Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 10:11 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,578 times

Advertisements

Glad to read that you convinced your SD (what were you thinking? ) to stay. This will, obviously, be better for the boys and likely better for her too as this will keep her focus on getting a job and back on her feet rather than saving for a return to a place where she couldn't keep her head above water.

As to the pregnant GD, good luck there. Sometimes a baby can turn a girl turn into a grown-up in no time. Other times, it is just the beginning of a life of drama.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:43 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,831 times
Golly---I miss one lousy day reading this thread and all h--- breaks loose! Lol!

Hope it's going a bit better for you all. What a tough situation for all concerned. I commend you, Curm, for all you and your wife are doing. Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot more grandparents involved in raising their grandkids these days, in some way or the other. I have a close friend who has taken in her grandaughter (for last 6 years) who is 10 and last year her daughter, the girl's Mom, returned "home" to live with them, too, after ruining her health and almost dying due to drug use. sad situation. hard for all involved. I try to be supportive, and offer a shoulder for any of them---but just don't know how they have the strength to keep going. in their case, it seems to go from bad to worse.

good luck, God speed!

Old 01-02-2012, 05:14 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
Pretty much doing the same, as the middle granddaughters have moved in from NYC. They lost their jobs in advertising, when AIG went for the handouts. I'm glad they are here - they can look after me and their grandmom when we get geriatric.
That's your wish for your granddaughters - to become unpaid caretakers for their grandparents? Or maybe you have a bunch of money and intend to pay them? Do you feel the same about your grandsons (assuming you have grandsons)? Robyn

Old 01-02-2012, 05:31 PM

324 posts, read 714,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That's your wish for your granddaughters - to become unpaid caretakers for their grandparents? Or maybe you have a bunch of money and intend to pay them? Do you feel the same about your grandsons (assuming you have grandsons)? Robyn
It's every grandparents dream! Pay them - for what? Yes, we have grandson's and we paid for their university educations when their parents couldn't. You don't get a full pass, when you can't play bb

Old 01-02-2012, 06:17 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
Pretty much doing the same, as the middle granddaughters have moved in from NYC. They lost their jobs in advertising, when AIG went for the handouts. I'm glad they are here - they can look after me and their grandmom when we get geriatric.
Good luck on that one.

Friend's parents helped several of their kids out when they needed it -- gave them property, cars, money, etc.

But guess who ended up taking care of them when they needed it? The kid who took off and built her own life.

Though it it good you are glad she is there with you. Enjoy the good times but don't count on her returning the favor.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:36 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Default Culture Shock!

School days. The boys have a lot of adjusting to do. There was a time when California had a top-level public education system. Now it's near the bottom of the barrel. The schools no longer teach. Rather, they train to the test - you know, that No Child Left thing that brings in all that lovely federal money to continue the inflated salaries and benefits for the school administrators who likely outnumber classroom teachers.

The boys came from urban schools in CA with classes numbering in the 30s using "team learning" approaches even in the very primary grades. Uh oh! Now they're in a very rural school system with classes ranging in size from 15-17 which allows for one-on-one teaching as needed and they're individually responsible for their own results and grades rather than having success or failure "filtered" through a peer team concept. In other words, the education is provided. They are the ones who have to learn.

They're actually being taught, not trained. What a concept. But it does make for confusion up front considering from whence they came. It's amazing to see them come from a progressive system once highly touted to a country school system and be well behind the learning curve compared to their classmates. But they're bright boys and will catch up. Beginning this year they'll even learn something.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 01-05-2012 at 06:29 AM..

Old 01-05-2012, 08:16 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
School days. The boys have a lot of adjusting to do. There was a time when California had a top-level public education system. Now it's near the bottom of the barrel. The schools no longer teach. Rather, they train to the test - you know, that No Child Left thing that brings in all that lovely federal money to continue the inflated salaries and benefits for the school administrators who likely outnumber classroom teachers.

The boys came from urban schools in CA with classes numbering in the 30s using "team learning" approaches even in the very primary grades. Uh oh! Now they're in a very rural school system with classes ranging in size from 15-17 which allows for one-on-one teaching as needed and they're individually responsible for their own results and grades rather than having success or failure "filtered" through a peer team concept. In other words, the education is provided. They are the ones who have to learn.

They're actually being taught, not trained. What a concept. But it does make for confusion up front considering from whence they came. It's amazing to see them come from a progressive system once highly touted to a country school system and be well behind the learning curve compared to their classmates. But they're bright boys and will catch up. Beginning this year they'll even learn something.
This is so interesting. And the kind of learning they're doing in school can easily be supplemented in a fun way by the adults in the house. How are they teaching reading there--phonetics? How about math?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 AM

Reading is phonetic. As for math, dunno. My wife and their mother are handling the homework issues. I'm just the peacekeeper here. That's the way I like it.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:48 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Phonics is the best. Small classrooms also a huge advantage. My son, for the most part, was always in private schools. He started in Montessori when he was three. His father and I were big readers. Sesame Street at the time was pushing the ABCs phonetically, as well, so there was tons of reinforcement on TV. Son started reading at 3-1/2 and just ran with it. He has a wonderful command of the English language. And - he can spell, too. We've communicated via email for years - I've yet to find a misspelled word.

If you get PBS and can have the boys watch Sesame Street, it will pay dividends.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Phonics is the best. Small classrooms also a huge advantage. My son, for the most part, was always in private schools. He started in Montessori when he was three. His father and I were big readers. Sesame Street at the time was pushing the ABCs phonetically, as well, so there was tons of reinforcement on TV. Son started reading at 3-1/2 and just ran with it. He has a wonderful command of the English language. And - he can spell, too. We've communicated via email for years - I've yet to find a misspelled word.

If you get PBS and can have the boys watch Sesame Street, it will pay dividends.
Believe it or not, Big Bird DOES come to the Aux Arcs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement