U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2011, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Reputation: 15649

Advertisements

"In recent years the U.S. government has spent $2.6 million tax dollars to study the drinking habits of Chinese prostitutes and $400,000 tax dollars to pay researchers to cruise six bars in Buenos Aires, Argentina to find out why gay men engage in risky sexual behavior when drunk."

$2.6 Million Spent To Train Chinese Prostitutes To Drink Responsibly

The list goes on and on, no doubt.

Now let's cut Medicare for grandma and grandpa, as we're really out of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2011, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,517 posts, read 26,391,231 times
Reputation: 88542


The way our government spends makes me want to throw up or kill them all for their stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post


The way our government spends makes me want to throw up or kill them all for their stupidity.
It is not stupidity most likely. It is all politics, and there is always some gain for someone in each of these seemingly stupid moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,517 posts, read 26,391,231 times
Reputation: 88542
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It is not stupidity most likely. It is all politics, and there is always some gain for someone in each of these seemingly stupid moves.

True..there is always someone at the back door making money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 04:04 PM
 
4,919 posts, read 19,872,627 times
Reputation: 6215
Waste is part of governement. It's built into everything they do. Many parts of the economy depends on that waste factor for them to make money. If you eliminate the waste, you are really talking baout eliminating good american jobs and reducing the income that comes into the US economy. Cutting medicare does not in anyway equal having to say your eliminating american jobs. Cutting Medicare could also result in faster death rates of seniors which equals less benefits to pay out which equals less governement expenses. To a whole group of people, that's the best scenerio. truth is, waste has become so much part of governement that its now a program that politicians fight to preserve, even if that means a sad life for grams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Waste is part of governement. It's built into everything they do. Many parts of the economy depends on that waste factor for them to make money. If you eliminate the waste, you are really talking baout eliminating good american jobs and reducing the income that comes into the US economy. Cutting medicare does not in anyway equal having to say your eliminating american jobs. Cutting Medicare could also result in faster death rates of seniors which equals less benefits to pay out which equals less governement expenses....and thus less jobs. To a whole group of people, that's the best scenerio. truth is, waste has become so much part of governement that its now a program that politicians fight to preserve, even if that means a sad life for grams.
red, above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 06:00 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,522 posts, read 62,235,289 times
Reputation: 32222
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post

Cutting medicare does not in anyway equal having to say your eliminating american jobs. Cutting Medicare could also result in faster death rates of seniors which equals less benefits to pay out which equals less governement expenses.
Because no one wants to make (or accept) the tougher call of focusing those clearly needed cuts
on specifics within the broad rubric "standards of care"... we'll end up with far broader cuts across the board.

The net end result will probably be worse that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,133 posts, read 20,833,904 times
Reputation: 8293
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
"In recent years the U.S. government has spent $2.6 million tax dollars to study the drinking habits of Chinese prostitutes and $400,000 tax dollars to pay researchers to cruise six bars in Buenos Aires, Argentina to find out why gay men engage in risky sexual behavior when drunk."

$2.6 Million Spent To Train Chinese Prostitutes To Drink Responsibly

The list goes on and on, no doubt.

Now let's cut Medicare for grandma and grandpa, as we're really out of money.
"In recent years" = 2007
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 06:41 AM
 
2,601 posts, read 5,298,864 times
Reputation: 5205
Let me restate the original poster's comment. The government has been known to spend tiny amounts of money on the scale of the federal budget on things that can be made to sound silly. That's not a basis for...drawing any conclusions at all, about government or public policy, or even about the merits of the particular tiny program at issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 07:31 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Let me restate the original poster's comment. The government has been known to spend tiny amounts of money on the scale of the federal budget on things that can be made to sound silly. That's not a basis for...drawing any conclusions at all, about government or public policy, or even about the merits of the particular tiny program at issue.
Oh really? It isn't the basis for calling into account the ridiculous programs that have created not only generational poverty but also a "gimme" entitlement attitude amongst those who have figured out how to game "the system?"

Bureaucracies are wasteful. Period. That is a known fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top