Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Oh, my! What was intended to be light and fun as turned somewhat dark and ominious. The pesky, mischevious, eternal optimist in me has but one comment. Pity!
Just goes to show you can't kid around with the realities of old age!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
My guess is you cut the blood flow to your legs when you were squatting. When you stood up, blood rushed to your legs, from your head, causing you to have a micro blackout and falling backwards. Next time don't squat for so long, but if you do, rise up slower so your blood doesn't rush to your legs. Also, hold on to the shelf as you get up, to help with your balance.
If she had done this perhaps all of the shelves in front of her (instead of behind) would have crashed down.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Neg - I can see you are very worried about this. Go see your Dr and get checked just to put your mind at ease. When something like this happens it's easy to get into a panic like mode and then all natural reasoning mis functions and these events seem to multiply, as in your case.

I've had an experience that I'll never forget - a long story that I don't have time now to go into but it involves the time (5-6 years ago) when I drove back from FL and I ended up getting lost in my own city, in areas (I was all over this city) that I knew well and even when I was 1 mile from my own house. It was 3 a.m. and it took me 2 hours to find my house. If I had been stopped I'm sure I would have appeared to be a crazy woman because I was - never been in such a state of panic in my life and in this case, it was due to lack of sleep. Clearly a state of adrenaline overload combined with lack of sleep.

Put your mind at ease and see your DR or you will continue to worry about this. I'll bet many people here have experienced similar times.
I am going to ask for a neuro test. Plus I'm going to beef up the B vitamins and start again on gotu kola (or is it ginko biloba, have to ask my herbalist) for memory. I think I haven't been getting enough sleep (all the way thru the night), excited about the births. I'm still wired (maybe too much coffee too).

Old 02-15-2013, 03:24 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,900 times
All true!

And since seeing Quartet, I must ask you to add "Seasoned Wood" to the list.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 PM

7. Things you buy now will never wear out.

Thinking about this a lot, as I decide what to replace when (appliances, car, etc). I actually asked the Maytag dealer if I can get a fridge, washing machine, and dryer now that are guaranteed to last 20 years. He said I would do best to buy all the extended warranties. What appliances and car would make it for another two decades if bought soon? Or should I wait till each completely breaks down and then deal with it?

Sorry, Curmudgeon, but your humorous list is raising some serious questions.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turu View Post
The one "perk" that will bring the greatest joy to me is not on the list. That would be retirement. Looking forward to waking up at who knows what time, and having that first cup of coffee. Every day is gonna feel like a kid waking up during the summer vacation and just having endless fun things to do.
One of the best things in my life happened almost 13 years ago, and I still experience it almost every day to this day (and expect to feel the same way for many years to come): Every morning when I sort of wake up but not quite there, the first thing I do is asking my husband, "What time is it?" He would search the bedside table for his glasses and his watch, and tell me the time. It does not matter what he says, because I would always answer, "Oh?", before snuggle under the duvet again for an undetermined amount of time.

The experience probably would have been better if I have a taste for coffee, but it's wonderful enough as is.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:51 PM

125 posts, read 228,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Hold those thoughts! I still do and it's been almost five years. It makes retired life ever so much more pleasant than fretting would.
Fretting? Who me? I can assure you that once I reach retirement, that wont be the case. In fact its not even part of my vocabulary.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:57 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
7. Things you buy now will never wear out.

Thinking about this a lot, as I decide what to replace when (appliances, car, etc). I actually asked the Maytag dealer if I can get a fridge, washing machine, and dryer now that are guaranteed to last 20 years. He said I would do best to buy all the extended warranties. What appliances and car would make it for another two decades if bought soon? Or should I wait till each completely breaks down and then deal with it?

Sorry, Curmudgeon, but your humorous list is raising some serious questions.
Also check your Vit D - I keep hearing that most women are lacking Vit D and it causes lots of problems.

Interesting thoughts about appliances (great thread curmudgeon, dear) - I moved in here in 1994 and dragged the frig I bought in Denver in 1992 with me. When the movers were taking it off the truck they dropped it - yep, I watched as that thing hit - about 2-3 foot drop. I thought it was a gonner but I was too tired to make a big deal of it right then. It seemed to be working OK so I basically forgot about it. It's still working like a champ. The frig that was in here was moved to the laundry room - still works like a champ too - have no idea how old it is but guessing it's older than the one I brought with me so that makes them both 20 years old or older. Shame that things today are such trash and yet cost so much more.

OK - carry on~~~

Old 02-15-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Also check your Vit D - I keep hearing that most women are lacking Vit D and it causes lots of problems.

Interesting thoughts about appliances (great thread curmudgeon, dear) - I moved in here in 1994 and dragged the frig I bought in Denver in 1992 with me. When the movers were taking it off the truck they dropped it - yep, I watched as that thing hit - about 2-3 foot drop. I thought it was a gonner but I was too tired to make a big deal of it right then. It seemed to be working OK so I basically forgot about it. It's still working like a champ. The frig that was in here was moved to the laundry room - still works like a champ too - have no idea how old it is but guessing it's older than the one I brought with me so that makes them both 20 years old or older. Shame that things today are such trash and yet cost so much more.

OK - carry on~~~
Taking D-3 religiously.

What brand of fridge? This is the brand that will serve me for life.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:10 PM

125 posts, read 228,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
One of the best things in my life happened almost 13 years ago, and I still experience it almost every day to this day (and expect to feel the same way for many years to come): Every morning when I sort of wake up but not quite there, the first thing I do is asking my husband, "What time is it?" He would search the bedside table for his glasses and his watch, and tell me the time. It does not matter what he says, because I would always answer, "Oh?", before snuggle under the duvet again for an undetermined amount of time.

The experience probably would have been better if I have a taste for coffee, but it's wonderful enough as is.
Every once in a while I daydream about such things, sounds wonderful! I can only imagine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement