Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

Glad you guys are ok, Robin. Re: Memorial Day, we went to Rolling Thunder yesterday. It's one of my favorite things about living in the DC area--other places I've lived are more like the cartoon, but DC does have some good events to honor the vets. Anyway, Rolling Thunder always brings a tear no matter how many times I've been. Veterans ride in from all over the country, parade around the mall, and honor all the war monuments as well as Arlington Cemetary. We're talking thousands and thousands of Harleys. Very powerful to see (and to hear! They don't call it Rolling Thunder for nothing.)

I know several people on this forum have served in one way or the other. Thanks for that, we are truly in your debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 11:17 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
just to say your funeral home director is the single best source for info on VA burial benefits and they are tied in with the VA to make it happen.

The VA has all the info on its website and as you separate and are given your 214 you are also given info (albeit brief).

I almost signed the papers to be buried in the VA ceremony near my home for the reasons stated above but my daughter asked me to be in the family plot at our home church going back to 1835. So I will.

But I liked the idea of the ongoing tradition and brotherhood of a VA cemetery. Have you heard the Trace Atkins song "At Arlington". Tears to eye but the unbroken brotherhood continues.

God Bless America and and the good hearted young men and women she sends forth

Old 05-28-2012, 11:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
My thoughts as well. And at least we have a good excuse for our lack of observance of the holiday up here in NE Florida:

Beryl forces cancellations, closings | jacksonville.com

BTW - the dead center of the storm passed about 2 miles north of our house. We're ok - and our house is ok (storm wasn't particularly strong - could have been a lot worse - and it did bring a lot of needed rain). Robyn
Glad you're OK. What a shame so much had to be cancelled. They also cut short the observance on the Capitol Mall.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:14 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Glad you're OK. What a shame so much had to be cancelled. They also cut short the observance on the Capitol Mall.
LOL a little off topic, I know, but I have to share my story about this.

Last night we had to choose between the observance at the National Mall or the Marine Corps Band at Wolftrap. We chose the Marine Corps Band, and glad I did because our concert didn't get shut down like the events at the mall did. Let me tell you those marines are tough! They just kept right on playing and even shot off the fireworks afterward.

But here's the hilarious part....

The freak thunderstorm blew in right before they started playing the 1812 Overture. Talk about surreal--talk about special effects!! It went from a balmy perfect evening to an intense storm in a matter of seconds. We had thunder, lightning, and the beat of heavy rain adding to the drama of the music... and even more dramatic was the screeching from every direction as all the people on the hill realized "OMG it's raining!" and then had to grab everything, round up the kids, and run for cover under the covered section near the stage. All the while the overture is playing the section with the bells and cannons.

Even though we got wet with everyone else I must admit it was bizarrely cool--the pandemonium hit its high point right in beat with the music, the cannons were synch0ornized with the lightning, and the rain calmed down as the piece calmed down.

Most awesome special effects for a concert by the Marine Band EVER!

Old 05-28-2012, 02:56 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Better safe than sorry in terms of public events and storms. This was perhaps an intermediate strength tropical storm (not a hurricane). You're safe and sound inside your house (unless a tree falls on it). But you're certainly not guaranteed to be safe and sound if you're outside. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement