Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:07 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
1) Be very careful who you marry. This will set the tone for your whole adult life
But not TOO careful. I know a lot of 47 year olds who are looking for love in all the wrong places. Pick a decent human being whom you find attractive and interesting and try to make a go of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 02:51 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,418,234 times
It would not have made a difference one way or another. When I was 20 I already knew everything that there was to know. I didn't find out that I was wrong until I married my third wife when I was 67 years old.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:58 AM

6,587 posts, read 7,094,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
It would not have made a difference one way or another. When I was 20 I already knew everything that there was to know. I didn't find out that I was wrong until I married my third wife when I was 67 years old.

No truer words could have been spoken. In that I mean at 20 I knew everything. At 25 I started to settle down. At 30 I began to understand the value of a dollar. At 35 I began to save and invest at a low enough rate to enjoy life then and in hopes that I could enjoy life in the future if I survived. Now at 56 I think there will be a very happy boyfriend with my wife.

(No not a divorce same woman going on 34 years)

Old 12-20-2013, 06:07 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
But not TOO careful. I know a lot of 47 year olds who are looking for love in all the wrong places. Pick a decent human being whom you find attractive and interesting and try to make a go of it!
Not for all of us, especially us romantic types. It's harder to get out than get in !

Old 12-20-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
No truer words could have been spoken. In that I mean at 20 I knew everything. At 25 I started to settle down. At 30 I began to understand the value of a dollar. At 35 I began to save and invest at a low enough rate to enjoy life then and in hopes that I could enjoy life in the future if I survived. Now at 56 I think there will be a very happy boyfriend with my wife.

(No not a divorce same woman going on 34 years)
Marriage should be illegal after 50, There is NO reason to get married, just live together, and keep everything separate !

Old 12-21-2013, 09:06 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Not for all of us, especially us romantic types. It's harder to get out than get in !
I'm also have a very strong romantic type, but nobody's perfect. If I waited to marry somebody I thought was perfect, I'd have a long wait. I'm very happy with the choice I made 33 years ago.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I'm also have a very strong romantic type, but nobody's perfect. If I waited to marry somebody I thought was perfect, I'd have a long wait. I'm very happy with the choice I made 33 years ago.
Got you beat , 36 years. I should have left 10 years ago , that's when the music stopped. And it's for the most part that people change as they age , not always for the better. I don' regret the first 30 years at all.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:49 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,685,432 times
When I was 20, I was totally clueless. My parents never pressured me to do anything in particular, and I never really got too much in the way of advice about life. Maybe that's unusual? Anyway, I was in college at the time, but I had no idea why I was there. Eventually, I matured a bit, and things worked out okay.

No amount of advice would have made any difference to me at age 20. I already knew everything! LOL

Old 12-22-2013, 05:26 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
I wished someone taught me how to balance work w/ life. During my entire professional career, I seemed to have my blinders on regarding work and investing for retirement without taking the time to enjoy life as much as I should - I don't think I enjoyed the journey like I should have.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I wished someone taught me how to balance work w/ life. During my entire professional career, I seemed to have my blinders on regarding work and investing for retirement without taking the time to enjoy life as much as I should - I don't think I enjoyed the journey like I should have.
You describe what a lot of people wish had happen. I see it most with the kids right out of Colledge who get scooped up by the Corporate community . The goals become corporate lifestyles for the next 25 to 30 years. I have friends that took this road , compared to me who took the road less traveled. The adventure, the exotic , the being your own boss and the independce that brings seems to be missing when you lead such a structured life. Many of my friends envied me and the seat of the pants existence I lead. There was a lot I did that many of my corporate friends will never see or do. Some after retirement , some they become too old to accomplish .I on the other hand have less savings, no pension, options , ....I did it all when I could at a younger age when one could enjoy it most.......there are two sides to life. The ideal maybe to combine the two, yet the mind set would never let that happen, it's like water and oil, they don't mix !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement