Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 08:42 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I too think you're doing great, but I have one question. Why have you chosen to eat dinner separately from them? Perhaps you have good reasons, but I would have thought that eating the evening meal together as a family would have been a positive thing.
I think I alreaqdy covered that but simplistically, their diet is far different from ours and while they "need" to be fed at a reasonably early hour, we have our evening meal rather late. Cooking two entirely different meals at the same time in one kitchen would be problematic. So, too, would be an early dinner time for us.

The other part of the equation is that our dinner time is an opportunity to have some space, peace and quiet and privacy; all of which are somewhat lacking during most of the day.

Common meal times were the rule, not the exception, when my wife and I were raising our respective children. The boy's mother generally eats with them.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:02 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think I alreaqdy covered that but simplistically, their diet is far different from ours and while they "need" to be fed at a reasonably early hour, we have our evening meal rather late. Cooking two entirely different meals at the same time in one kitchen would be problematic. So, too, would be an early dinner time for us.

The other part of the equation is that our dinner time is an opportunity to have some space, peace and quiet and privacy; all of which are somewhat lacking during most of the day.

Common meal times were the rule, not the exception, when my wife and I were raising our respective children. The boy's mother generally eats with them.
Well, we agree on that point. Nothing quite so off-putting as watching children with a mouth full of half-eaten food yammering about nothing in particular. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, we agree on that point. Nothing quite so off-putting as watching children with a mouth full of half-eaten food yammering about nothing in particular. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Agreed but that was never a problem with my children. They were taught proper dining etiquette beginning at an early and appropriate age.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:17 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Cowboys gives me a flashback. I worked my way through my first few years of college on a 150,000 acre cattle ranch as a ranch hand aka: cowboy. Loved it!

Can't use real arrows, huh?
My husband worked his way through school as a bartender during the school year and as a worker on a Ford Motor Company assembly line in the summer (he was a member of the UAW). I somehow can't see my husband on a horse being a cowboy - but I reckon what you did was a lot more fun that what he was doing. I used to ride when I was younger - but I wasn't very good. After about my third concussion after being thrown off a horse - I gave up. The last time I was on a horse was when we went to the Pyramids in Egypt about 20 years ago - and almost landed on my head again

When we get up to your part of the world - and it is a question of when - not if - because of the new Crystal Bridges Art Museum in Bentonville Arkansas - I will encourage my husband to tell you the story of the 3 Al's who worked on the assembly line with him. It's a really fun story.

I have to give you an A+ for how you've handled this unexpected and difficult event in your life. Walking the narrow line between setting down reasonable rules - and being a stuck in the mud tyrant (it's my way or the highway).

May 2012 be a very happy and healthy year for you and family . Robyn

P.S. For those of you who care to have traditional New Year's fare in the south - collards and Hoppin' John (for health and good luck) - I have some simple recipes I'd be delighted to share.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:46 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

P.S. For those of you who care to have traditional New Year's fare in the south - collards and Hoppin' John (for health and good luck) - I have some simple recipes I'd be delighted to share.
Please do share the recipes. I love collards (shredded and steamed with real butter) but don't know what hoppin' john is---cornmeal?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:58 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
Hoppin' John: black-eyed peas and rice cooked with bacon or ham hock. In the South, New Year is not New Year without Hoppin' John. It's THE lucky dish.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 12-29-2011 at 06:07 PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
My husband worked his way through school as a bartender during the school year and as a worker on a Ford Motor Company assembly line in the summer (he was a member of the UAW). I somehow can't see my husband on a horse being a cowboy - but I reckon what you did was a lot more fun that what he was doing. I used to ride when I was younger - but I wasn't very good. After about my third concussion after being thrown off a horse - I gave up. The last time I was on a horse was when we went to the Pyramids in Egypt about 20 years ago - and almost landed on my head again

When we get up to your part of the world - and it is a question of when - not if - because of the new Crystal Bridges Art Museum in Bentonville Arkansas - I will encourage my husband to tell you the story of the 3 Al's who worked on the assembly line with him. It's a really fun story.

I have to give you an A+ for how you've handled this unexpected and difficult event in your life. Walking the narrow line between setting down reasonable rules - and being a stuck in the mud tyrant (it's my way or the highway).

When, not if, sounds good. If you or your husband have any interest, whatsoever, in guns, especially from an historical perspective, there's another museum/private collection in NW Arkansas that includes such treasures as guns used by Jesse and Frank James, Belle Starr, Cole Younger, Billy the Kid, Wild Bill Hickok, Buffalo Bill Cody, and other "wonders like an original Bowie knife, Geronimo's scalp belt (complete with scalps), the war bonnet worn by Chief Sitting Bull when he put Custer in his [final] place, Clyde Barrow's hat and much, much more.

Hoppin' John's alway on our menu this time of year. My wife's mother was a native Ozarker.

We're only a bit over 70 miles from Bentonville but here in the hill country that translates to about an hour and 45 minutes on our narrow, windy country roads.

Thanks for the grade, Robyn. Blessings on your house for the coming year!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:48 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times

Or

collards = money

black eyed peas = luck

hog jowls = health

Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Hey Curm
I'm a nut for anything Old West, where would this museum you speak of be?
Do you have any idea how the US Marshall Museum in Fort Smith is coming along?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:58 AM

It's in Berryville, AR, not very far from where we live.

Berryville, AR Saunders Museum

Can't help ya with the other one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement