Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 12:29 PM

22,100 posts, read 13,106,304 times

Advertisements

HRT as a beauty aid, anyone; is it really the fountain of youth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 01:24 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,360,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

I can't take hormones as I have a clotting problem. But even if I didn't I'd never take any of it. it's not worth the potentially very serious problems.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:33 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,519,448 times
Probably the fountain of death

Old 08-10-2015, 05:47 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,566,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It helps. But, if one hasn't been on HRT starting in their 50's, beginning late in life is very difficult - too hard to balance, too much of shock to the system. I am positive the rich and famous - and that includes Philbin and Trump (did you know Trump is 69?? - I didn't until yesterday)- are on hormones. Lots of good docs on the East Coast and FL doing that. And Joan Rivers, too. That woman could get down on her knees in heels - and get up without help - saw her do it on QVC last year. Astonishing. It's more than just exercise. Diane whatshername (jeans designer) on HSN has been on HGH for years - she publicly admits it. She's in her mid-late 60s.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:48 PM

7,064 posts, read 6,330,799 times
What I enjoyed most was not using make-up anymore. What a freeing experience. I use fa c e & neck creams/ointments when I think of it but...wish I could get rid of bras but can't yet. Too much jiggling. I do wear comfortable ones though.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,557,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
(did you know Trump is 69
Yes. And although he obviously gets facial peels, he still looks extremely puffy and bloated, and somewhat unhealthy.
I don't hold his age or appearance against him but I believe he looks older than many men I know who are in the same age range.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:42 PM

7,064 posts, read 6,330,799 times
I just think he looks like a fool.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:33 PM

1,110 posts, read 899,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
How have you coped with losing your looks (if you feel you have lost your looks)?

I had a couple of very rough years, and aged ten years in one year. When I see my photos, I think I look "ugly."

I am not sure what to do about this, because I am not going to be getting more attractive with age.

How do you manage seeing less than flattering pictures of yourself as you age?

I just processed a bunch of pictures and actually said, "You are ugly."

I think I am seriously ugly now. I used to be attractive, so it is a little disturbing. I would be okay with just losing my looks, but crossing over into ugly is too much.
Every time that I have taken a picture, I think that I look really, really horrible. When I look at the picture a few years later, I think that it was not such a bad picture after all. You suffer from low self esteem. You are YOU. Not everyone was put on this earth to win beauty contests. If someone has gotten by on their looks, they will be very disappointed as they grow older. Time to cultivate a new side of the whole person. Get involved with charity, charity recipients will be grateful, or get an animal. They do not care what you look like, and they will love you nonetheless. Think of all the less than wonderful looking persons who have made significant contributions to the world, such as Mother Theresa, Golda Meier, Eleanor Roosevelt, Sir Winston Churchill, etc...

Old 08-26-2015, 09:01 PM

79 posts, read 82,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
How have you coped with losing your looks (if you feel you have lost your looks)?

I had a couple of very rough years, and aged ten years in one year. When I see my photos, I think I look "ugly."

I am not sure what to do about this, because I am not going to be getting more attractive with age.

How do you manage seeing less than flattering pictures of yourself as you age?

I just processed a bunch of pictures and actually said, "You are ugly."

I think I am seriously ugly now. I used to be attractive, so it is a little disturbing. I would be okay with just losing my looks, but crossing over into ugly is too much.
You are too hard on yourself, although I understand because I’ve felt the same way when I see how I’ve aged. When I look at people I’ve known a long time, I can see they look older, but they seem as attractive as they ever were. I can’t see their wrinkles and grey hair as ugly. I don’t know why I can’t see myself as kindly as I view others. Maybe we both should change how we perceive our own aging.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:29 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,842,874 times
To the OP. For your own sake, don't pass judgment on yourself on how you think you should, or shouldn't look. Life can be difficult enough without putting our own selves up to ridicule about whether or not we are as photogenic as the next person is. For me, looks are superficial. It is what's in the heart that matters. Love yourself, and it becomes so much easier to love others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement