Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:38 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times

Advertisements

1) Be very careful who you marry. This will set the tone for your whole adult life

2) Always have a savings account with money in it for emergencies. And needing new shoes or an new Iphone is NOT an emergency.

3) Surround yourself with positive people who will encourage and support you and return the favour. You will have friends that last a lifetime.

4) Try to remember that life is short so set out to have adventures and enjoy the journey.

I'm sure I was told some of these things, I just wish I had of listened.

Last edited by Djuna; 02-07-2012 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 03:44 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Get a job that provides a pension and save as much as you can for retirement!

Old 02-07-2012, 04:06 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Nothing.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:22 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,103,294 times
Great question but there isn't enough room here to express it all. For certain I sure wish someone had told me about the power and glory of a sawz-all and a pressure cooker!!!! Also, I wish someone had somehow convinced me NOT to tan - it's costing a fortune to undo all that sun damage to my skin. And hey, someone else should have told me to NOT go to New Mexico - there had to be a better and warmer place on this earth.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:38 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
My advice would be to live a life of reasonable moderation.

I'd advise someone 20 years old to reasonably enjoy their current lives, and not overly plan for the future. However I'd also recommend that they save at least 5% of their take home pay, especially if they have a matching employer contribution, and get comfortable with taking some financial risk.

Below that 5% savings amount, I'd say go enjoy yourself as long as you don't do behavior that may be hurtful of others, be personally responsible and don't accumulate any long term or credit card debt.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:28 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,811,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
1) Be very careful who you marry. This will set the tone for your whole adult life

2) Always have a savings account with money in it for emergencies. And needing new shoes or an new Iphone is NOT an emergency.

3) Surround yourself with positive people who will encourage and support you and return the favour. You will have friends that last a lifetime.

4) Try to remember that life is short so set out to have adventures and enjoy the journey.

I'm sure I was told some of these things, I just wish I had of listened.

Everyone gave excellent advice, but if you only follow number one above, you will have a much better life. Everything else is really secondary and will fall in place if you choose to marry and marry the right person.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Default What advice do you give your kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
In whatever realm of life it may be.....

Also, if you could have a vision of what a perfect (but reasonable) world looks like, what would it be? (just curious as to what kind of attitude/desires/beliefs you wish your fellow travelers among humanity would mostly adopt, regardless of whether it will happen or not).

-avantgarde
20yr old male realizing that Murphy's Law isn't a joke, and I now realize how alone everyone really is in this world, but this isn't a sympathy-seeking question and I'd appreciate some authentic responses

The real answer is probably not found in what one impulsively writes on a forum, but, in the advice one gives their grown 'kids'

Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
No matter what someone told me when I was 20, I probably wouldn't have listened carefully, or considered it relevant. That's been true throughout the generations. You learn life by living it. There are no short-cuts.
That's what I was thinking. In the movie "A Passage to India", someone says to a wise old Hindu professor, "Why didn't you tell me that?" His answer: "You can't tell someone anything until he is ready to hear it".

Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Everyone told me to--

Get a job with insurance and pension
Save
Buy a house early
Get life insurance when it's cheap
New cars have warranties
Education is wasted on the masses

I ignored all the advice, except the education, left home at 21 on a loaded bicycle and have continued to have one adventure after another ever since.

So I guess I wish someone would have told me it is OK to be true to yourself and live outside the box. I might of had less anxiety about this whole thing called life..

So my missing advice would have been--

Work when you are hungry
Smile when you are sad
Sleep when you are tired
Play when you have time
Love often
Cry when it hurts (or when very happy!)
Hug when you are lonely
Dream when you are stressed
Hope when you are betrayed
And most of all--Give a hand up those who struggle

Old 02-07-2012, 07:44 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Not to be so hung up on being older, . I should not have got married at 20, not a child.....I missed out on a lot of things, it was tough, paying child support and all the material things I gave up.... It was not until I was 30 that things turned around, I started living what I has missed......only with money ! My social life became an overload, sure was a lot of fun living in a singles comples! I finally found myself after all those miserable years. Moral here, is stay single ,at lest to about 33.
T b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement