Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 AM

13,408 posts, read 28,747,273 times

Advertisements

Don't think it's an issue at all. One less day to collect junk out of mailbox.
To close any more days I think would have a negative effect on business at least into the next decade.
As more people become computer savvy and have bills, quarter end statements etc etc sent electronically and pay bills electronically as well the post office may be able to go to a 4 day week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,032,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
The Postal Service announced this morning they cutting Saturday mail delivery to trim costs; it's about time!!

I have emailed my elected more times than I could even count urging them to allow the USPS to cut Saturday delivery.
It's the elected officials who have blocked this for years. And since Congress still hasn't approved this, I'm curious to hear the USPS's explanation this afternoon on how they will accomplish this cutback absent Congressional approval.

For the record, I'm all for the elimination of Saturday service.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 AM

858 posts, read 2,994,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
It's the elected officials who have blocked this for years. And since Congress still hasn't approved this, I'm curious to hear the USPS's explanation this afternoon on how they will accomplish this cutback absent Congressional approval.

For the record, I'm all for the elimination of Saturday service.
Agree; this is just another instance where congress is pandering for the vote instead of doing their job.

Hopefully congress will allow the Postmaster General do what he was hired to do.

The USPS really needs to be a private organization VS a government controlled agency; that will allow them to implement best business practices.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:13 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,449,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Certain people?

Wonderful, now we have another one on the Retirement Forum.

Are you psychic, too?
Wow...You must be the board "thought policeman"....You would have thrived in Eric Honnicker's East Germany....

Old 02-06-2013, 08:20 AM

671 posts, read 1,119,740 times
They story I read said they will still be delivering packages on Sat. There goes the gas savings and half the personnel costs? That was a crazy compromise.

I guess they are assuming perishables or live chickens, but really can't most things wait?

My boss hated the idea because if you sent out bills on Friday they would be delayed. Seems like you have to change your work schedule to another day.
'

Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,032,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
They story I read said they will still be delivering packages on Sat. There goes the gas savings and half the personnel costs? That was a crazy compromise.

I guess they are assuming perishables or live chickens, but really can't most things wait?
It has absolutely nothing to do with that. Their private-sector competition delivers packages on Saturday so they must continue to do so also. It's as simple as that.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
I live in a rural area and this will be zero change - they aren't open now on Saturday anyway. They never deliver packages larger than an envelope, they just leave pick-up notices in the mail boxes out on the main road (2 miles from our house). The local office is always kept on a shoestring - open 8:30-4:30, M-F (heaven help you if you work down in town, you can never get your packages if you work 8-5).

and, re: chickens. Since this is a rural post office, they are used to dealing with day-old chicks. They only accept them for shipping out on a Monday (presumably so that they can be at their destination without a delay over a weekend), and if you are expecting them, they will actually call you at 7am, when the morning's mail truck arrives, to come get them.

re: keeping competitive with other delivery services which deliver on Saturday - Saturday deliveries? Ahh, you must live in a largish city. Saturday deliveries by UPS and FedEx are only offered in certain areas

Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,018,243 times
UPS & FedEx don't Deliver Packages on Saturday unless you pay extra for Saturday Service.

I'm willing to bet, there is some language in postal code that does not require 1st/2nd/3rd Class mail to be delivered, but some language that says 4th Class packages must be.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
UPS & FedEx don't Deliver Packages on Saturday unless you pay extra for Saturday Service.
They don't deliver on Saturday here for love OR money.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,479,590 times
Once or twice (at the most) a week is all that is needed for regular mail delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement