Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 10:18 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times

Advertisements

The one thing that does bother me is my neck. For some reason I lost a lot of weight within a couple months. A lot of tests were done but nothing was detected. Because I'd gained a lot of weight after the back operation & subsequent inactivity I was okay with the weight loss, although worried as to the reasoning, it did create an awful look to my neck. I'm trying to keep it moisturized but it doesn't seem to help. Oh well, I finally have the cheekbones I always wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 12:50 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
As long as my looks do not effect my health I only want to age gracefully as they say. As long as I can do what I want physically then to heck with looks.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:21 AM

566 posts, read 592,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Out of curiousity I looked up that brand. About $400 for one that I was looking at! So then I looked up some natural, homemade products and maybe people can do almost as well with their own ingredients. I just use olive oil. Sometimes I made a mixture on the stove of olive oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, coconut oil, kelp, lecithin.....can't even remember what else but it's a nice cream using a recipe that I found online a few years ago.

Then today I saw that you can use ordinary rose hips to make a really good vitamin C product. I saw rose hips in the natural food store today and I'd rather save the $20 and just wait a month or so when I'll have more rose hips than I know what to do with right in the back yard. Cook 'em, strain 'em, bottle 'em.

Oh, and exfoliate with olive oil and sugar. Then if you want, you can apply yogurt to your skin. Remember, Cleopatra and her milk baths?

I guess those expensive products are fine for those who have $400 to spend on cosmetics every few months but I sure am not one of those people.
Awesome post!!

Old 08-01-2015, 06:03 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I look in the mirror as I shave, and think, "not bad Davey boy for 61........." Then, I put on my reading glasses, and catch a glance by accident in a mirror. Not quite as good as I thought......... Fading eyesight has it's advantages........
Again I suggest the pink lightbulbs in the bathroom mirror - NOT overhead, but on each side. Works miracles.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
....try Perricone products - and Perricone sub d for the neck. I don't use the latter b/c I don't have neck issues, but I hear it works wonders. Can't say enough good things about the face products (double whammy if you use Perricone cleanser w/a Clarisonic brush and Perricone serum prep before applying moisturizers).
Not to burst anyone's bubble about Perricone, but my niece, a dermatologist, had sent me an article similar to this one awhile back (cannot find it but this one gives the same kind of info):

The Unrecognized Risks of Perricone, M.D. Skin Care Products

"....the use of nanoparticles in cosmeceuticals poses a generally unrecognized major public health hazard. Nanoparticles readily penetrate skin, and can invade underlying blood vessels and produce distant toxic effects, including brain degenerative disorders and nerve damage.

"Based on a January 6, 2010 Skin Deep report by the Environmental Working Group, at least seven of 26 Perricone's products were found to contain nanoparticles, while a total of 25 contain a wide range of other toxic ingredients...." [another article lists: acrylamide, ethylene oxide, dioxane, nitrosamines, formaldehyde]

—Samuel S. Epstein, 2010
Cancer prevention expert, Prof. emeritus at U. of IL School of Public Health, Chicago

Old 08-01-2015, 02:12 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Heh - well I take some small comfort that I'm a new (and sparing) user, the research is over five-years old. Can't find anything more recent. Most commercial products contain all manner of 'toxic' ingredients. Two nontoxic organic lines I tried were totally ineffective as to controlling breakouts, moisturizing, not to mention lines.

Me, personally, I am totally up a creek w/other lines and home remedies - so, at this point, am not about to embark on yet another search and waste even more dollars attempting to find a routine that actually improves and normalizes my skin - instead of irritating.

20 years ago when Victoria Principal bought her line from Aida Thibedeau, products were a life saver. Then she began tweaking, and eventually they became unusable for me. So sad when I had to discontinue.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:36 PM

496 posts, read 553,137 times
Not sure why it is, other than the common knowledge that aging usually involves disability and always precedes death, and nobody likes being reminded (by seeing signs of age in others) about disability and death.

Also, while many women can support themselves these days, most still seem to depend heavily on a man...and youth and beauty = greater choice of men. So there's a financial aspect, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

Why are we so caught up in youth anyway?

Old 08-01-2015, 07:29 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Skin Care: The Unrecognized Risks of Perricone, M.D. Skin Care Products*|*Samuel S. Epstein

Old 08-02-2015, 07:48 AM

I also posted this, two posts above. I doubt much has changed in the 5 years since the article was published. Maybe even more "stuff" has been added. My Italian and French grandmothers used only cold water on their faces, no creams or lotions or whatever. No makeup either, as they believed it clogs the pores and keeps out oxygen. Lovely skin, no sagging or wrinkles. Their faces were often over a steaming pot of food in the kitchen, so maybe that helped.

I was exfoliating with olive oil and seasalt, but since reading the benefits of nutmeg for this, I use that instead of the salt and I like it. Instead of obsessing over my looks, which I could easily do, I'm going for feel-good. Few people notice folks over a certain age anyway (other than a big smile), so why fret.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:26 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Health, health and more health................as we get older and either richer or poorer our health is the greatest asset we can hope to maintain!

Good looks will not help me walk the beach or drive my car!!

Just my three cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement