Often Do You Eat Out?

The other posters have given their reasons as to why or why not they eat in restaurants, such as "Yes, I do because I don't like to cook anymore' ... or "No, I don't because I consider it unhealthy."

Some people choose not to eat in restaurants because of smoking bans.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:13 AM

Ok, you're RIGHT about this......do I REALLY have to admit that I kept this going?
As for me, I do (well, sometimes, depending on how well I know the person I'm talking to) will judge/tell someone about themselves. People have told me, both to my face and to my back!
What I don't get is why ANYONE who has anything to do with healthcare would continue to smoke and act like it was ok. When working in Senior healthcare and seeing old Seniors, with breathing problems/asthma, sitting in a wheelchair, oxygen tank/with mask hanging from it on one side and on the other side the person holding/smoking a cigarette......I just don't get it!
We all want "freedoms", but when those "freedoms" affect others, health or mentally wise, someone has to step and and referee! Smoke-free, child-free, alcohol-free, noise-free, pet-free, on and on many folks want, but......
The government gets involved in these things, because SOMEBODY has to! It's pretty obvious that public can't control these things. We go to Golden Corral Buffet here about once a month and it totally shocks me at all of the heavy-to-obese people that eat there! We want to blame fast-food chains and restaurants on obesity, but nobody is making customers go to these places! Just shut them down and let people become obese at home. But, oh, what would that do to unemployment?? Will all of society ever be content in what they want or have to do......probably NEVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
You made the discussion about smoking, not we, LoveBoating; we merely mentioned it in passing and agreeing with each other about enjoying the comfort of our own homes and habits. But, since you want to start it...

And that's the way it should be, as I highlighted your quote in blue, tijlover. I don't tell anyone else how to live - even though I too, was in Emergency Medical Services, was a firefighter and an ER technician as well. I even taught classes for the American Lung Association, and I always used to walk/run booths in the Relay For Life, and designing luminarias for people. Still, how I live my life is no one's business - and how businesses run their businesses certainly isn't any government's.

Although my daughter and son live in Vegas and told me that I didn't have to worry if I visited - many businesses there paid no attention to the ban from the beginning, assuming that there weren't enough cops to haul everyone in front of a judge. However, the ban turnover only proves the point I made publicly several years ago - smokers spend money too; and if a boycott can shut a business down, a governmentally-enforced 'boycott' can do the same. One of my friends who owns several bars said he lost 60% of his business that first year, and has struggled ever since, even having to close one bar, because of the ban.

I don't particularly care to go into restaurants where people have their whining or screaming brats throwing food and smearing it on the seats and floors, whle the adults studiously ignore them; but no one has 'kid-friendly' or "non-kid-friendly" sections or restaurants (I know - I've asked). And far too many people seem to think that their children should be allowed EVERYwhere, no matter how they behave; we should be grateful that they are breeding. And heaven help you if their child dumps his drink over the back of your seat, and you with gritted teeth ask if they could make him sit down and stop bothering you - they get so offended. They, after all, have rights.

Seriously, why NOT give customers a choice, up front, as to which they will prefer - smoke-free, kid-free, booze-free, red-meat-free, or even overbearing senior citizen-free? And keep the government - any government - out of it?

Fortunately, the 'brat' problem isn't a problem out here; most children are respectful, a pleasure to be around, and don't bother grownups unless invited. Those few who aren't - management usually tells them or their parents to knock it off or get out. Which is quite refreshing!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 AM

What the heck are you talking about with the word "chill"??? When I see words like "prejudice" and "nazi" in a food Thread........yea, that gets me going! Neither of those words had to be included in this Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Chill, dude. Sheesh!

The topic is How Often Do You Eat Out?

The other posters have given their reasons as to why or why not they eat in restaurants, such as "Yes, I do because I don't like to cook anymore' ... or "No, I don't because I consider it unhealthy."

Some people choose not to eat in restaurants because of smoking bans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement