Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:21 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,672,427 times

Advertisements

Allow me to clarify my snobby remark and add one thought.

Instead of mobile home....tar paper shack....run down place, etc. Some mobile homes are lovely.

I do not like the word segregated "per se" but if it means one cannot afford to live where I live....then I say move on along.....this I can agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 04:15 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,024,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Allow me to clarify my snobby remark and add one thought.

Instead of mobile home....tar paper shack....run down place, etc. Some mobile homes are lovely.

Yes, I'm sure that's what you meant to say.

I do not like the word segregated "per se" but if it means one cannot afford to live where I live....then I say move on along.....this I can agree with. Understood.
Actually, I was referring to 55+ communities.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:14 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
Maybe the experience of not fitting into a Del Webb community has a lot more to do with the place where the community is (wouldn't a lot of local people end up living there?) than the character of a Del Webb in itself. I mean, if a community is in a state or area of a state that is, say, politically conservative or rather religious, likely people from that area are going to be moving to their local Del Webb (this might surprise folks from the coasts who are just thinking about cheaper/weather etc.) I know I'd be uncomfortable in any place, Del Webb or any other, where people were actively conservative religious.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:27 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times
Smile Interesting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
This is a good idea for many. It made me think of an article I read about retirement communities being built on and near University Campus. Here is that article

Alumni Condos on Campus - New York Times

Since this article is a few years old, I am willing to bet there are many more of these campus retirement communities. Well, sure enough, here is newer information

College Linked Retirement Communities

Retirement Communities 101: Seniors Flock to College Towns - US News and World Report

It is good for those people who really do not want to leave; or want to return to the security and belonging of a University Communty. Of course, it would benefit these institutions because they can keep potential alumni donors close by and perhaps get more of their estates.

Livecontent
Since my husband wants to go to law school, this is something I must look into. I'm glad he wants to keep learning; his mom had Alzheimers and I think he is looking at keeping the old brain active. I love college towns actually.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:32 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwinds View Post
A family member lives in Anthem, AZ. I love the huge park with the lake and waterfall, the cute train that circles the park, the Outlet Center, the safe neighborhoods, the wonderful recreation facilities and the nice way the neighborhoods are laid out. However, I would not be happy in such a community because of the overbearing HOA. You get monthly fines if your backyard is not up to Del Webb specs. If the gravel by your trash cans on the side of your house is a few millimeters the wrong size, you will be fined until you have installed the correct sized gravel. I kid you not, some busybody got down on her/his hands and knees, reached under the wooden gate and grabbed a gravel sample and measured the rocks with a caliper. My relative was fined again until they replaced the newly installed gravel with the "correct" size. They laughed about it. I would have had a less favorable reaction! Monthly fine for non-landscaped backyard $150.00. Monthly fine for wrong sized gravel in trash can area, $75.00. Also, all plantings and landscaping must be pre-approved by the homeowners association.
This Anthem in N. Phoenix is not age restricted. The Anthem south of Phoenix, near Tucson has an age restricted area. Just to clarify.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:56 PM

3,985 posts, read 5,017,275 times
Thought I'd weigh in: my folks moved to Sun City-Indio in CA several years ago and they LOVE IT. Yes, there are restrictions for visitors but I think they like that "out" if they don't want visitors. They've met a lot of people that they really care for, they're involved in many of the activities and clubs, and while the houses may be "cookie cutter", they are very nice. I love how clean everything feels like.

I don't know if they have any negatives living there b/c they've only ever had positive things to say. I will say this: having money really helps. Now the parents argue that money isn't a factor. I argue that if they didn't have any, it would be a factor. They also talk about how everyone is generally happy with their lives. Hey, that's awesome. It actually amazes me when I hear of their or their neighbor's accomplishments...and they're how old, I'll say...

Age seems to be arbitrary in their world...woohoo!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Thought I'd weigh in: my folks moved to Sun City-Indio in CA several years ago and they LOVE IT. Yes, there are restrictions for visitors but I think they like that "out" if they don't want visitors. They've met a lot of people that they really care for, they're involved in many of the activities and clubs, and while the houses may be "cookie cutter", they are very nice. I love how clean everything feels like.

I don't know if they have any negatives living there b/c they've only ever had positive things to say. I will say this: having money really helps. Now the parents argue that money isn't a factor. I argue that if they didn't have any, it would be a factor. They also talk about how everyone is generally happy with their lives. Hey, that's awesome. It actually amazes me when I hear of their or their neighbor's accomplishments...and they're how old, I'll say...

Age seems to be arbitrary in their world...woohoo!
Good post. It supports the outlook we have. It's as much not where you live as your attitude.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:49 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,672,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Good post. It supports the outlook we have. It's as much not where you live as your attitude.
I agree.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:48 AM

42 posts, read 167,827 times
I want to thanks all of you for your comments, they are widely varied, but it shows how many opinions there are. This is why I love this site.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:26 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
I've been looking for Del Webb type communities that have been taken over by an HOA because I have noticed that housing prices are lower. You do want to investigate the HOA to be sure it's not run by Nazis. Sun City Anthem in Henderson, NV is no longer run by Del Webb,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement