Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times

Advertisements

The one thing all you folks have not addressed is the difference in people. Are you a type A or B ? What is your creative interests and skills, your mental capacity( some are gifted). Its these things that will influence your path through life. All this mumbo jombo talk I here on these threads may or may not work for that 20 year old, or that 60 year old as well. We all like to toot our horn from time to time, even more so we we are retired it seems.
My observations seem to follow right in line with ones ability to be creative, and , these days takes money. Are you supposed to just stop at retirement ? I do not think so. I have tried it and have been very unhappy the last 6 years that I have been retired. It all revolves around money, the lack there of.When I was working full time, I came up with ideas, projects, experiences, ...things I wanted to do. it took money and time. It was not all that difficult, I just worked harder, longer, and than I could spend more. simple. You can not take these inherent things away from anyone, and not all of us are that sharp to turn straw into gold ether..... We are what we are, nothing ever changes, things just get magnified as we go through life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 09:31 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,968 times
I would have spent a one half a day a month thinking about what was going on in the world, markets, inventions,social changes, cultures and educations. Then I would spend the remainder of the day thinking about how these trends, inventions,etc. would change our lives and create financial opportunities for those interested. Occasionally I did stop work and look up at others in the community. All seemed to be focused on the task at hand. Little focus or view into the next day.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I would say something that my father told me and has stood me well. There are two ways to learn ;the hardway by making mistakes or the easy way by listening to other that have lived longer maybe making the mistake. Even then you will make mistakes but move on to solving the problem created knowing that some mistakes are just part of life.I basically found that setting goals in life is important altho life can throw some things in the way.Most can be overcome;others you have no control over.You solve them best you can.Do not underestimate the value of making true friends; good family in both your life and theirs.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:26 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,921 times
Good question!

The challenge is, would I have listened to my older self. At 20 years old, I would not have listened and I am pretty confident that I would have said "calm down old man, you worry too much." With that said, I would not say anything. I am very stubborn and was even more stubborn than today's version.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:29 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,921 times
Default No wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Never marry ... I'm too much of a loner! Of course, I'm not married now, and that's a good thing.
And I can see why...your a dog!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:49 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,362 times
If I could go back to the 1960s and 1970s and give the advice, I'd say "Look at the reasonable, practical, responsible, admirable thing to do for a living--then realize if you follow that path you'll have both NO quality of life, AND no financial security."

Old 02-18-2012, 05:06 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,281,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
And I can see why...your a dog!
That's so funny but to keep it grammatically correct, it's, "You're a dog."

Old 02-18-2012, 11:08 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,819,190 times
My husband and I both had Depression era parents who pounded into us to get an education, get a job, and save and don't buy it unless you have cash. We pretty much stuck to it. It worked for us.

I wish we had been told to be less serious at a younger age... and to have more time for ourselves every once in a while.

But, basically, the advice we got worked and in our late 40s, we told our daughters (now 34 and 32) to :
-finish their education
-get a job
-start saving whatever they could and not spend all their money
-that we were not the ATM machine
and
-to enjoy life, based on what it handed them and make time for themselves when they could

One did and has her house & car (both paid for) and a good job and great friends and lots of fun with minimal monetary outlay due to her common sense decision to enjoy things which don't cost and arm and a leg.... but the other has strayed from that common sense mold in which she was raised and is always broke (evidently, she just tuned into the "enjoy life" part). She has multiple jobs, no savings, nothing owned, (and the same education as her sister). But .....she has fun, fun, fun....

At 20, you aren't neccesarily going to LISTEN to what anyone tells you. So, down the road, if you regret that you didn't listen, figure out not WHAT you should have listened to but WHY you didn't.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:21 PM

6 posts, read 6,928 times
I was given this advice at about 22, and I will always remember it because it changed the way I treated people - keep people that love you close to you- even if they live far away - even if they annoy you sometimes - keep them close because you won't find that many people that truly love and care for you throughout your life. Keep that in mind. I'm grateful I realized this at a young age because I did make more of an effort to keep people in my life, especially older people who I didn't think were cool in my twenties. Some of these connections have gotten me jobs or helped me when I've been in difficult situations.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:53 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
OMG You're a baby. Go out there act crazy. Do age appropriate things lest you regret missing that stage when you're old and it's to late. You can't avoid mistakes and only you can live your life. Just try to think about what you're doing and the consequences involved, and remember you do have two heads thinking for you at that age. Try to listen to the smarter one! Life is a wonderful adventure. Go live it to the fullest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement