Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,253,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
1) Be very careful who you marry. This will set the tone for your whole adult life

2) Always have a savings account with money in it for emergencies. And needing new shoes or an new Iphone is NOT an emergency.

3) Surround yourself with positive people who will encourage and support you and return the favour. You will have friends that last a lifetime.

4) Try to remember that life is short so set out to have adventures and enjoy the journey.

I'm sure I was told some of these things, I just wish I had of listened.
Excellent post! I agree with all of your 4 points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
It wouldn't have mattered what they told me at that age.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 PM

127 posts, read 200,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
It wouldn't have mattered what they told me at that age.
Why don't you have hope that to the OP it does matter? It's his thread, after all....

I'm the same age as the OP, so I was also looking forward to "learning from the mistakes of other men", as all wise men would do

Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Wonderful thread. Very thought provoking answers. I realize that I did most of what many of you wrote, but I think my answers would be different. I guess we all think someone else did it better.

If I could go back to 20 years old I think I would worry less about the future and live every minute for what it is to you--the present. You can't change the past and you have no way of knowing what is going to happen in the future. Look for the good in each day and if it is not a good day, do what you can to make it a good day for you and those that live around you. Be thankful for everything that happens to you; even the difficult things because they are happening to get you ready for what is coming in your future. In all things give thanks.

And live, laugh, love!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
Get a government job with guaranteed pension and lifetime healthcare benefits. But 30 years ago, no one would have believed that the private sector would decline as bad as it has.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:56 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,135,358 times
Wish someone had told me to buy and hold Gold and Apple stock.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
1) Be very careful who you marry. This will set the tone for your whole adult life

2) Always have a savings account with money in it for emergencies. And needing new shoes or an new Iphone is NOT an emergency.

3) Surround yourself with positive people who will encourage and support you and return the favour. You will have friends that last a lifetime.

4) Try to remember that life is short so set out to have adventures and enjoy the journey.

I'm sure I was told some of these things, I just wish I had of listened.
Very good advice, I am on my third marriage,and still not got it right,now I am too old to do anything about it...... The moral to this story is keep your money ,business, sepperate, at lest part of it. You will never know when they will turn on you!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:15 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
I like the one about surrounding yourself with positive people. Also, intelligent people. That doesn't necessarily mean book smart, it means surround yourself with people who use their brains to figure out problems. It will keep your brain sharp, and you'll pick up plenty of common sense and solutions to life's problems without even trying.

--When you have empty times in your life, fill them by learning basic skills. Learn to cook a few simple things. Learn how to do a few basic repairs. It keeps you from doing something dumb you'll later regret, and later when life gets busy again a situation will arise where you'll be glad you learned that skill.

--Don't bother trying to predict how you will feel when you are 60-70-80-90. People love to do that when they're 20 but it's pointless. Accept the fact that you will continue changing as you grow, and some of the changes you make may surprise you. In addition, you really can't understand how it feels to have an aging body until you go through it.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,379,330 times
Choose a healthier life style, get in the habit of enough exercise and try to avoid injuring or abusing your knees.

I worked in a high noise environment and didn't use ear protection often enough. Now I have tinnitus - ringing in both ears - and if I live to be 100 I will NEVER again enjoy so much at 10 seconds of complete silence even though I now live in a quiet rural area.

See if you can manage to live on 90% of your take home pay most of the time and sock the rest away for the future. If saving 10% is too hard right now try 5% and work your way up.

Cultivate friendships with people who make you laugh - a lot.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 AM

698 posts, read 1,052,143 times
i don't think there is a point in your imagining what life might be like for you when you reach "retirement age", because 40-50 years from now retirement and aging will look entirely differently than it looks now,

when i was in my twenties, 45 years ago, seventy was considered to be fairly old and reaching 80 was an achievement. people who lived to retire, usually at 65, perhaps lived ten or twelve years. moving to florida in retirement, with endless golf and tennis, was a goal for many who could afford it. today there are retirement communities, assisted living, over 55 communities, and many people work well beyond traditional retirement age, since longevity has been extended.

so, who knows what it may look like when you reach retirement, if there is such a thing then?

catsy girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement