Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 04:13 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Fresh and healthy comes from good skin care and diet. Before you even contemplate this unnecessarily expensive and risky procedure, gonna say again, try Perricone products - and Perricone sub d for the neck. I don't use the latter b/c I don't have neck issues, but I hear it works wonders. Can't say enough good things about the face products (double whammy if you use Perricone cleanser w/a Clarisonic brush and Perricone serum prep before applying moisturizers).

A few months on Perricone, with a decent diet (eliminate refined carbs and sugar, eat fresh wild caught salmon and fresh veggies and fruit, drink water), moderate exercise, and you shouldn't need surgery. Of course, if you smoke and drink and can't give up either, well, then, surgery may be necessary. But, your healing abilities are impaired because of those habits which makes surgery dangerous.

I would never have surgery for purely elective cosmetic reasons - ever - unless it was to remove a disfiguring scar or reconstructive.
Out of curiousity I looked up that brand. About $400 for one that I was looking at! So then I looked up some natural, homemade products and maybe people can do almost as well with their own ingredients. I just use olive oil. Sometimes I made a mixture on the stove of olive oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, coconut oil, kelp, lecithin.....can't even remember what else but it's a nice cream using a recipe that I found online a few years ago.

Then today I saw that you can use ordinary rose hips to make a really good vitamin C product. I saw rose hips in the natural food store today and I'd rather save the $20 and just wait a month or so when I'll have more rose hips than I know what to do with right in the back yard. Cook 'em, strain 'em, bottle 'em.

Oh, and exfoliate with olive oil and sugar. Then if you want, you can apply yogurt to your skin. Remember, Cleopatra and her milk baths?

I guess those expensive products are fine for those who have $400 to spend on cosmetics every few months but I sure am not one of those people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 04:29 PM

720 posts, read 766,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwtxcitywoman View Post
I plan to have a brown/neck lift sometime in the next couple of years after I retire. Not trying to look "young" but just fresh and healthy.
Here's what I say--do what you want girl! If the brow (not brown right?) lift makes you feel good I say ride it till the wheels fall off!

Old 07-30-2015, 04:33 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Out of curiousity I looked up that brand. About $400 for one that I was looking at! So then I looked up some natural, homemade products and maybe people can do almost as well with their own ingredients. I just use olive oil. Sometimes I made a mixture on the stove of olive oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, coconut oil, kelp, lecithin.....can't even remember what else but it's a nice cream using a recipe that I found online a few years ago.

Then today I saw that you can use ordinary rose hips to make a really good vitamin C product. I saw rose hips in the natural food store today and I'd rather save the $20 and just wait a month or so when I'll have more rose hips than I know what to do with right in the back yard. Cook 'em, strain 'em, bottle 'em.

Oh, and exfoliate with olive oil and sugar. Then if you want, you can apply yogurt to your skin. Remember, Cleopatra and her milk baths?

I guess those expensive products are fine for those who have $400 to spend on cosmetics every few months but I sure am not one of those people.
What you wrote is a lot more do-able for me. Thank you.

I have a lot of weird little things on my legs. I wonder what would work on them. They feel like cluster scabs and if I itch them they bleed sometimes. Also little pimply white things behind my knees and around my ankles. I have a lot of brown spots on my legs, too, from too much sun over the years.

I'm not a young kid but with this hot weather I wear shorts and think my legs are awful looking.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:47 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Out of curiousity I looked up that brand. About $400 for one that I was looking at!

I don't spend that kind of money, at all. I bought a TSV (five products/auto ship includes a sixth- av cost $28/product) from QVC ($160) beginning of January and supplement w/brand new products off eBay for half price or more. So far, this year - 7 months, I may have spent $250 - and I've still got a lot of product in reserve. I consider that a HUGE bargain for the results - beats the cost and risk of cosmetic surgery, any day - not to mention total frustration with sensitivity, irritation, you name it, I had it.

Also, my skin has been a huge problem all my life - I tried everything you've mentioned and more. NONE of the natural products or concoctions ever worked for me. Tried two different organic lines for a while - both completely ineffective - and blemish causing. For years Victoria Principal worked - and then it didn't.

Avoided Perricone for years b/c, like you, I thought it was too expensive. QVC TSV made it possible. After further reading, I added a few things off eBay (50-75% off) - and VOILA - it's a miracle. Cheap at twice the price - but I'm not paying those prices. Products last a long, long while b/c, for me, they're so effective I use very small amounts. Also, not necessary to do the entire routine twice a day - once is fine. Once a day with either day or night cream works just fine. Bunny lines at nose are gone, forehead lines very light, no crows feet at all, no pores, no breakouts, no redness, no irritation, good color and texture. Skin never looked so good ever - even when I was younger when generally, it was terrible comparatively speaking. Couldn't be happier.

I only wish Perricone had been available when I was young. Could have avoided so much heartache and frustration, not to mention $1,000s spent on dermatologists and trying yet another ineffective product, home remedy, etc.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-30-2015 at 05:33 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 05:05 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
I'm 63, same age mom died. She looked at least twenty years older, but had advanced emphasima which she had tried to hide and would not go to see a doctor. I've been told I don't look my age, and considering Grandma didn't maybe its in the genes, but I admit to some nice little helpers I barely have wrinkles other than the forehead and a helpful bowl of cream is proving effective at making them less.

That said, no surgery or stuff like that. The stuff that bothers me most are sore fingers (one won't bend on its own currently, joint is really swollen) and a similar hip problem. I like that I do look younger, but partly that is because I chose to take precautions. Partly because of medical issues sun and I don't mix. I gave up sunning myself in my early thirties. And after I figured out commercial hair stuff was ruining my hair I went to henna. Its longer than its been in a long time, not thick but then it never was. All those chemicals do catch up with you.

I have other health concerns which you just live with. But overall a long life in in the genes. I figure when I look it I'll just be older. So long as I can do the stuff which I enjoy, I'll be happy.

I'll use stuff I can rub on and continue to stay out of the sun, and eat reasonably, and when I look older, then I do. But no surgery, expensive treatments, injections.... and so on. If my fingers get bad enough I would though since its about something which would be a real loss.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:23 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I don't spend that kind of money, at all. I bought a TSV (five products/auto ship includes a sixth- av cost $28/product) from QVC ($160) beginning of January and supplement w/brand new products off eBay for half price or more. So far, this year - 8 months, I may have spent $250 - and I've still got a lot of product in reserve. I consider that a HUGE bargain for the results - beats the cost and risk of cosmetic surgery, any day - not to mention total frustration with sensitivity, irritation, you name it, I had it.

Also, my skin has been a huge problem all my life - I tried everything you've mentioned and more. NONE of the natural products or concoctions ever worked for me. Tried two different organic lines for a while - both completely ineffective - and blemish causing. For years Victoria Principal worked - and then it didn't.

Avoided Perricone for years b/c, like you, I thought it was too expensive. QVC TSV made it possible. After further reading, I added a few things off eBay (50-75% off) - and VOILA - it's a miracle. Cheap at twice the price - but I'm not paying those prices. Products last a long, long while b/c, for me, they're so effective I use very small amounts. Also, not necessary to do the entire routine twice a day - once is fine. Once a day with either day or night cream works just fine. Bunny lines at nose are gone, forehead lines very light, no crows feet at all, no pores, no breakouts, no redness, no irritation, good color and texture. Skin never looked so good ever - even when I was younger when generally, it was terrible comparatively speaking. Couldn't be happier.

I only wish Perricone had been available when I was young. Could have avoided so much heartache and frustration, not to mention $1,000s spent on dermatologists and trying yet another ineffective product.
That is really interesting. Ebay! I sell on ebay and I buy there too. Maybe it would be a possibility. I just have dry skin and of course it will eventually get thin and is probably already crepey and saggy and a little bit wrinkly. I am one of the older posters on here, so old that I know that "ladies" don't mention their age, lol.

I know one thing: I will never use peptides again. After reading about them a few years ago and learning that they were the main wonder ingredient in Avon Anew, I bought some of the super duper strength Avon Anew. So guess what. You can absorb copper (copper peptide) through your skin. Who knew? I didn't. It actually made me sick. Google helped by explaining that copper will reduce zinc. And zinc is something older people NEED as we are almost universally deficient in it. So I had to buy zinc tablets to feel better. Lesson learned.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:47 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
I just have dry skin and of course it will eventually get thin and is probably already crepey and saggy and a little bit wrinkly.
Perricone facial cream (use first) and face finishing moisturizer together are great for this. Initial shipment of TSV came w/o facial cream which I ordered off eBay - saw an immediate difference when I added the facial cream - although it can be too rich for me if I overuse - skin not that dry.

Quote:
I know one thing: I will never use peptides again. After reading about them a few years ago and learning that they were the main wonder ingredient in Avon Anew, I bought some of the super duper strength Avon Anew. So guess what. You can absorb copper (copper peptide) through your skin. Who knew? I didn't. It actually made me sick. Google helped by explaining that copper will reduce zinc. And zinc is something older people NEED as we are almost universally deficient in it. So I had to buy zinc tablets to feel better. Lesson learned.
I have noticed certain lotions, etc. make me sick or feel not well, so, yes, the skin absorbs.

That said, Perricone does use super duper peptides, and so far I'm fine. But, I also don't overuse the products. As I said, once a day is enough. Less is usually more.

Everyone is so different. What works well for one person doesn't for the next.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:30 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times
I use (gasp) shower gel and Eucerin extra moisture, essentially Crisco on my face. It works great but to each his/her own. I tried a couple of high dollar skin systems but could see no perceptible difference, even after a decent time period so I gave up on the expense.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Got into a swimsuit yesterday for the first time in a year. Not too bad, but not great either. At least I'm still on the slimmer side but even so it's a downer to see so much of the body at this age. Then again, I cope by considering the alternative, or that I could be facing a serious illness, and I'm okay.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:22 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Good for you! I haven't been in a swimsuit in years, lol. Keep my eyes closed when I get out of the shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement