Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 06:29 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times

Advertisements

What I was told and read stayed with me.
Life Philosophy- Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life.
Reading- Everything I need to learn I learn in Kindergarden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 08:45 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
I mentioned this in another thread.

Most 20 year olds could care less about family history, genealogy, and the stories of your parents and grandparents.

Why not ask your older relatives about these things now, before they are gone?! Someday these things might be important to you - as I learned the hard way.

Listen carefully to your elders. Ask questions. Be an amateur historian and try to reconstruct their lives. You will learn things about yourself through this exercise. It will bring you closer to your parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents. You will learn where you came from.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Age 20 is a bit too young these days to be offering advice to. Responsibilities, financial maturity were far different decades ago.
Today's 30 is yesterday's 20. Cripes... health benefits to age 27 will keep parents busy WORKING much longer. Our home... Financially independent (and apprenticed) at age 12; OUT by age 18 or sooner. (probably not the NORM...)

(I was a caregiver for a parent by age 20 and had $x,xxx,xxx worth of accts to be settling in 7 businesses + life and death decisions care decisions.

Today (this week) I am learning a lot about healthcare and health needs / limitations in retirement / Post age 60.

STUFF happens and can happen seriously and fast. Stuff you had HOPED to do at age 60 - 70 - 80, may not be possible, EVER!

LIVE life early, Don't wait till your ship comes in, or till 'older' or 'retirement'.

Do it NOW (within reason).

I would retire while kids are home, and go back to work (if you must) when they leave home. (I was a homeschooler, and we took LOTS of 6-12wk vacations, as well as living and doing business in Europe, Asia, Canada (islands) and USA.

Lots of FUN and learning between age 20 and 60.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:37 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
It's never too young. Play with this calculator.

Compound Interest Calculator

Current Principle: $2000
Annual Addition: $2000
Years to grow: 40
Interest Rate: 8%
Compound Interest:1

Again. Learn about the power of compound interest.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:46 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Invest in Apple, Kuwait Dinar, Blackbox, Oil companies, ect..

Old 12-02-2013, 09:53 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
An' that ye harm none, do what ye will.

Live you must and let to live, fairly take and fairly give.

(I'm not Wiccan but I'm a fan of their code of morality.)

Old 12-02-2013, 10:15 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,798,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjken View Post
Stay in school, the longer the better.
Do everything in moderation.
Guy should not get married before 30, 32 is better.
Girls should not tie the knot until maybe 25.
Do not try and keep up with the Jones.
Bigger in NOT always better.
The decisions you make today could effect your entire life.
Live your life for you, not the job.
If you have more than two credit cards balances you may have a problem.
Buy a house, rent is for suckers.
Be happy.
Help those who need it when you can.
Friends are over rated, do not lend them money.
Don't live in the past, if you screw up learn from it and move on.

I remember my father telling my brother and myself most of these when we were young and stupid. Looking back I did pretty well, I'm happy.
So, um, how's a guy supposed to be happy if he gets married?!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:29 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times
Smile Advice

(1) It's what you know but also who you know. Savor those introductions that your parents or other make for you.

(2) Stay in school and get that degree.

(3) Don't feel you have to do everything yourself. Accept a hand here or there.

(4) Friendships are important. Treat them well. If they do not treat you well, red flag.

(5) Get married to your best friend - someone who shares some same interests. Then, when the sparks don't fly in 30 seconds, you will have your best friend.

(6) Beware of posting private stuff on social media. That could come back to haunt you.

(7) Don't put someone else's life in danger (driving drunk, etc)

(8) Faith is important to have in your life. Don't discount this. You will need it.

(9) Sleep on any big decisions. Also, pray about them.

You will be fine and lead a happy life!

Old 12-04-2013, 08:30 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
(1) It's what you know but also who you know. Savor those introductions that your parents or other make for you.

(3) Don't feel you have to do everything yourself. Accept a hand here or there.

--from Bette (above) No one every told me much of anything and I wish they had. They just said go to college and get a job.

But yes for #1. It's NOT all about what you know and how many degrees you have, it is also WHO you know. Those connections. Networking. That is really important.

#3. Let other people help you. Don't think you have to prove to the world that you can do everything on your own. Later on you'll find out that other people had HELP. (Maybe that doesn't apply to the current younger generation who seem to live in their parents' home--our generation was OUT--- ASAP.)

Old 12-04-2013, 08:31 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
In whatever realm of life it may be.....

Also, if you could have a vision of what a perfect (but reasonable) world looks like, what would it be? (just curious as to what kind of attitude/desires/beliefs you wish your fellow travelers among humanity would mostly adopt, regardless of whether it will happen or not).

-avantgarde
20yr old male realizing that Murphy's Law isn't a joke, and I now realize how alone everyone really is in this world, but this isn't a sympathy-seeking question and I'd appreciate some authentic responses

Honestly nothing.
I do better in real life learning things the hard way on my own and not being told what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement