Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 9,538 times

Advertisements

I joined a retired teachers group whe I first retired, I'm even more active in it as years go on, but that's just a small part of being retired.
For me, every day is a Saturday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 04:29 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
If you have the money then you can live a lavishing lifestyle.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:30 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
That is true even if you are not retired!

Old 08-14-2011, 05:02 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Well, you can have money and live a lavish lifestyle and still be lonely and bored. I have very little money but I can find things to do or not depending upon how I feel on a given day.

Quote:
hated working because I never had time to do the things I love. I used to be at work worrying about my garden and not being there to water it. I used to miss my cat. I wanted to be able to buy groceries during the day, have time to cook real food and not be too tired out to eat. I wanted time to take day trips and to explore local history.
This + 1000

Quote:
....owning your own time....
That's what it's all about for me!

Old 08-14-2011, 07:10 PM

52 posts, read 89,887 times
After reading everyone's reply, it seems the simple solution is to get out there and find something to do, find your passion, help someone, get outside of yourself. Those that seem happy don't seem to have any problems keeping themselves busy.. Good luck everyone.. enjoy the rest of your life, be happy!

Old 08-15-2011, 12:24 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Even though I am in constant pain and have severe disabilities, I do enjoy what I can in this "retirement". I am in my sixties and I got ill in my forties and stopped working. Yea, I do get a little troubled but I just go on and I adapt because that is the way it is.

If you are healthy and retired and you have problems and complaints, what are you going to do when you get older and your health deteriorates? Preparing for retirement is also being prepared for the different stages of retirement. I do not have to worry about preparing for the worse stage of retirement because I have lived it for years.

I am never bored. Actually, I have more to do now, then when I worked. Perhaps it is because every task takes longer and is harder to do. Also, I have expanded my interests because I have the time that I need. Most importantly because I have simple needs, wants and desires--I have freedom from greed and envy. Also a simple life is very easy to maintain; I have as much money as I need and I live debt free in my own home.

Working has been so far in my past that it really does seem like a vanishing nightmare and a desire to work is not relevant. If you did nothing but work in your life and had no interests in other activities--that is really sad. Retirement is not a magic wand that will make you a whole person. Some of you have to work until you die--so do it and stop complaining.

I am alone and I live alone. I have been alone for so long that I can be alone without being lonely. I find that I do not enjoy or need continous contact with others--a little here and there is sufficient.

Livecontent

Old 08-15-2011, 01:09 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Not true. If you have money then people will kiss up you for companionship especially women. Look at Hugh Hefner.

How can you be bored with lot of money and time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well, you can have money and live a lavish lifestyle and still be lonely and bored. I have very little money but I can find things to do or not depending upon how I feel on a given day.

This + 1000

That's what it's all about for me!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:19 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
I'm one of those people who talk to myself when shopping, to small animals, and otherwise. You can't believe the amount of people I've had conversations with because of it. Sometimes I start them, sometimes they do, and they can last a very long time taking all sorts of directions. On one occasion at the beach a woman who could barely speak english started up with me, then another lady and her kids who were helping her walk came along and joined us, and then the first woman's whole family came over. There must have been 20 people in the end.

I find that if you're smiling and take the initiative all sorts of unlikely people enjoy conversing. It's very cathartic.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:05 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
You no longer have to work 8 hours a day, spend maybe 30-45 minutes to get ready for work and travel to work, maybe another 30 minutes for lunch at work (for which you were not paid for that 30 minutes) and maybe 30-45 to get off work, drive home and sit down for a few minutes to rest after arriving at home from work. That adds to 9.5 (or 10) hours, that you now have for other activities, if you worked 5 days a week. You are now, most likely not in contact with any of your co-workers. You have to fill in these extra hours. Aging cost me my activities, so I am in a trend similar to my father. Amuse myself at home waiting on death, with a few forced errands to run each week, maybe visit a relative. My older friends from the past have died, younger ones are not interested in becoming friends with me, I am not married, no kids. Retirement stinks, unless you can afford to live it up. My $1060 per month S.S. checks does not allow any of that.
Maybe your retirement income lets your live it up.
Moderator cut: rudeThere are many things you could do that are free. You could volunteer as a docent at a museum; you are on the computer, so you can obviously read - so join a book club, reading group, etc. Older friends have died? Make NEW friends. Moderator cut: rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanra View Post
Some people have it a little easier when they have a natural inclination or interest in church involvement. But many of us are not interested in church involvement or religion. I think churches are a great community resource for all kinds of involvement and meeting people - but unfortunately, if one does not have a interest in religion, it cuts off a natural and easy avenue of involvement.
OK, but that's just ONE street. Senior centers, food bank, retired business people's group, take a college class, find a knitters group, learn how to can, teach music, say hello in the supermarket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
Well, okay, I guess I will accept this: to these people I am invisible. I can't expect to be nodded at, said hello to, or recognized as a breathing living thing. OK, got that. Sad, but true I guess.
OP
Well hell's bells! Did you stop to think those people are feeling invisible to you? Did you nod at them, say hello, or recognize them? Sheesh, it's all about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I'm totally confused by your apparent belief that people should acknowledge your presence (nod) and speak (say hello) to you first. And if they don't - you think you are invisible to them. That is very strange... What's wrong with YOU being the one to say hello or nod to someone? Or do you think that ONLY OTHERS should do that, and not you?
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Not true. If you have money then people will kiss up you for companionship especially women. Look at Hugh Hefner.

How can you be bored with lot of money and time?
Moderator cut: rude Does it take money to walk in the park?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I'm one of those people who talk to myself when shopping, to small animals, and otherwise. You can't believe the amount of people I've had conversations with because of it. Sometimes I start them, sometimes they do, and they can last a very long time taking all sorts of directions. On one occasion at the beach a woman who could barely speak english started up with me, then another lady and her kids who were helping her walk came along and joined us, and then the first woman's whole family came over. There must have been 20 people in the end.

I find that if you're smiling and take the initiative all sorts of unlikely people enjoy conversing. It's very cathartic.
YES YES YES - and you're the kind of person I want as a friend. Imagine the trouble we could get into?!

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-15-2011 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 08-15-2011, 08:49 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Even though I am in constant pain and have severe disabilities, I do enjoy what I can in this "retirement". I am in my sixties and I got ill in my forties and stopped working. Yea, I do get a little troubled but I just go on and I adapt because that is the way it is.

If you are healthy and retired and you have problems and complaints, what are you going to do when you get older and your health deteriorates? Preparing for retirement is also being prepared for the different stages of retirement. I do not have to worry about preparing for the worse stage of retirement because I have lived it for years.

I am never bored. Actually, I have more to do now, then when I worked. Perhaps it is because every task takes longer and is harder to do. Also, I have expanded my interests because I have the time that I need. Most importantly because I have simple needs, wants and desires--I have freedom from greed and envy. Also a simple life is very easy to maintain; I have as much money as I need and I live debt free in my own home.

Working has been so far in my past that it really does seem like a vanishing nightmare and a desire to work is not relevant. If you did nothing but work in your life and had no interests in other activities--that is really sad. Retirement is not a magic wand that will make you a whole person. Some of you have to work until you die--so do it and stop complaining.

I am alone and I live alone. I have been alone for so long that I can be alone without being lonely. I find that I do not enjoy or need continous contact with others--a little here and there is sufficient.

Livecontent
I love your posts and agree, wholeheartedly! Yep, I'll probably have to work till I die...or darn close!...but I never complain. I LOVE my job and have fun doing it AND I make decent money. It's all good.

That last paragraph fits me to a T! I have spent my entire work life dealing with people and when I have my "alone time" I am happy to have it. I stay busy, never feel lonely or alone, and am quite happy in my own little world. Friends are great, and I probably could use one or two, but if I don't it's really no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement