Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:24 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I like pastels and warm colors that are cheerful and cozy.
If you rub your eyes really hard you can still get those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 10:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Peach....that's another color I love that they don't have anymore.

I think the color trends right now are especially cold, dull, depressing colors.....clinical.

I like pastels and warm colors that are cheerful and cozy.
Right now the aquas and soft blues are pretty good. I've just come back from Home Goods where I bought some new throw pillows for my family room. I saw some chambray blue and some soft aqua. I also saw pillows with multiple pastel colors in them. So the pastels are out there. For warm, I suggest you look into burlap which has gotten big again. You can buy burlap ribbon, for Pete's sake. I am thinking that burlap pillows would be great for fall decorating. I don't think the harvest gold has completely gone away, if that's what you mean about warm colors. I think I saw some of that, but also taupe. Not as much gray as I would have imagined.

I like gray. As I have posted before, you can find all sorts of lovely grays that make great neutral backdrops for other colors. The gray I chose for my kitchen looks amazing with light maple cabs and gray porcelain tile. I chose a gray with a slight red tone to complement other parts of the house. I love gray, actually.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Right now the aquas and soft blues are pretty good.... I love gray, actually.
Then you have moved to the right climate!!! 285 days / yr. of overcast skies

After 30 yrs in PNW, I had my fill, so now have a place in Austin for sun breaks. My spouse luvs PNW *even tho a So Ca kid. I find as my interests and hobbies (and abilities) change, I can stand to be in PNW a bit better. I still LUV these frequent flights to sun (SAN $20, SMF $39, OAK $59, SFO / SNA $79, DEN / TUC $89, SAT / AUS $99...)

I will really miss econo airfares... at some point they will go up. They are actually less expensive than my interview trip in 1979. I would not want to be a bean counter for the airline industry. We've been so lucky to have been able to travel so much, eat inexpensively, low housing expense, ultra low auto expense, and have low inflation and great offering of goods and services. This can't go on forever, maybe just the few yrs I have left will be a bonus! I don't see doom and gloom at the moment. (except during my winters in PNW)

I do miss affordable and accessible healthcare, and a 'family' Dr.
YMMV

Old 05-25-2014, 10:51 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,488,281 times
Reber Butter Beans

Old 05-26-2014, 08:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Still looking everywhere for REAL 100% cotton percale (heavyweight crisp cotton, not soft, not Egyptian) bed sheets. Tried Macy's, LLBean, Martha Stewart, Thomas Lee, Company Store (was sent samples), etc. Nothing is like the old fashioned kind we grew up with. Anyone have any other leads?

Old 05-26-2014, 11:54 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Still looking everywhere for REAL 100% cotton percale (heavyweight crisp cotton, not soft, not Egyptian) bed sheets. Tried Macy's, LLBean, Martha Stewart, Thomas Lee, Company Store (was sent samples), etc. Nothing is like the old fashioned kind we grew up with. Anyone have any other leads?
Look in thrift stores. That's my only hope if my old percale sheets ever wear out. Tag sales too. Sometimes someone cleans out a house and there are unopened packages of real sheets. If not, you have to put up with used ones but they're still better than what you can buy today--from places like China.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,767,554 times
I don't know if they are percale, but I love my Hotel brand sheets, they wear like iron.

Can't find decent canned chili. I tried the Wolf's, at one point in time it supposedly was legendary; it did not have me howling, however.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Sorry this is so late. Try Vermont Country Store:

The Vermont Country Store | General Store | Classic & Hard to Find Products

This place has lots of older sorts of products for sale. I know they carry linens.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,079,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Love it.
I'm in Texas so can't say for sure - isn't there some requirement or other in Oregon or Washington that smacks down self-service? I'm curious as to how that's working out.
New Jersey and Oregon do not allow pump-your-own gasoline. Attendants in those 2 states must pump your gas. And yet your cost doesn't seem any higher.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:30 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Success on the bedsheets. After traipsing through numerous stores (Penneys, Pottery Barn, Macy's, etc) and upscale places online trying to find the real old-fashioned all-cotton cool hard crisp sheets and not finding any, I went back to BB&B and found they have a Wamsutta "cool touch" sheet that nearly fills the bill. Not as heavy as those wonderful sheets of yesteryear, but close enough. So ladies, check it out if this is what you're looking for. They're sold as separates so you can try them out before getting a full set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement