Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:01 AM

730 posts, read 1,302,618 times

Advertisements

We've all heard the phrase "it's never too late" (especially at our age, I think!) but I've always had some reservations about the truth of it -- logic would, after all, dictate that in some circumstances it really IS too late, LOL -- but I just may be changing my thinking a bit.

Cliff's Notes version: When I was in my very early 20s I was in a serious relationship for about 3 years. He ended up relocating to a different part of the US and as many longdistance romances go, it gradually dwinded to nothing. I eventually heard via the grapevine that he married someone in his new location. Not an unusual story, except for the fact that pretty much every boyfriend etc that I had since that point was either consciously or subconsciously compared with Mr. First Love, if truth be told. ;-)

Fast forward to this past Thursday when I ordered something online and had to speak to their customer service department about shipping options. The rep was a very nice gal, very helpful. During our conversation she asked if I am located on Long Island and I said yes (thinking perhaps she's an ex-pat). Then she asked me if by chance I went to (X) high school, to which I also said yes (even more puzzled). Finally she asked if I ever knew someone named (Mr First Love). At that point I nearly fell on the floor; turns out this gal is his daughter! And she recognized my name why? Because her dad (during the years after he and her mom split up) had not only talked about me but kept all my old letters from back in the day. :-O

His daughter asked if it would be okay for her to pass along my email address to him. I said "Sure" (couldn't trust myself to say much more than that, LOL) and got an email from him last night. Long story short, he moved back to LI about 3 years ago and is living about 15 miles from where I live now! He too had heard from others that I had married (but didn't know the name). We are going to meet for dinner on Tuesday evening. Talk about having 18-year-old type butterflies again!! :-D

So... I just may be revising my thinking about that old timeworn "it's never too late" phrase. ;-)

Anyone else have a "never too late" story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 09:03 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times
I can't think of a "never too late" story at this moment, but no one said it better than Yogi Berra,

"It aint over till its over."

Old 06-22-2014, 09:11 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
That is an exciting "never too late"!

I will be checking back to hear the rest of the story.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
This is such a story!!
I would love to know how old you are...
And I will ck back, too!!!
This is going to be wonderful, I think.

I have friends with somewhat of a similar story (except a pregnancy, thus,
daughter, the male didn't know about for 36 yrs)....they married at 55....and made
Dateline with Katie Couric!

PS I llived on LI for years. That's why I'm in CO now, ha!

Old 06-22-2014, 09:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
I know of two such stories!!!

Both couples are in their 80s and were high school sweethearts, who were reunited after their spouses died.

One was reunited after attending their 50th high school reunion.

The other couple was reunited with in the last 5 or so years, after the lady moved back to her home town and discovered that her former sweetheart had moved back, as well.

It can happen! Of course, folks can change a lot over the years and may not have the same values and interests any longer . . . but in my own situation, I have found that folks I grew up with are still very much the same people I knew at 18. So you never know til you reach out and explore the possibilities.

This is so exciting! The very least that will come out of this is most likely a friendship and some good reminiscences. GO FOR IT!!!!

Old 06-22-2014, 10:26 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Reminds me of Last Tango in Halifax. If you haven't seen the series, do!

What are you going to wear??? (the women on here want to know)

Old 06-22-2014, 11:24 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,983 times
We are hoping you have a marvelous time.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
I was married for 25 years to the mother of my children. After two years of living like a monk and at age 50 I decided to try a bit of a social life. A relationship and marriage were the furthest thing from, my mind so I asked out a former coworker for whom I had absolutely no romantic feelings but whom I had admired and respected professionally and with whom I was comfortable and could converse. Two months later we were married and now have been for a few months shy of 18 years. It's no where near as compelling a story as yours, SONY, but since I has sworn off marriage following a contentious divorce (she left me for another) it does prove another element of "it's never too late."

A bit closer to the mark, about six years ago I "ran into" my old college sweetheart, now an actress and acting coach, online while researching theatrical venues for my daughter who is a dance teacher, choreographer and judge. She was divorced although when I divorced she was still married. She had dumped me in 1966 while I was in basic training after I enlisted for Vietnam and for years I had pined for her. We did a lot of catching up about our families and ourselves and it didn't take long for me to realize that we were horribly mismatched, right down to where to live. She love the city life and I came to love the rural life. She loves to be noticed and adores socialization. I'm more of a loner - kind of a gregarious, anti-social. In this case it was way too late and that was a good thing. It can be a blessing. I would have married her 48 years ago and it would have been a disaster. We are, however, still friends and email one an other on occasion.

I sincerely hope your date goes wonderfully well, you are comfortable, have fun and things progress, or not, naturally and with no hurt feelings however things turn out.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:15 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
It's never too late. What an amazing coincidence.

At the very least you two should have fun discussing old times and memories and you might get a very good friend out of it. Don't go into it with raised expectations though. I mean this sincerely, just take it as it is. People do change, you have changed and so has he. Let us know what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2014, 12:19 PM

730 posts, read 1,302,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What are you going to wear??? (the women on here want to know)
As you can imagine, that very question has been driving me nuts all day! I have been to five stores already, duh.

I haven't worn dresses for many years (in favor of jeans/teeshirt) but back in the day I wore them all the time because, well, not to toot my own horn or anything LOL but I used to have really really nice legs. And yes some of those skirts were pretty short for that very reason. (hey if you got it, flaunt it, right?) Of course 64-yr-old legs just don't look the same as 20-yr-old ones -- don't we wish? -- but I'm still thinking dress, something just below the knee? And somewhat fitted, because ironically despite occasional ups (pregnancy) and downs (during chemo) my weight this morning is exactly what it was when I was dating him (118).

He always liked me in blue (I have blue eyes) so that's what I'm looking for. Found a few in which the color was right but the style was wrong. And even more vice versa (if I had a dollar for every time I said "if ONLY they made this in blue..!!!" so far today, I'd have enough to buy the dress, LOL). So tomorrow I'm heading to the biggest mall here (Roosevelt Field; Miss Hepburn will know where that is, LOL) to see what I can find.

Thank goodness that the one pair of pumps that I own are in a neutral color (beige) and will go with anything. Actually I bought them last year to wear at my son's wedding. Which was the only time I've worn a dress since... hmmm... New Years Eve 1999/2000. Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement